Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ms. MSGirl

The Lowdown on Incense & Resin - The Best Recommendations

I have no problem with incense notes but the problem comes to when I put it on. I put just a little on and within moments I'm choking in it. I try to put as little as I can but then I can still just smell the incense. Are there any ones that can be recomended that have incense in it but arnt strong? I want to try Morocco but I'm a little unnerved.

I also like scents with vanilla, and sweet or foody scents :P I also like hazelnut, coconut, pumpkin. I'm not a big floral person but I do love Rose Red.

Valentine Of Rome is a must-try for lovers of frankinense!

Word to that! It's beautiful, smoky & exotic & the Yum.

Dracoo9, did you get a chance to try Morocco since your last post? I'm curious what incense scents you've tried so far, maybe we can narrow down what it is that amps on you... I'd avoid Scherezade, Anne Bonny, and Penitence - all gorgeous, but very heady. Perhaps Bastet or Xiuhtecuhtli would work for you... the Lion is spectacular, all amber rather than incense...

So. I know it's unfair to wax rhapsodic about that which is nigh unattainable... but the original Celestial Aries is a frankincense lover's dream - hot pepper & ginger at first, but with that stunning white floral note that frankincense sometimes has when wet (I get lots of it in Valentine of Rome, too)... it dries down to almost a frankincense single note, deep & warm & bittersweet :P I've decided that if I had to smell like only one thing for the rest of my life, it would be frankincense...

Valentine Of Rome is a must-try for lovers of frankinense!

Word to that! It's beautiful, smoky & exotic & the Yum.

Dracoo9, did you get a chance to try Morocco since your last post? I'm curious what incense scents you've tried so far, maybe we can narrow down what it is that amps on you... I'd avoid Scherezade, Anne Bonny, and Penitence - all gorgeous, but very heady. Perhaps Bastet or Xiuhtecuhtli would work for you... the Lion is spectacular, all amber rather than incense...

No, I havent tried it yet. So far I've tried Dee, Harlot (it said its based on an incense blend so I dont know if that counts but for having so much rose in it, it deffenently did not smell of rose), Uruk, and Death on a Pale Horse became pure incense on me even though it wasnt listed. And I know this isnt a very big list of scents I've tried with incense in it but thats due to the fact that after the second try I've kind of ruled it part of the 'stay away from...' list along with more earthy and wood scents.

Edited by Dracoo9

Bumping this topic to see if anyone knows of a BPAL scent - LE or GC - similar to YOSH La Contessa, which has been discontinued and is impossible to find. The notes are: Parvati and Arabian sandalwoods, Oriental kush, night queen, cucumber, bergamot and vanilla. It's sort of a warm, resinous, incensey floral that's not really a floral, if that makes any sense. It's not a super-dark heavy scent. BPAL's Vixen is close but much heavier than La Contessa.

Parrot, you might try Siren. It becomes sweet, spicy incense on me once the ginger and jasmine have calmed down.

I would love to find something that smells like Japanese temple/meditation incense. I would especially love any scents featuring agarwood. I have tried Tushnamatay and it does not have that particular vibe for me. Any recommendations?

Edited by Siberia

When I first wore Antikythera Mechanism, no less than three people informed me that I smelled like a specific pagan bookstore in town--"not the one in Nashville, the one here!"--and they had, at the time, a huge display of Asian incense by the door which is pretty much the smell I associate with the place. Don't know how much that helps, but it may be worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have been wanting to try Antikythera Mechanism, and I have an order pending for Temple Viper. The other ones sound good, too.

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but this seems to be the best place to ask my question.

What incense or resin scents are the most like those in Antony? I really love Antony, but the sage, basil, and leather don't come out on me at all and I almost feel like I'm wasting it just to have the beautiful incense smell. I've also tried Dee, which I like a lot, but prefer the incense in Antony.

I can't wear patchouli as I amp it like crazy, and thus didn't enjoy The Caterpillar at all. I also don't care for florals or food scents.

Thanks very much for any advice!

Edited by pteron

Hello! I've just inherited some BPAL oils over the weekend. I'm thrilled with them (and with the forum!) and I'm trying to put together my first order.

I intend to buy three or four imp packs, and I was hoping I could get some suggestions based on what I like so far. The oils I've been given tend toward the dark and/or incensey. Love 'em!

I love Samhain, Sin, Scherezade, and Spellbound. Are there more like these? I like incense, musk, patchouli, sometimes mixed with dark sweetness like vanilla. I don't like fruity florals or light scents, I just can't pull them off.

Thank you for any help!

