Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

On forum fundraisers

Fundraisers are great things, they really are. I love how warm and caring this forum is. But, I fear that it may make us vunerable to predators and people who twist or stretch the truth for a few extra bucks - especially when the recipient isn't (for instance) a charity but a "friend of a friend of a friend" of a forumite.

As a result, we do request that before starting a fundraising thread or post, you get in contact with us first to get permission. And when I say request, I mean "moderators are allowed to make any fundraising thread or post not previously approved disappear" - so it's not so much a request as a requirement.

Even if it's an absolute emergency, there is usually someplace that can be turned to in the interim (legal aid, advocates, shelters, the Salvation Army, food banks, churches, etc. will usually help try to get someone out of a bad situation with legal advice, support, shelter, clothing, food, medical attention, and so forth).

I hate to do this, but better to be a little cautious than to have our warmhearted members get jaded by a variety of scams, yes?

Just a reminder that we still require administrative approval for fundraiser requests - even for charities. Topics created for fundraising efforts that are not approved by SV or I will be made invisible and archived.

Bumping this, because we have had several instances lately where people have been making topics for fundraisers without seeking approval.

Sign in to follow this