Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Torrilin

BPAL scents that are similar to Lancome perfumes

This was a limited edition fragrance as part of Lancome's Fall 1998 collection, and I loved it. No headaches, and it smelled very different from the things I usually wear. The stuff is sufficiently obscure that I had to dig through the alt.fashion archives to come up with a description:

"To say Red without saying a word, Fred Farrugia has created a scarlet

explosion of noble wood, Oriental spices, soft amber, benzoin and musk. This

warm, sensual and thermal eau de parfum is presented in a

skinny glass tube, like a lipstick, and can be taken everywhere.

Family: Woody oriental

Head : fresh citrus

Heart : spicy

Base : Woody and balsamique"

My reaction at the time was it smelled like cinnamon, vanilla and burnt paper. So I was probably responding to amber and benzoin as vanilla, and cinnamon is an oriental spice. No idea where I got the burnt paper, but most reviews did mention it smelled like something was burning. The burnt paper note amused me greatly, and the fact that it was a sweetish fragrance that didn't give me headaches* was a huge plus.

So, are there any BPAL oils that smell like burnt paper?

Kalli

* I've confirmed that I get headaches from pretty much anything described as a "spring flower". The list gets kinda long, and it's everything, including the actual plant that gets me. Spring is not my favorite season *g*. Lots of other flowers are my friends tho, especially if it's summer or autumn.

I don't know of any BPALs that smell like burnt paper, specifically, but Djinn smells like a wood fire. Chimera has cinnamon and vanilla. For some reason I'm also thinking Perversion -- it has vanilla, tonka, and a slightly "burnt" or ashy note.

I know this is the BPAL forum, but I'm wondering if you'd be better off looking in the mainstream fragrance world for something similar to Now or Never. Maybe Fendi Theorema, or Le Feu d'Issey Light?

Good luck!

The problem is my allergies, and honestly the sweet is not the main allure for me... it's the burnt smell. Fire! Burn!

Most of the "fiery" commercial stuff I've tried doesn't actually smell burnt, it's spicy. Usually headachey too :-/. I react to iris, neroli, lilac, narcissus, at least some lilies (tho calla lily plants are safe), hyacinth, probably ylang-ylang, freesia... or if it's a commercial fragrance, it's going to try give me the headache of doom. For a lot of these, it's not a natural vs artificial issue either, the actual plant will get me. Haven't found an orange tree in bloom yet this year, and I don't know what ylang-ylang looks like, or freesia so I'm not sure the plant gets me on those.

It's pretty common for me to try a commercial fragrance that's supposed to be single note of lavender and I end up with a headache because they added other things. So far with BPAL, if the notes are listed and I get a headache, it's because I didn't pay attention to a known guilty party.

Djinn sounds interesting, so it's probably worth a try. Ditto Perversion. Worst case, I get a headache and email the lab to try to figure out why.

Kalli, who is not at all a pyromaniac. really.

From the commercial perfume world I would recommend Donna Karan Black Cashmere (which smells bonfire-y to me). For BPAL Hunter Moon (which was an LE and may be hard to find) is pure smoke/burning to me.

I really LOVE LOVE Lancome Miracle and Magie Noire. Now I'm looking for BPAL oils that resemble. Is there any recommendations ?

Here are the notes found in the description of the perfumes:

Miracle:

Classification: Crisp Floral (citrus fruity)

Top Notes: Freesia, Lychee

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Magnolia, Ginger, Pepper

Base Notes: Amber

Magie Noire:

Exotic top notes of hyacinth, cassia, bergamot, rasberry, and galbanum, a sensual heart of jasmine, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian rose, lily of the valley, narcissus, honey, tuberose, and orris, and rich basenotes including spices, sandalwood, ambergris, cedarwood, patchouli, oakmoss, musk, civet

Sign in to follow this