Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ms. MSGirl

The Lowdown on Incense & Resin - The Best Recommendations

Scherezade: to me, it smells like incense, old books, and that lovely saffron smell

Dragon's Heart: the resin and musk seem incensey, before they give way to the fig

Tears: had the smell of burning sage (kind of an incency note) in a room with a wooden floor that has opened it's windows right after a good strong rain...

Voodoo: way more to this scent than just incence, but at times it would smell like incence burning around a campfire in the middle of a pine forest.

Having only read the description off the site, I'd still have to agree with everyone else: The Catepillar is the best bet for an incence scent. :P Hope that helps.

Hi! I'm a newbie, but have loved fragrances for as long as I can remember. I'm a MUA gal who now has a bourgeoning BPAL addiction. Here's some things that I like, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have! TIA! :P

LOVES:

Matthew Williamson Incense

Diptyque Tam Dao

L'Artisan Passage D'Enfer

L'Artisan Tea for Two

Regina Harris

Yosh La Contessa

BPAL'S:

Haunted

Anne Bonny

Eclipse

Dana O'Shee

Well, I'm not familar with any of the scents that you listed, but I have found a number of the BPAL blends to smell like incense. I'd suggest:

Penitence

Cathedral

The Caterpillar

Thanks magikfan! I'm plotting an order right now, and I just added your recs to the list!

Well, I'm not familar with any of the scents that you listed, but I have found a number of the BPAL blends to smell like incense. I'd suggest:

Penitence

Cathedral

The Caterpillar

I'm not sure about any of your other loves, but I've tested some of the BPALs you listed...

You might like to try the following BPALs:

Snake Oil

Magus

Xiuhtecuhtli

Bastet

Greed

The Coiled Serpent

Dragon's Bone

You might also like Cairo (previously Old Cairo), a very aromatic and fruity incense; and Scherezade, at the seductive and sophisticated end of the incense spectrum. If you like rose, I found Wanton to be lovely and undeservedly underrrated.

From your list you seem to favour feminine scents, but if you ever want to branch out and try more masculine scents, I have to mention Nyarlathotep.

Oh, and if you like Eclipse, you have to try Black Phoenix! :P

If you can find it, All Saints' (a Halloween LE) is very floral-incensey....

Thanks so much everyone! I've got those all written down. And had previously ordered Bastet unsniffed, now I'm *really excited about trying it.

As for masculine scents...Yes, I really do like those too! Mostly I like them for the notes. Anything with Frankincense, Sandalwood, and Myrrh is gonna tempt me!

Thanks Again!!

I do much better on scent recommendations when I'm at home with my spreadsheet in front of me, so I may edit this post and add a couple of other ideas in later ...

I just tried Gaueko, and out of the bottle I would never have suspected how gorgeous this dries down - beautiful incense. There are a couple of others that did the same thing for me; I'll look them up for you tonight. :P

ETA: Okay, now that the spreadsheet is in front of me, I'd say Black Lotus, Cathedral, Serpent's Kiss, Old Sybaris, Scorpio, and Mars. They're all incense-y, but in different ways. Hope this gives you some options! :D

Edited by jj_j

you might want to try gaueko. it isn't exactly dark, but it has some GORGEOUS incensey components in it.

lust is another extremely incensey one, as are kathmandu and cairo. :P blood is a bit incensey, and brimstone might be worth a try. scherezade is nice and spicy. every time i wear it someone says, "something smells like incense. is.. that you?"

omen sounds like it has some incense components, as does raksasha.

I found that Darkness smelled very incense-y, without being too heavy. Well, that it until I doused my DH in it... then it was a bit much.

Yay! I'm so glad you started this topic. I'm a newbie too and the fragrances that you use are something I'm looking for too.

Hi! I'm a newbie, but have loved fragrances for as long as I can remember. I'm a MUA gal who now has a bourgeoning BPAL addiction. Here's some things that I like, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have! TIA! 

LOVES:

Matthew Williamson Incense

Diptyque Tam Dao

L'Artisan Passage D'Enfer

L'Artisan Tea for Two

Regina Harris

Yosh La Contessa

I only have a 5ml of Midwinter's Eve which I like but want with the same sweetness but with spicy/incense notes too! I'm taking notes. I have a feeling BPAL is going to become my new obsession. :P

I'm going to have to second:

Cathedral

Penitence

The Caterpillar

Aureus

The Coiled Serpent

Gaueko

Of those, I absolutely adore Cathedral, Penitence, Aureus and The Coiled Serpent and like the rest and I'm a certified incense-scent addict. Anne Bonny is my personal favorite, but I know you've already tried it. :P

you must try nephilim!!!!!!!!!

it was my first big bottle and i LOVE it... great incensey blend!!!!!

i also must reccomend ALL SAINTS if you can find it!

i was lucky enough to get a bottle. if you want i can decant an imp for you...

:P

OMG! Yes, I'd love to try an imp! I can send you a decant of Eclipse if you're still looking to try that one. Thank you so much!

:-) Just send over your addy!

you must try nephilim!!!!!!!!!

it was my first big bottle and i LOVE it... great incensey blend!!!!!

i also must reccomend ALL SAINTS if you can find it!

i was lucky enough to get a bottle. if you want i can decant an imp for you...

:P