Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

Lupercalia and Bony Moon are live at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab!

First things first! Pop open the champagne Will Call has come to New England!

New England Will Call

Healthy Living Market (inside the Learning Center)

222 Dorset Street,

South Burlington, VT, 05403

They will be hosting will call on Sunday, January 23rd, from 4 to 8pm.

Welcome to the family, Courtney and crew! We love you guys!

Kung Hei Fat Choi! Happy New Year, one and all! It's the year of the Metal Rabbit!

METAL RABBIT

A new year's blessing! Peony, China's national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, cypress for longevity, and peach fruit and hemp to represent the fourth phase of Wu Xing, with a splash of blazing red of dragon's blood... to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

Love is in the air at Black Phoenix, and to celebrate both Lupercalia /and/ our favorite Hallmark Holiday, we present a selection of seasonal scents, lecherous and lovely. Heartbreak, fascination, lust, loss, and licentiousness: we've got it all.

As always, our offerings during this Season of Schtupping contain adult material, and by clicking through to view the images and purchase our Lupercalia products, you are admitting that you are a dirty bird who is 18 or older, and that you are permitted by law to view suggestive imagery.

Blessed Lupercalia, everyone! The Season of Schtupping is here!

++ LUPERCALIA

THE ARBOR

He seems to be a god, that man

Facing you, who leans to be close,

Smiles, and, alert and glad, listens

To your mellow voice

And quickens in love at your laughter

That stings my breasts, jolts my heart

If I dare the shock of a glance.

I cannot speak,

My tongue sticks to my dry mouth,

Thin fire spreads beneath my skin,

My eyes cannot see and my aching ears

Roar in their labyrinths.

Chill sweat glides down my back,

I shake, I turn greener than grass.

I am neither living nor dead and cry

From the narrow between.

(Sappho, translation by Guy Davenport)

Shuddering, thundering, passionate: red musk, East African red patchouli, tonka bean, white gardenia, black narcissus, champaca flower, Roman chamomile, and massoia bark.

DOLCE STIL NUOVO 2011

Love always finds shelter in the gentle heart. Dolce Stil Nuovo is a 13th & 14th century Florentine literary style that celebrates love and womanhood through heartfelt, delicate, and melodious sonnets, ballate, and canzones. This is fin'amor, Courtly Love, in its most moving form, and the emotions that these words express reflect love that both spiritual and idealized.

Within this literary movement, earthly love reaches for the Divine.

Who is she coming, whom all gaze upon,

Who makes the air tremulous with light,

And at whose side is Love himself? that none

Dare speak, but each man's sighs are infinite.

Ah me! how she looks round from left to right,

Let Love discourse: I may not speak thereon.

Lady she seems of such high benison

As makes all others graceless in men's sight.

The honor which is hers cannot be said;

To whom are subject all things virtuous,

While all things beauteous own her deity.

Ne'er was the mind of man so nobly led

Nor yet was such redemption granted us

That we should ever know her perfectly.

Our interpretation of Dolce Stil Nuovo is a blend of rose otto, carnation, vanilla flower, lavender and jasmine with the clarity of crystalline white musk and the warmth of golden amber.

KHAJURAHO 2011

The fabled Khajuraho temples of India are shrines of love in all its myriad forms. They are a celebration of love itself - transcendental, spiritual and erotic. This is a rejection of sorrow, spiritual ennui and despair. The sexual motifs that adorn the temples, and the temples themselves, are monuments to ecstasy and to passion, and through that, they are also monuments to spiritual fulfillment. It is believed that the realization of moksha by dedicating oneself to adhyatma and dharma can be attained only by first experiencing sexual satisfaction. In the midst of the drudgery and struggle that we sometimes endure during the course of our Earthly lives, it is vitally important that we remember the joy found in kama, and that in kama we can achieve transformation of the body and soul. This is a blissful, euphoric blend based on an ancient Indian love potion: honey, date palm, tuberose, davana blossom, amber, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, Damask rose, and champaca flower.

LUPERCI 2010

Piss off, Saint Valentine! Lupercalia is an ancient Roman celebration, held on February 15th, that kicked in the advent of Spring with a very, very festive purification, fertility and sexuality ritual. The ritual began near the cave of Lupercal on the Palatine, an area sacred to Faunus, as well as Ruminia, Romulus and Remus. During Lupercalia, Vestal Virgins first made offerings of sacred cakes to the fig tree under which the she-wolf suckled the Sacred Twins. A dog and two goats were then offered in sacrifice to Faunus. The blood of the sacrifice was smeared onto two naked patrician youths, who were assisted by the Virgins, and the blood was wiped clean with sacred wool dipped in milk. The youths donned the skins of the sacrificial goats, wielding whips made from the goat skins, and then led the priests and the Virgins around the pomarium, and around the base hills of Rome. This was a ceremony of great happiness and merriment, and was of particular interest to young women: being touched by the goat-whips young men that led the procession ensured their fertility in the coming year. It is believed that, after the initial rite, male participants would draw the name of an available maiden, with whom he spent the rest of the night. This scent is for the Luperci, the Chosen of Faunus, the Brothers of the Wolf: raw, down and dirty patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk.

