Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

We're back! For the second time in a week!

For those of you who didn't check the status blog at anytime in the last 24 hours, yesterday the forum's database kept breaking due to resource issues on Monday and I took us down for fear of things getting worse and breaking to the point it'd be difficult to fix. The forum using even more processing resources, bandwidth, and RAM than it was a year ago when we were forced to seriously upgrade our hardware. Like at least 50% more, if not double that, so quantum spice had been talking about eminent hardware upgrades for a few weeks now and decided to go ahead and do it two weeks ago. I got the new server last friday and began (slowly) getting things set up over the weekend, hoping for a slow, smooth transition with minimal downtime. :D

Funny how things work. I was just telling Beth a little more than a week ago that I wanted to go ahead and get us moved as I was afraid that if we didn't act we'd see repeats of what happened back in march of 2006. In my head I was picturing issues popping up like in June or July, not 9 days later. :P

But it was fortuitous I guess because it meant that the move was well underway when I had to unexpectedly start the server evacuation, which means we were only down for 22 hours rather than a week or more the way we were last year.

As for the move, I think everything made it over okay. If there are any missing posts, topics or PMs that you notice, please PM me to let me know. I can't promise I'll be able to retrieve them, but if they're important I will do my best.

Also for the next 24 hours, I wouldn't be surprised if some people were still unable to access this new server using our domain address. Domain propagation relies on the ISP to update their records and point to the new IP address, and some ISPs are quicker to do so than others. The process can take up to 48 hours (I started the process at like 5am CST this morning FTR), but obviously it doesn't have to take that long. My ISP handled it about 9 hours, but quantum spice's ISP is still pointing the domain at the old server if that's any indication.

So sorry to inconvenience or disappoint anyone still unable to access the forum. It's out of our hands!

Sign in to follow this