Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White birch, crystalline amber, dried fir needle, terebinth sap, white moss, wild herbs, and cascading clouds of orris root and white sandalwood suffused with late autumn breezes.

First one... eee. So, as someone born in November, I added this to my cart with no real thought of the notes. It'd go in with my other "i won't wear this, but I'm keeping it" BPAL's. But when I went back to look at the notes, my brain thought "It'll smell like a decorated pine tree. Like being back in the PNW maybe." So I was a little more into it.

In the bottle though, it was just dead leaves bell pepper. So I sat it to the side to try some of the other ones I had just gotten. 

So after a week or so of rest, I tried it & it's so perfect on my skin. It IS like being in the pine forests in the PNW. Like finding a little area of wildflowers & underbrush & walking through on a cold day. The moss is actually a note I can find & it melds with the birch & amber so well. The orris in this sort of hazes in & out, like the idea of walking past fragrant plants & getting a whiff for a bit & then nothing until you run into another patch. With the other scent,s my brain just wants it to be snowdrops. So this could easily be the last few cold days of winter, as much as the start of it.

It's been on for a few hours now & it's calmed down into one of those sticks that come out at Christmas? You can get a pine, a spruce, a Christmas tree, or a cinnamon pinecone as scents (Scentsicles... I think they're called). But it's more on the very classy side of those sticks, the way I think they want to be but never quite achieve.

This would have fit in the Yule collection exceptionally well, & honestly, I'd wear this at any time to invoke a bit of chilly fall days. I'd say it's a very unisex blend, on me it's just the wilds of a forest in the late fall. So I am definitely in love & may need to grab another bottle before it's gone.

I'm gonna have to let this one rest. The bell pepper dead leaves thing is a bit too much for me and lingers for the better part of a couple hours. It's doing something way later, like it is turning into a high end perfume version of the dead leaves, closer to something you would find in the mall, so there is promise I suppose.

We'll see where this goes. 

November Mood starts off with dead leaves (probably from the autumn breezes) and some birch, accompanied by a floral note, but it very quickly becomes very high-pitched on me. I think there's some secret wisteria or iris in here (leaning towards iris, though) because orris, while usually not a note that works on me, usually tends to turn to powder instead of going screechy. I think it's something in the 'crystalline' aspect of the amber, otherwise the sharp floral is just not listed as a note. I get some moss and herbs with this beneath the piercing floral note, but I can't sniff it too deeply to pinpoint other notes without risking a headache.

I enjoyed the birch note during the wet phase, but this one is just too sharp for me. It was nice to get a chance to try it, though!

I get the birch and moss notes the most. As the scent wears on, the amber softens those notes into more of a tree musk. Ends up being a softer scent on me. While I'm sure that's also due to the orris root and sandalwood, I can't pick them out individually. Overall, more of a soft forest musk scent.

Tested blind from a sniffie: the dead leaves note. Maybe a bit lighter and "prettier" (or soapier, or perfumey-er) in the drydown.