NIGHT'S PAVILION 2011

I worship you like night's pavilion,

O vase of sadness, o great silent one,

And love you more since you escape from me,

And since you seem, my night's sublimity,

To mock me and increase the leagues that lie

Between my arms and blue immensity.

I move to attack, beseige, assail,

Like eager worms after a funeral.

I even love, o beast implacable,

The coldness which makes you more beautiful.

Not the desperation, desolation and anguish of unrequited love, but the distant, chill and pitiless scent of the object of that doomed desire. White musk, osmanthus, Nile lily and frankincense.

OLISBOS 2011

As for old flames and lovers-they're none left.

And since Milesians went against us,

I've not seen a decent eight-fingered dildo.

Yes, it's just leather, but it helps us out.

The ancient Greeks sure weren't shy about taking care of business. The port city of Miletus was once famed throughout the Mediterranean as a source of excellent stone, wood, and padded leather dildos. This scent is the celebration of an age-old pastime: polished wood, well-loved leather, and olive oil.

PARLEMENT OF FOULES 2011

For the Valentine's Day purists.

For this was on seynt Volantynys day

Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his mate.

Medieval romance and courtly love. White rose and soft resins.

RED LANTERN 2011

A tribute to the opium den cum bawdyhouses of Shanghai in the 1930's. Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice.

SMUT 2011

After all these years, BPAL is smuttier than ever.

Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

TEARS, IDLE TEARS

Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean,

Tears from the depth of some divine despair

Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes,

In looking on the happy Autumn-fields,

And thinking of the days that are no more.

Fresh as the first beam glittering on a sail,

That brings our friends up from the underworld,

Sad as the last which reddens over one

That sinks with all we love below the verge;

So sad, so fresh, the days that are no more.

Ah, sad and strange as in dark summer dawns

The earliest pipe of half-awakened birds

To dying ears, when unto dying eyes

The casement slowly grows a glimmering square;

So sad, so strange, the days that are no more.

Dear as remembered kisses after death,

And sweet as those by hopeless fancy feigned

On lips that are for others; deep as love,

Deep as first love, and wild with all regret;

O Death in Life, the days that are no more!

(Lord Alfred Tennyson)

A bittersweet aquatic lifted by white rose, olibanum, amber, orris root, davana, and oude.

TIME DOES NOT BRING RELIEF

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied

Who told me time would ease me of my pain!

I miss him in the weeping of the rain;

I want him at the shrinking of the tide;

The old snows melt from every mountain-side,

And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;

But last year's bitter loving must remain

Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide.

There are a hundred places where I fear

To go - so with his memory they brim.

And entering with relief some quiet place

Where never fell his foot or shone his face

I say, 'There is no memory of him here!'

And so stand stricken, so remembering him.

(Edna St Vincent Millay)

Remembrance: Parma violet and leather accord with beeswax, Egyptian musk, orange blossom, white tea, lavender, myrrh, and copal.

VALENTINE OF ROME 2011

Many legends surround St. Valentine, and history has yet to show, conclusively, which ones are true and which are fiction. One tale claims that Valentine was a 3rd century Christian priest. When Emperor Claudius II declared that his soldiers were never to marry - the emperor believed that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and children - Valentine continued to perform wedding ceremonies in secret. When the emperor learned of Valentine's disobedience, he imprisoned the priest. The emperor chose to interrogate the priest himself, and despite his fury at his orders being flagrantly disobeyed, he was impressed with the priest's intelligence, wisdom, and passion. He attempted to convert the priest to the Roman faith, and was furious when he failed.

While incarcerated, Valentine fell in love with his jailor's blind daughter. Through God's grace and the power of Valentine's pure and true love for this woman, he was able to cure her blindness with a touch. Before he was beaten and beheaded, he sent her a letter expressing his feelings for her, signed 'From Your Valentine'.

Ecclesiastical incense, Roman flora, and the fruits of martyrdom: cypress, olive blossom, frankincense, myrrh, and blood accord.

