Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
wonderfinch

Are there any BPALS like YSL's Baby Doll?

I've recently gotten kind-of obsessed with BPAL, and the oils have definitely spoiled me-- I can't stand commercial perfumes now, I feel like they all smell too "chemically" for me, and I've started having a really difficult time picking out the scents from the alcohol and other things that are tossed in there.

That being said, there are a couple of commercial scents that I just adore, and would love to find in BPAL form. Chief among these is Yves Saint Laurent's Baby Doll-- I love that scent, but I just can't get over the alcohol mixed in with the oils. According to the YSL site, the top note is grapefruit, the middle notes are rose and currant, and the base note is sandalwood-- though, to tell the truth, the currant is pretty faint, and the roses completely dominate the scent. Anyone know if there are any similar BPAL scents (not even with the same note, just the same sort of feel)?

I'll admit that I've never smelled Baby Doll but going from the notes list I have a few suggestions:

Venice Wanderlust lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf.

A strong, womanly floral with bright citrus and currant notes grounded by the orris and sandalwood. I'd say this is probably your best bet because it hits up a lot of the Baby Doll notes.

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente Bewitching Brews Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

A rosy/fruity scent. Light and crisp and has a bit of that commercial smell without the alcohol haze.

Namaste Bewitching Brews Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

I find the lemongrass strongest in this. It has a very laid back, cool, earthy vaguely hippie vibe to it.

Blood Countess Diabolos Corrupted black plum, smoky opium and crumbling dead roses covered by a deceptive veil of Hungarian lilac, white gardenia and wild berry.

A bright, fruity womanly scent. I wear this one a lot and I find it's a really nice rose/gardenia over ripe fruits.

Persephone Excolo Pomegranate and rose.

A sort of pink rose with a bright, fruity twang.

Croquet Mad Tea Party Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.

Maybe a bit more on the fruity side than the rosy side.

The Knave of Hearts Mad Tea Party Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts.

Foody roses.

Don't kill me for telling you this :lol: but a v. difficult to find bpal is very, very, very close to Baby Doll, which was one of the very few commercial perfumes I ever wore regularly. It's called the Ecstasy of Infatuation, and if you love Baby Doll, it'd be worth seeking it out.

@ paperrose:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was thinking Croquet sounded similar-ish to what I wanted, but none of the others even occurred to me-- I'll definitely have to give them a shot! Venice sounds especially promising, and it's been on my "to-try" list.

@ allidavie:

Oh, thank you!

I think you've created a monster-- that sounds so promising, and I'll probably spend the next few weeks trying to track down a bottle (and then trying to track down the money to pay for it, haha).

I love YSL Babydoll, and though it is not exactly the same, BPAL's Privilege (The Paris Hilton LE :lol: ) is very similar. Very sweet (but not sickening) and young smelling. I like wearing it when I'm in the mood for Babydoll but don't want to smell like alcohol.

Edited by ancilla

Sign in to follow this