Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Wasn't sure what cherry musk would bring. Personally I usually like maraschino cherry but never  the lollipop/cough drop strident version of cherry.  This is marachino all the way....muted by the sandalwood, grounded by the musk, slight powdery haze around the edges probably from orris root?.  This actually smells how I thought the cherry incense would.  Surprisingly i can't pick out honey, just a general mid-range sweetness. 

This starts with a sweet cheery musk. The cherry is a bit candy like, but that cherry doesn't stick around very long.

Pretty soon, the ylang and honey are both noticable. It's a darker honey that feels almost caramelized. Unfortunately, this ends up not being a good thing for me, as ylang ylang can go quite powdery on me. 

Between that and the orris root, it leads to a sweet, powdery musk with a floofy floral floating on top and a dry, woody sharp sandalwood beneath.

If ylang ylang is your thing,  this is a warm incense sweetened by honey that blends nicely with that note.

Not for me.

This opens with a good, in my face cloud of cherry musk that's close to the one in Cherry Red.

The cherry backs off after a few minutes and I get a sweet, cherry tinged Ylang Ylang and orris scent that is somewhat syrupy.

The sandalwood is a very mild background note.

I find myself wishing there was a touch of something earthy or warm in this. Maybe tobacco?

I get more musk as it dries down.

A musky, fruity floral syrup to add seltzer and ice to for a refreshing summer drink.

in the bottle: cherry cough syrup

on the skin: the cherry chills out almost immediately, and it's mixed with an almost syrupy, herbal, woody scent. This reminds me a little of Death on a Pale Horse (possibly bc they have the same white sandalwood, but also  ylang ylang and yuzu might smell similar). It doesn't change much after this, the cherry fades more and it's still dark syrupy woods. I’m not super wowed by this, I think I was hoping for a lighter scent? The dark golden syrupy-ness from the sandalwood + honey (I realized later that I'm likely smelling the ylang ylang more than the sandalwood) weighs this down a little too much for my tastes. (And I think I'd just reach for Death on a Pale Horse if I wanted this vibe).

i get maraschino cherries that are quite sweet with a hint of something kind of woody in the background, maybe the white sandalwood. later on there's a sweetness from honey and the cherry has calmed down a bit but there is also something mildly toasty. not sure what that is. i don't seem to get orris and ylang ylang adds to all the other notes but is not super prominent. i like this one but it may be a bit too sweet for my tastes. 

In the bottle: Maraschino cherries, heavy on the syrup.

Wet: Still getting those syrupy cherries, and the cherry musk aspect is coming out. An extra sweetness is there from the honey.

Dry: There's the orris root! So now this is a fucking unbelievable cherry musk supported by the orris and honey. I can only suppose that the white sandalwood and ylang ylang are also playing support roles, but I cannot single them out. I'm fine with this, as white sandalwood has been a death note in the past and I've never been crazy about ylang ylang. So far, wear time is around six hours or so and the throw is medium.

UPDATE 1/24/2024:

Oh skin, why are you like this?? My skin eats this blend now. It's a wonderful blast of syrupy cherries with a dash of orris for about 20 minutes before it disappears to just the vaguest hint of flowers. =(

Edited by Tamarinda
Update

I can only smell the candy sweet cherry for about the first 10 minutes and then it's all about the sweet, powdery notes.  The white sandalwood does its usual baby powder thing and then orris root comes in smelling like powdered sugar and silvery floral.  There are hints of sweet honey and floral ylang ylang, but mostly it's very powdery and dry.