WOMB FURIE 2011

In the middle of the flanks of women lies the womb, a female viscus, closely resembling an animal; for it is moved of itself hither and thither in the flanks, also upwards in a direct line to below the cartilage of the thorax and also obliquely to the right or to the left, either to the liver or spleen; and it likewise is subject to falling downwards, and, in a word, it is altogether erratic. It delights, also, in fragrant smells, and advances towards them; and it has an aversion to fetid smells, and flees from them; and on the whole the womb is like an animal within an animal.</i>

-- Aretaeus the Cappadocian

Oh, that wily womb! Hippocrates and his followers considered the womb a mobile creature, causing mayhem as it writhed its way through a woman's body. Sometimes this ornery organ, due to lack of sexual activity, would create conflicts within a woman's system or would become blocked itself, causing anxiety, nervousness, water retention, and sleeplessness. With the assistance of doctors, nursemaids, hand tools, or, occasionally, self-manipulation, this vexing condition could be alleviated through hysterical paroxysms.

Or, as we call it nowadays: orgasm.

An itch that needs to be scratched: Snake Oil and three types of honey.

We are thrilled to present another set of psychotically tantalizing confections from Arkham's finest chocolatier and the Miskatonic Valley's preeminent importer of otherworldly sweets: the Sugared She-Goat!

Maddeningly addictive! This Valentine's Day, melt your lover's heart, figuratively, with a gift from the Miskatonic Valley's premiere boutique chocolatier! This season's specialty truffles are handmade by subjugated monks from Ghatanothoa's monestary at Mount Yaddith-Gho, under the watchful eye of Mother Shub's high priests. Imported to Arkham from Mu, they are distributed exclusively through the Sugared She-Goat. Iä, Shub-Niggurath, the Malefic She-Goat of Many Sugary Treats!

++ LUPERCALIA: BOX OF CHOCOLATES

Dark Chocolate, Fig, and Tamarind

Dark Chocolate, Lime, and Chocolate Mint

Milk Chocolate, Cassia, and Bacon

Milk Chocolate, Raw Ginger, and Butterscotch

White Chocolate Martini

White Chocolate Mango Buttercream

(There is no bacon in the bacon chocolate. It's bacon accord, if you will, and contains no animal products whatsoever.)

Even though I just said it, this does bear repeating. The following Lupercalia sets contain nudity, depictions of sex acts, and other not-suitable-fer-younguns stuff. By clicking on the links or purchasing these products, you are affirming that you are at least eighteen years of age and that you are permitted by law to view suggestive imagery. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab is also not responsible for any pearl-clutching reactions to the themes we present. If you are offended by nudity, schtupping, marital aids, or any other naughty business, please go no further. Viewer discretion is advised!

For your pleasure, we are thrilled to present another whimsical sojourn to the bedrooms of Edo-era Japan -- Novel Ideas For Secret Amusements IV: A Shunga Exhibition.

This year, we also return to Cyprus and Cythera where we do honor to the Goddess Rising Out of the Sea.

And finally, we present Venustas: A tribute to William Etty and the Elegance of the Human Form.

++ LUPERCALIA: NOVEL IDEAS FOR SECRET AMUSEMENTS

AN APPRAISAL OF SENSUAL PLEASURE IN THE FOUR SEASONS

Wild plum, lemongrass, frankincense, honeysuckle, and teak.

BIWA

Tangerine, black currant, white musk, honey, and tagetes.

BURNING VULVA

Vanilla-infused amber, leather, beeswax, cyclamen, oakmoss, peru balsam, orange blossom, red ginger, tonka, opoponax, myrrh, and black pepper.

COUPLE ENGAGED IN LOVEMAKING

Honey, lemongrass, black tea, white ginger, and grains.

COPULATING MICE

Bergamot, clove, hazelnut, pecan, lavender, tonka, and thyme.

DANCING KOI

Brown musk, leather accord, toasted sandalwood, clove, labdanum, and champaca.

FESTIVAL MASK

Rubbed sage, ti leaf, osmanthus, immortelle, patchouli, amber, and mandarin.

GODS OF INTERCOURSE

Peach and peach blossom with rose geranium, red currant, pink musk, and gardenia.

HARIGATA II

Coconut, white amber, hazelnut, and anise.

LOOSENING OF THE OBI

Rice wine, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, and white musk.

SPRINGTIME PLAYFULNESS

Green and brown musks, coconut husk, wisteria, lemongrass, hydrangea, cranberry, woody sandalwood, and ripe squash.

TEA

Darjeeling tea, lemon verbena, star anise, and honeycomb.

USHI

Red musk, crushed tomatoes, mango, and fig.