Hello! I've just inherited some BPAL oils over the weekend. I'm thrilled with them (and with the forum!) and I'm trying to put together my first order.

I intend to buy three or four imp packs, and I was hoping I could get some suggestions based on what I like so far. The oils I've been given tend toward the dark and/or incensey. Love 'em!

I love Samhain, Sin, Scherezade, and Spellbound. Are there more like these? I like incense, musk, patchouli, sometimes mixed with dark sweetness like vanilla. I don't like fruity florals or light scents, I just can't pull them off.

Thank you for any help!

Hooray for dark incense-y scents! In keeping with your S theme, I recommend Sri Lanka ("Indian sandalwood and cedar, and the dry incense smoke of olibanum, gum mastic, patchouli and myrrh") and Scales of Deprivation ("lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum"). :D You might also like Anne Bonny ("Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense"), Oblivion ("Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron"), and Dance of Death ("Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh").

ETA: Oh, I forgot Snake Oil!!! "Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla." It's a must-try -- some people love it and some hate it, but give it a go. :)

Edited by Wwindy

I know Hollywood Babylon is fruity, but it isn't floral, and it is incensy and has Patchouli and is in general just amazingsauce. :)

Oh! And URD. Beautiful purple incense!

Edited by Herb Girl

I'd definitely recommend checking out these:

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Bloodlust (Diabolus) - "Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon."

*Cathedral (Sin & Salvation) - "Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins." Lovely resins and woods mix.

*Depraved (Ars Amatoria) - "Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot." My favorite for showcasing the black patchouli note, which is very dark and earthy.

*Ekhidna (Diabolus) - "All the corruptions of the earth: mandrake, dark myrrh, seaweed, swampy moss, black pepper, pimento, opoponax, tobacco absolute, and tarry clove."

*Fenris Wolf (Diabolus) - "Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood."

*Greed (Sin & Salvation) - "Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss."

*El Dorado (Wanderlust) - "Copal resin incense blowing through halls of dazzling gold." I find this to be an absolutely amazing, dark mix of incense, earth, and spiciness.

*Snake Oil (Ars Amatoria) - "A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla."

*Umbra (Bewitching Brews) - "East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon."

*Voodoo (Bewitching Brews) - "A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove."

And if you're interested in picking up some non-impable bottles or tracking down decants from the forum:

*Hygeia (Limited Edition) - "Red musk and red amber, sweet incense, Mysore sandalwood, tobacco absolute, golden musk, orris root, frankincense, and helichrysum."

*The Ifrit (Neil Gaiman - American Gods) - "Desert sand, red musk, blackened ginger, dragon's blood resin, black pepper, cinnamon, and tobacco."

*Samhainophobia (Limited Edition) - "Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves."

*The Smiling Spider (The Salon) - "Bitter clove, black musk, mahogany wood, and patchouli."

*Tombeur (VILF) - "Deadly and seductive: vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil." I didn't like this when I first got it, but let it sit for a month or two and it settles into a complex, dark, sexy scent with just the right amount of sweetness.

Too bad the Carnaval Diabolique is on hiatus - Temple Viper is pure nag champa incense and Mme Moriarty is plummy incense. I would go with the ones already mentioned such as:

Snake Oil

Cathedral

Oblivion

The Antikythera Mechanism

Spellbound

and add:

Old Demons of the First Class - Siberian musk, black clove, opoponax, tonka, black pepper, and neroli

I would say that both Snake Oil and Cathedral smell a little sharp/intense at first, but after some aging they are both beautiful. If you don't like them at first, don't write them off forever. ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm ordering imps of those that are imp-able, and I'll see what I can find as far as decants. I'm wild to try them all, particularly Snake Oil - sounds perfect!

So many favorites of mine here...but I have to add Blood Kiss, the Caterpillar, Tzadikim Nistarim, Shub, and Phantom.

Edited by lookingglass

Here are a few more you may like, in case they weren't mentioned yet:

Vixen

Lust

Blood Amber

Event Horizon

Debauchery

Dragon's Claw

Kathmandu

Haunted

Have fun sampling!

Everyone has already listed so many perfect choices! These are all my favorite scents, and reading everyone's suggestions is like going through my BPAL box inventory! :lol:

Another one that is not GC, but you might be able to find a decant, is a Retail-Only: Heavenly Love & Earthly Love.

Ambergris accord, benzoin, teakwood, frankincense, myrrh, Mysore sandalwood, and incense.

Not a GC, per se, but what about Philosopher in Meditation, from the Salon? "Smoldering woodfire embers, Galen's Kyphi, and Abramelin incense"