Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blue musk, sugared violets, dried blackberry, opium tar, bat orchid, and blue rose petals.

I really love the concept of this scent!  Alas, it is perhaps one of the least rosey Rose scents from BPAL that I own, and it is a bit cacophonous and chaotic.  Overall, it reads as a fruity tropical floral, which may be totally up someone's alley - it's not quite the type of scent I wear or reach for often (the fruits - I'm a tropical floral wolf for sure)

Whiff from the bottle and immediately on is a very sweet blackberry, primarily, on the skin and for the first few moments it's really orchid forward, with a smidge of sweet opium-like smoke, but not very much of that lingers or remains.  As a violet lover I was really hoping for that to be up center, but I can't really detect that.  It must be, like the rose and blue musk, sort of lending an undercurrent of sweet - but I think the blackberry and orchid really steal the show here.  Even with more time, I can't get much more than a very well blended and chewy blackberry scent, with a floral backdrop, but not a classic rose at all.

I'll still keep and reach for this here and there, the bottle and concept are wonderful, a bit of a miss on this violet and blue musk lover.

This is mostly the Lab's fresh blackberry with darkly shaded dusky floral musks supporting with mostly rose leading the way, (I think, tends to morph a lot). I was hoping the blackberry would behave on me although it rarely does as the other notes are lovely, but it's doin its normal bit where it goes wonky and kinda sour.

I will say this is a sister to Lady Una though, somewhat in scent but mostly in mood, like a sister who doesn't visit the honey or teapot but goes swimmin in a vivid blue faerie pool at dusk with unnaturally illuminated blue shaded florals and wild blackberries surrounding. I wish I could pull this off because the visual is fun!

I agree not much discernable violet or blue musk. More of a sugary floral, musky bouquet with berries. There's a bit of Hope and Faith vibe with the sugared floral bit, so there's an almost Carnival Diabolique feel, but it doesn't read mostly one floral or the other. 

I can screengrab (sorry I'm exhausted that's the verb thst came out lol) the opium now and then and would probably love it in this context otherwise, but I do feel you have to like/love blackberry or sugary florals to get going with this blend.

I'll hold on to it for a while and see where it goes, it's going to be pretty on the right people.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

Blue Silk Rose, with notes of sugared violets and dried blackberry and elusive hints of citrusy rose and smoky musk, is a light, impish fruity floral that's the olfactory equivalent of excellent advice from astrologist Rob Brezny, something fun about liberating our imaginations and encouraging us to visualize life as a mythic quest. It's the playful poetry of the weightless, mid-air hops and skips between dodging the shadows or jumping over the cracks in the sidewalk, a bright pop of color on a grey day, a tiny reprieve from the everythingness of everything in a waft of fleeting sweetness.

Edited by ghoulnextdoor

Nondescript in the bottle. On the skin it blossoms into a soft floral and berry. (I cannot pick out orchid, violets or rose at this point) The thing is, I get the weirdest sensation of blue silk flowers. Is this the power of suggestion? In further drydown, I get the musk. The opium tar is light.  Yes, there is some sweetness. This is more of an experience than a perfume for me. 

I will test it again, but it may not be violet-y enough for what I was after.

I got plenty of blackberry at first, and then the rose emerged and stayed dominant. I was hoping for violet and other notes to make this more complex.

Blackberry on initial application, and then that moves to the background and the rose and violet move forward and I'm left with expensive soap. Rose is always a tricky note for me, and I was hoping for something similar to Black Butterfly Moon, Bakunawa, or O Daughter of Death and Priapus but unfortunately the notes I was hoping to be forward are not what I'm getting from this. I'll retest after it settles, but I'm suspecting this one is a miss for me.

Edit- tried it again last night, unfortunately the rose and violet took over, along with some opium tar. The opium alone would have been welcome, but the violet and rose induced a headache. I'll need to re-home this bottle. *Sigh*

Edited by Larinessa

Well, it's a good thing I really like this one because I just spilled the entire bottle of it on my bed and pants by mistake.  Anyway, this is really all about the rose and violet together, with the resins taking up the third seat mostly.  Think of it as a non-sweet version of Hope and Faith.  Liking this a lot!