Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Silvertree

Black Pepper, Amber, and Clove

This is beautiful and difficult to describe, but I will do my best.

The clove and amber are just about equally balanced. The amber reminds me of the amber from Canis Major. It has a soft, twinkling quality that really smooths out the clove and almost makes it creamy. Instead of a sharp, spicy clove scent, it becomes a warmly spiced amber. The black pepper makes it interesting. It gives it an edge...like taking a Sharpie and drawing an indistinct black line around a cloud. This smelled better and better the longer I wore it. It didn't have a ton of throw on me, but it lasted a long time. It's a good come closer to me/first time hook up scent.

I believe this would be suitable for any gender. It screams "I am warm and a little mysterious, but also carry around a utility knife because you never know when you're going to need it." It reminds me of a late summer sunset.

I was hoping that this would be a very literal blend, like huffing chunks of amber resin and the black pepper and clove shakers in the spice cabinet, but it's much more of a perfumey scent.  The amber is a bright, golden, clean, musky, powdery variety that reads more as department store perfume than chunks of resin.  The black pepper and clove are there, and add a heat to the scent, but they aren't as distinct as I would like.  You get an impression of spice and heat more than "oh, that's black pepper and clove."  A couple hours in, this actually smells like an Egyptian Musk single note on me more than any of the three listed notes.  It has clean linen, skin musk and golden sand vibes.

This one is pretty strange on me. Clove always takes over on my skin, so it start with the Clove Show but is immediately brought into line by *something fruity*. Are peppercorns fruits? That must be what is doing it. I don't smell pepper or amber, just high energy clove trying to do its thing while the other elements sweeten and...... something. It would make a really good incense. 

I will retest this on a different bodypart and return with new insights!

Ask me why Constellation (Egyptian Amber with Sugar spiked Clove) was a big nothingburger on me and this one is making me swoon - I don't know the answer! I think this might be more of what I was expecting from Constellation, because it certainly doesn't smell peppery. I love what Bluestblood said about the pepper adding definition to the scent, that makes a lot of sense somehow. On me the amber is the dominant note, and I agree with Little Bird that it has more of a perfume quality to it than a resin quality, but it doesn't read as overly perfumey to me either. I have to get in pretty close to single out the clove, like it's all snuggled under the warm amber blanket.

I did not think I was an amber person but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a bottle of this.