YOUNG PINE SAPLINGS

Cream, clove, ginger, and honey.

To Aphrodite. Ourania, illustrious, laughter-loving queen, sea-born, night-loving, of awful mien; crafty, from whom Ananke first came, producing, nightly, all-connecting dame. 'Tis thine the world with harmony to join, for all things spring from thee, O power divine. The triple Moirai are ruled by thy decree, and all productions yield alike to thee: whatever the heavens, encircling all, contain, earth fruit-producing, and the stormy main, thy sway confesses, and obeys thy nod, awful attendant of Bakkhos God. Goddess of marriage, charming to the sight, mother of the Erotes, whom banquetings delight; source of Peitho, secret, favouring queen, illustrious born, apparent and unseen; spousal Lukaina, and to men inclined, prolific, most-desired, life-giving, kind. Great sceptre-bearer of the Gods, 'tis thine mortals in necessary bands to join; and every tribe of savage monsters dire in magic chains to bind through mad desire. Come, Kyprogenes, and to my prayer incline, whether exalted in the heavens you shine, or pleased in odorous Syria to preside, or over the Aigyptian plains they care to guide, fashioned of gold; and near its sacred flood, fertile and famed, to fix they blest abode; or if rejoicing in the azure shores, near where the sea with foaming billows roars, the circling choirs of mortals thy delight, or beauteous Nymphai with eyes cerulean bright, pleased by the sandy banks renowned of old, to drive thy rapid two-yoked car of gold; or if in Kypros thy famed mother fair, where Nymphai unmarried praise thee every year, the loveliest Nymphai, who in the chorus join, Adonis pure to sing, and thee divine. Come, all-attractive, to my prayer inclined, for thee I call, with holy, reverent mind.

++ LUPERCALIA: ODE TO APHRODITE

ANTHEIA

The Blooming / Friend of Flowers

Grandiflorum jasmine, Damask rose, ylang ylang, gardenia, sweetbriar, and apple blossom dusted by golden amber.

APATOUROS

Deceptive One

Black fig, green tea, opoponax, ciste absolute, myrrh, carnation, nutmeg, and Brazilian vetiver.

APATROPHIA

She Who Expels Sinful Lusts

A complex Eastern musk with orange blossom, peppermint, lime peel, spikenard, petitgrain, and white cedar.

APHROGENÊS

Foam Born

Orris root, iris, white honey, white sandalwood, coconut, and cherry blossom.

AREIA

Warlike

Dragon's blood resin, pimento berry, olive wood, rosemary, black cherry, persimmon, red musk, and red rose.

HEKAERGÊ

She Who Strikes From a Distance

Red patchouli, myrrh, lemongrass, gurjum balsam, lemongrass, lavender, and honey.

KATASKOPIA

She Who Spies

Tuberose, mandarin, jonquil, black sandalwood, green musk, styrax, hyacinth, and violet musk.

KYPRIS

She Who Furnishes Pregnancy

Peru balsam, vanilla bean, Rainier cherry, bitter almond, golden honey, rose water, lemon peel, sugar cane, and benzoin.

KYTHERIAN

She Who Conceals Love-Affaris

Black narcissus, purple orchid, neroli, white sandalwood, ambergris, plum musk, jonquil, thyme, oakmoss, and grapefruit.

NIKÊPHOROS

Bringer of Victory

Black currant, patchouli, blood orange, oakmoss, galbanum, benzoin, and white mint.

NYMPHIA

She Who Blesses Brides

White rose, apple blossom, spun sugar, mango, cucumber, freesia, coconut, and lavender.

++ LUPERCALIA: VENUSTAS

FEMALE NUDE, THREE-QUARTER LENGTH, BESIDE HER LEFT AN APPLE TREE

Mahogany, rosewood, and red apple.

MALE NUDE, ARMS UPSTRETCHED

Dark musk, linen, and red chypre.

MANILUS HURLED FROM THE ROCK

Frankincense, leather accord, sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, nutmeg, and violet leaf.

NUDE WOMAN RECLINING

Calla lily, honeysuckle, Turkish jasmine, ambrette seed, galbanum, iris, and bourbon vanilla.

THE RING

Antiqued amber, frankincense, patchouli, hay, oakmoss, skin musk, and white mint.

STANDING FEMALE NUDE

Red rose and red currant with amber, blood orange, myrrh, and golden musk.

SLEEPING NYMPH AND SATYRS

Wild woods, Bulgarian rose, tolu balsam, vanilla absolute, ambergris, honey, and vanilla.

WRESTLERS

Vetiver, guiac wood, peru of balsam, two musks, labdanum, saffron, and rum accord.

