Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

Annnnnnnd we're back!

Hi everyone! Sorry this took longer than expected. I naively assumed that the differences in the code and naming conventions for 2.0 (what I had been working on to test things out) and 2.0.1 would be minimal, but they turned out to be enough that I had to rebuild the new skin. Which is mostly what I've been doing today.

Plus you guys are so chatty that it took a lot longer to back up all of the posts last night than I thought it would. The table JUST containing the posts was 75 mb zipped, which is over ten times the size of what the entire database for the forum was 7 months ago. So that took an extra hour that I didn't expect and sent me to bed last night with less done that I had anticipated.

There's still some things that are unfinished, but they're things I can do later as I think the board has been closed for long enough. You'll notice that the option to choose your own font and post color are gone from the user control panel. They're coming back, but the old mod I did doesn't work on the new code, and another mod I tried to do the same thing turned out to be complete crap so I abandoned it. I figured it could be one of those little things I could work on in the wee hours on the morning in the near future when the forum is at its low point traffic-wise. The mood feature has gone text-only for the moment, because the old images looked bad with this skin. They'll come back when I have time to make them (i.e. within the two week or so).

And yes we have a new skin! Thought it was time, and I wanted something that sort of fit the season. The old skin will be coming back as an additional option, as well as another skin I have half-finished as well. There's also still the forum default option (the one that came with the software) available if you want the most work-friendly option. You can find a drop-box to allow you to switch skins on the bottom of every page.

If you have any questions on the new features, if you think something's missing or moved and don't know where it went, you find a bug, etc. PM me, don't start a new thread about it. I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you all might have, but I really get irritated if I have to field lots of chatter from the peanut gallery when I'm trying to work on stuff. Soon as we (the mods & I) can manage, we'll put something together outlying the new features as well as updating the board guidelines, at which point, you can start using the questions & forum ideas areas for this sort talk. But I really prefer one-on-one communication for questions.

Again thanks for your patience guys! I appreciate it!

SV, what an AWESOME THING to come home to!!! THE NEW FORUM LAYOUT IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Have I told you lately how much we love you?

:P :D :D

Sign in to follow this