Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Yeet 2022’s sorrows into the void: blackened lavender, red labdanum, opoponax,

Oman frankincense, champaca orchid, sweet aged patchouli, and tobacco absolute.

First applied, a blast of herbal lavender. There's a smooth pillowy wisp going on behind it. There's a hint of frankincense and soon the champaca joins, while the lavendar is still present.

Into drydown, the lavender is way in the background with the champaca being its floofy self, grounded by this lovely meld of frankincense, labdanum, and tobacco. 

The patchouli sneaks in later in drydown, keeping the floral elements from running amok.

This is slightly resinous, a bit syrupy and chewy and wispy at the same time with a spotlight on a lovely champaca/patch in the drydown. If you like champaca, this is a must try.

Edited by saralaughs

I grabbed a bottle on the logic that I like pretty much everything listed, and it turned out that was a pretty good bet. 

In the bottle, I get a strong ATTACK LAVENDER smell, which is also how it goes on. However, at least on my skin, the lavender calms down pretty quickly and florals (the orchid?) and a spicy, resiny  smell both blend in pretty evenly. 

As it dries down, it takes on an almost amber-ish quality (that’ll be the labdanum), and it’s both relaxing and invigorating at once thanks to the resin/floral combo. I’m often wary of florals, but orchids are usually good on me [ETA: although champaca is actually a magnolia and not an orchid], and here the floral notes are dark and restrained and sensuous rather than overpowering, or too bright, or high femme in a way I’m not. 

It probably helps that I’m absolutely obsessed with resins and classical incense scents, and also that they tend to do well on my skin. This feels like a dressed-up, modern, darkly feminine incense to me and it’s ~perfect~.

Edited by Rivkele

I tested this twice, once during the evening one day, and once as a sleep scent. I had the same result both times.

Oblivion Railroad is mostly about the lavender, labdanum, and champaca on me, with some tobacco trailing behind those notes. The red labdanum does have a sweet cola-like vibe, but it is not as loud as it is in something like The Death Grapple, where it's much stronger and darker and makes the scent almost like a resin-y lavender cola. The champaca note, although it's champaca orchid, does have an incense-y vibe mixed in with the floral, but it's more along the lines of the champaca in Orgy With Nine Women (which features champaca magnolia) than a straight-up nag champa incense to my nose. This scent shares several notes in common with the GC Gaueko ("Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum"). However, I find that one to be much  darker and more incense-y than this one, and the tobacco in that blend is smoky, while the one in this scent is not. Oblivion Railroad ends up being much smoother.

I don't need more of this one, although I'd recommend it to someone looking for a much smoother Gaueko.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This smells like an ultra chic lavender + incense/resins scent to me.  I agree with the other reviews so far.  I kept thinking maybe it's similar to Incolumitas but I can't find my imp of that to compare them.  But suffice to say this is just right for me as far as strength of the scent, and it might be the best yet for lavender + incense.  Also I agree with the compare/contrast with Gaueko, I like that scent but I think this is even better.  : )

Oh my this blackened lavender is exquisite. That and the red labdanum are strongest out of the gate. Lavender recedes as it often does, but the gorgeous floral champaca takes over for the lavender, slowly unfolding and developing through the drydown. Labdanum settles down too and folds in with the other resiny bits. I'm also really enjoying the tobacco backbone of it.

Overall it's murky and moody, but in an elegant way.  

A very sour, dry, herbal lavender that smells like it's been set on fire.  I was hoping for a sweeter resinous scent, but I don't smell the syrupy opoponax or frankincense.  In the drydown, it smells harshly soapy.  Industrial soap, sour lavender, and acrid smoke that reminds me of burning metal after a while.  Gaueko is much sweeter and smoother to me.

i was nervous about this one with blackened lavender as the first note in the description. indeed, other reviews are spot on that this is predominantly lavender in the bottle and freshly applied when wet.

once applied, there is a few minutes of morphing phase on me where the lavender tried to stay dominant while the other notes begin to peek out. after 10 minutes the lavender is much less present. the other notes blend together seamlessly, so this becomes a resinous floral closer to the skin with a cloud of herbal lavender lingering in the throw.

i don’t get strong champaca- or patchouli-head shop vibes from this while wet. it’s more of a rich resinous floral. initially the frankincense seems to be coming out the strongest of the notes, giving the other notes a golden base to stick to and complimenting the lavender. 

around the 2 hour mark the lavender and frankincense have burned away. there is still a rich dark floral. the champaca is coming out more but still not in a head shop type of way, just sweetening the scent now that the herbaceous lavender has mostly faded. 

i wore this both on my wrists to test and on my torso to scent myself, and my clothes where they touched the scent still have a more strong throw of lavender also at the two hour mark.

Lavender, champaca, labdanum and patchouli with a hint of opoponax. Very nice. Similar to The School of Silence. Different enough to have both.