Look! Up in the sky! Bony Moon is live at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Black Phoenix Trading Post!

minibony.gif

BONY MOON 2011

In the stark darkness of February, food is so scarce that some are forced to chew bones and make marrow soup for nourishment. It is a time when we honor our ancestors with fasting, solemn ritual, and reflection on the triumphs and accomplishments of those who have passed before us.

White sandalwood, dry cedar, and radiant, crisp lunar herbs.

Amazing, AMAZING artwork by Julie Dillon! Julie, we are so grateful to you for sharing your immense talent with us!

Buy the companion shirt here!

Embalming Fluid and Snake Oil are now part of Black Phoenix Trading Post's permanent bath collection. Morocco and Shanghai bath oils have also been added! The price for Snake Oil has gone up, as several of the components of Snake oil are very precious and rare and it is extremely expensive to keep in production in this format. And, frankly… Ted uses a metric shit ton of Snake Oil in the mix.

The Dark Delicacies / Black Phoenix Valentine's Day scent is live on the Dark Delicacies web site, and are also available at their brick and mortar shop in Burbank, CA!

RED LACE

Blood-stained sweetness. Red musk, tobacco, red sandalwood, dried pomegranate, patchouli, dusty frankincense, and raspberry clotted over blackened sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton.

Red Lace is available exclusively through Dark Delicacies.

Dark Delicacies

3512 W. Magnolia Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91505

888-DARKDEL

http://www.darkdel.com

The Black Phoenix Trading Post Lupercalia update will be along shortly. We're shooting for a week from now.

I hate closing this update out on a gloomy note, but I have no choice. The following scents are being discontinued, effective immediately.

Cottonmouth

Ether

The High Priest Not to be Described

I Died for Beauty

Little Sparrow

The Macabray

Melancholia

Pannychis

The Unicorn

Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the lack of notice; we don't have a choice. We will be able to fill outstanding orders that contain these scents, but we cannot accept new orders for them.

Our first lunacy of 2011 will be the first will call to be held in four locations.

___

The west coast will call event will be held on Wednesday, January 19th from 7 to 10pm at Dark Delicacies.

Dark Delicacies

3512 W. Magnolia Blvd

(1 block east of Hollywood Way)

Burbank, CA 91505

___

GA Will Call will be at Whole Foods Market, aka Harrys Farmers Market, in Roswell, GA, on Sunday, January 30th from 5 to 8pm, inside Salud (which is inside the store.)

Whole Foods Market

1180 Upper Hembree Road,

Roswell, GA, 30076.

Whole Foods accepts Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express and cash. They will not be able to accept any preorders.

Seattle Will Call will be held on Wednesday, January 19th from 7:30 to 10:30pm at Knows Perfume.

knows perfume

4536 California Ave., SW

Seattle, WA 98116

(206) 397-3141

And last but not least, New England Will Call will be held at Healthy Living Market on Sunday, January 23rd from 4 to 8pm, in the Learning Center.

Healthy Living Market

222 Dorset Street,

Healthy Living will be accepting pre-orders. You can email Courtney at CourtneyW@healthylivingmarket.com or call her at (802) 863-2569 ex 301, by 1/12 to place your order.

___

The blends that will be available for purchase include those that went live on the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab website up to and including the Wolf Moon update. Forum only scents will not be available at Will Call.

We will no longer be accepting preorders at West Coast Will Call, with the exception of orders paid with Paypal, and orders for Twilight Alchemy Lab oils. We will do our best to accommodate all orders, but sales will be based on availability. At this time, Twilight Alchemy Lab oils will only be available at Dark Delicacies via preorder. Items from Black Phoenix Trading Post will be available at Dark Delicacies, subject to stock on hand.

If you have any questions, please email us at willcall@blackphoenixalchemylab.com.

Where/When:

West Coast Will Call at

Dark Delicacies

3512 W. Magnolia Ave

Burbank, CA 91505

Wednesday, January 19th, 7 to 10pm

Seattle Will Call at

knows perfume

4536 California Ave SW

Seattle, WA 98116

Wednesday, January 19th, 7:30 to 10:30pm

New England Will Call at

Healthy Living Market (inside the Learning Center)

222 Dorset Street,

Sunday, January 23rd, 4 to 8pm

Georgia Will Call at

Whole Foods aka Harrys Farmers Market (inside Salud)

1180 Upper Hembree Road,

Roswell, GA, 30076

Sunday, January 30th, 5 to 8pm

Blessed Lupercalia and Happy Valentine's Day to All! We truly hope you enjoy our Lupercalia offerings as much as we enjoyed creating them!