Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Ginger Cake With Quince And Orange Zest

I get a lot of orange at first, but it's more of an orange glaze note than orange zest, bringing to mind Yule Cookies from many Yules past. However, the quince becomes more prominent over time, a not-quite-apple-but-apple-and-pear-ish sort of fruit, over a very light ginger cake. (I'm really surprised by how tame the ginger is in this.) The crumb of the cake is not very distinct to me, but it has a sort of cake softness, if that makes sense, and it still smells delicious. I'd be very happy to eat a cake like this!

I'm hanging on to my imp. :) 

I was not expecting to be in love with this, because orange and citrus are not typically in my wheelhouse. But I was so, so wrong. 

The trio of pies from this last year, 2022, are just amazing and the work so well together. I've been layering the three pretty consistently with wonderful results.

In the bottle, ginger but not sharp. I could smell the citrus, but it was tame, I guess maybe that's the quince?

Wet, kind of confused but 'hey, happy to be here,' bakery smell. 

Dry, just a small bite from the citrus and ginger but it's warm and comforting. 

Incredibly buttery and rich ginger cake, to the point that it's almost a bit nauseating, speaking as someone who can't stomach very fatty foods. It's saved by the dry sting of orange zest. The quince takes a while to bloom, but once it does, it tones down the suffocating richness of the cake too.

Very nice. Was wondering how strong the ginger would be, but it’s just right, not too sharp. It’s tempered by a lovely buttery cakey sweetness and a bright hint of orange. I’m not sure what quince smells like so I can’t speak to that note. Looking at the other reviews, everyone seems relieved at how calm the ginger is and I agree. Definitely a keeper.

In the imp, it is all cake to me - lots of butter and baking notes, not much else. There is a super brief period when it's wet on the skin where the ginger is strong, but that immediately dies down. Dry on the skin, it is mostly quince and butter with just a little ginger and orange. Not much throw all on this one once dry, so this might be good to wear on days that you want perfume but don't want it to be very notable to others.

This is mostly rich ginger cake on me. It's very dense and there are more spices than just ginger in here. I think I get clove and cinnamon, maybe there's also a dash of saffron in there. The spices and bready cake note take over, but I can imagine the orange zest and quince minced up and mixed into the cake. Honestly, if I didn't know this was ginger cake, I would have assumed it was pumpkin bread. It's very yummy!