Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A ripple of dark bourbon vanilla and sleek black musk with black truffle, tuberose, and ambergris accord.

Fresh out of the mail, this is much lighter and more floral than I expected, i'm not really picking up the musk or truffle (I expect these will come with time). The reminds me a lot of Mother Ghost from Crimson peak with a darker edge.

Its a gorgeous well rounded floral with a hint of vanilla and a background hum of silk. I have no idea how Beth does it but this smells honestly smells like a silk flower!!

I’m in loveee with this one, it’s a gorgeous SUPER well blended ambergris + Tuberose + musk scent to me. Like imagine a silky black Tuberose scent that’s not indolent in any way, shape, or form, would be the perfect scent to wear with a slinky black dress & dark red lipstick, sipping on a drink at a whiskey bar, very Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if she also liked soft white florals 🥰 No truffle as far as I can tell. This one also has great longevity! Throw is medium. Snagged a backup immediately! 

Edited by myla.mouse.n.di

Black Silk Orchid looms from the vase sweet and shadowy, summoning associations of a trio of BPALs I know and love: the dark brown sugared musks of Smut, the deeply vanilla-patchouli incense of Snake Oil, and Haunted's murky, mysterious amber glow. There's a breezy element that runs through it, though, something that sets it apart, conjuring something wholly new. It's a thin, weird wind, not brisk and autumnal and not of the gentle spring variety; it's not outdoorsy at all. More like a draft from deep within your home that you can't locate, a door that maybe you didn't even know was there, ajar and inviting things from beyond. It's full of darkness and a bit dusty, emanating from somewhere utterly, disturbingly, unknown. A prickling shiver you feel when somewhere in the old house, in an unused, forgotten room, a vampire quietly steps out from inside a grandfather clock at the stroke of midnight.

Edited by ghoulnextdoor

A deep, sweet vanilla floral, reminding me a bit of Spoopy Kid Assaulted by a Sunbeam, but with a delightful hint of tuberose.

oh boy. sometimes i make some really oddball decisions when i'm swept up in the heady excitement of a new big drop.  which is how i ended up with a decant of black silk orchid, a fragrance that i doubt anyone who knows me would ever mark for my interest.  it snagged my attention though, so here we are.  but you know? after testing this, i'm not questioning my choices quite so vigorously??

this is a dark, slinky, seductive floral. slightly provocative. deep and sweet, musky, vanilla-forward. there's an air of sensual vintage gloom to it. i can't get the image of maila nurmi's vampira out of my head.

i did wonder how the black truffle would present, but i've never had the privilege of trying truffles so what do i know, really? i think i'm picking up on what could be called an umami undercurrent that balances out the more sweetly assertive and familiar notes in the upper register.  possibly the power of suggestion, because i admit that i am a suggestible creature.  but there's something here, something deep, dark, and sly that i can't quite account for.  

i am strangely enamored with this perfume.  how cool would i be, if even just a little of my persona could be reflective of this scent on occasion.  maybe by wearing it, i can manifest a bit of that persona when the whim strikes me.  definitely hanging onto my decant.  kooky!

Edited by MamaMoth

Beautifully blended.  The tuberose and black musk are light, so if anyone was cautious about those notes, probably no need.  Black truffle?  Does that mean the mushroom or chocolate?  No matter, I can't pick out either. The ambergris is perfect, also soft.  I get an intoxicating powdery smell into drydown.  I can't stop sniffing, because it changes and to my nose/skin chemistry, the ambergris is the featured note.

Like with the Blue Silk Rose, this actually smells like silk.  Of the three flowers I smelled (Peony, Rose and Orchid), this is my favorite.

Edited by Minh Scent

This scent is beautifully executed and I can see being very popular. 

With that being said, I personally am a fan of tuberose and other white florals, but don't get much tuberose at all. Black Silk Orchid is mostly black musk and amber on me (very much like Haunted from the GC line) with just a hint of floral peeking through. Its beautiful, but just doesn't feel like me. This is definitely one of those scents that wears you and will probably help you slip into a bad bitch persona if you desire. Very femme fatale. Its not too sweet nor overly strong, but it is unabashed. 

Edited by ziggystardust13

So mysterious, like the glowing moon  rising over a midnight sea. I might call this silver goth. They never wear black, only white,  and allergic to the sun, with sharp teeth.
I have a stellium in Cancer, Sun Moon Mars Venus. This scent is so much like this cluster all mashed up and magnetizing everything else. It has a sort of magnetic pull to it, like you're hovering over a chunk of the moon stuffed into a jar. I had to transport a piece of the NASA moonrock for a job several years ago. It was encased in the weirdest, obtuse box I had to hold away from my body through the airport. The night before my flight, my husband and my daughter all huddled in the darkest room we have and pointed a flashlight on the moon. It was like nothing else i've ever seen before. Bajillions of tiny black crystals all squeezing themselves together. We cried it was so marvelous. This is what I think of when I smell Black Silk Orchid. It is literal mojo moon magic. 

To me, this scent is Elvira or Cruella de Vil. It's a bit campy, silky, but it commands attention. She wakes up late in the afternoon and stays up late into the night. In the bottle I get more of the bourbon vanilla but once I put it on I, of course, amp the tuberose which has a honeyed white floral scent that is haunting. It's a ghostly pale Elvira in a silky black fringe and feathers. 

A deep black resin floral scent. On me, I get the ambergris, black musk, and a floral note. It definitely brings to mind black satin petals of a large, blooming, synthetic flower. Deep, resin-y, slightly heady, and slightly sweet. Overall, a darkened floral musk.

Immediately beautiful in the bottle. Dark, alluring, and a black sheen of a scent.

Idk why exactly but this scent reminds me of the scene in Twin Peaks with the guy and the plants all over his house. It is a little campy! It’s something a dark and vampy woman walking through the rain going to solve a mystery would wear.

It’s got this almost candyish edge/black musk thing and definitely smells like a silk flower.

I’d only be able to wear this scent if I had some serious evening out- I love it but it’s so extra. It’s not offensive to the nose in any way- it’s pretty- but it’s such a statement.

The words read clearly "Black Silk Orchid." Yet I picked it up hoping for fresh floral and black musk. There is black musk, but it's far more of a black silk than the normal musk. It's sort of sleek and very nice. I don't know why I'd expect something different.

Does anyone else read the tuberose in this more as a gardenia note?

Overall: Incredibly soft and pretty-- I would have thought this would be out of character for me, but it's just a real pleasure, and incredibly soft also in the sense that I feel the need to sniff deeply and very close to my arm-- it doesn't exactly fill a room. I can't get enough.

Tropical florals + ambergris x black musk (but not too much) + vanilla = definitely agree, Elvira but she's moonbathing on the beach and can't be bothered. 

The vanilla smooths out the black musk just enough where it's not a problem note, and the beachy vibes are smooth, not too sharp or ozone, just fresh and breezy, clean but no laundry, everything is darkened a bit, like if the tropical florals were grey, blue, purple, and black. There is a bit of a gardenia vibe, totally agree.

I love this. it feels like wearing an Enchanted Cloak Of Badass.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This gives me some Tom Ford Black Orchid vibes.

The black musk-tuberose-vanilla-truffle combo is so smooth and addictive. A truly bewitching scent!