Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ok. Here goes: 

In the vial it was a tad scary, but I applied it anyway. It was lighter on my skin than expected, almost like the listed scents were sitting on a bed of high pitched frankincense. No sign of vetiver or ashes. Petitgrain and moss balanced each other so the champaca could radiate. Keep in mind that I'm guessing - this scent is so well blended that I can't really identify individual components. 

As it dried, it became softer and the unlisted frankincense gave it a light ginger ale background. Something lightly soapy in there too, but not enough to be offensive. 

Now that it's dry I get the ashes in combination with the rest. Vertiver is still a mystery here. This scent is a morpher, but it's always clean. If scent had a color it would be light greenish yellow.

I knew this one was a risk going in, but I enjoy vetiver, was curious about the petitgrain, and really like the bottle art. The bottle sniff caused me to put testing off for a while; there was something sharp and borderline soapy. Upon application, it's much less loud, but definitely still very clean. Reminds me of nothing so much as a very fancy citrus-scented soap, probably as a confluence of the petitgrain and the champaca. The vetiver and oakmoss might be present as backing notes, while the ashes aren't really perceptible. Overall, this won't kill my interest in any one of these notes, but while nice it's sadly too clean for my taste.

Edited by Ennikar

On me this is almost all champaca, a note I love but I was actually hoping some of the other notes would come out more (another note that I get along pretty well with).  I think the ashes come through a little.  I don't smell vetiver at all which is kind of amazing.  Either there is very little of it, or this is the smoothest vetiver ever and it's just blending with the other notes.  There is a hint of something tart, maybe the petitgrain.

Can't say I'm disappointed, I'm not, since I do love the lab's champaca note.  I think maybe I should compare this directly with Champa Resin, Charcoal and Tobacco Absolute, because in my mind they're very similar, but I bet side-by-side the differences would stand out more.