Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I am having a hard time picking out any of the actual notes except the hazelnut, but boy, this is delicious. Warm, friendly, fuzzy but not TOO fuzzy, with a little cool and bright zing from the mandarin cutting through it all. After several minutes, the "peppery" part of the musk shows up and the hazelnut and mandarin recede a bit, but it's still so so good. It's fairly strong on my wrist, but not a huge amount of throw.

This just smells good. Like, wholesome, warm, and good.

I forgot mandarin was a note until I came here to write this, and its presence for me was a tartness or a tang (not sour) that I couldn't identify, cutting through all the fuzziness to bring balance, like a necessary dose of acidity in a rich meal.

The hazelnut is the star, and I'm really loving the recent pepper or "peppery" scents I've picked up. The pleasant little nose tingle from the peppery musk also adds to the balance the mandarin brings.

If these notes are your jam, definitely add this one to the collection. 

ETA: This one separates in the bottle (at least my bottle does), so shake before applying!

Edited by elissamay

Well, I don't like this, but it's more my own fault than anything.  I knew going into this that I always avoid "brown", furry, or fuzzy scents.  Like usually if I see brown musk I just skip it altogether.  But - I love bats and couldn't resist this based solely on the art.  I like amber, saffron cream sounds great, and I thought I might get lucky here.  

I mostly smell the peppery brown musk, and a little tonka (another note that can be tricky on me).  I'm not getting the other notes much at all.  I'm going to put this away for a while and try again in a few months. 

I do appreciate it for what it is, and I'm sure it's great on other people!  

Starts off with a blast of mmm, cardamom? crumbled graham crackers? Settles to a sweet, creamy, coffee-infused, leather. I don't get much mandarin/citrus on me - I might layer with a hint of Peach Brandy Snake Oil. 

Amber encasing warm spices. I get saffron and tonka the most, with amber noticeably there, rounding things out. I don't get hazelnut and I only smelled the mandarin at the very beginning, while it was drying on me. Overall it's a warm scent. I get the imagery of 'brown,' almost in a suede way. The amber brings out the the earthiness of the spices, so this is definitely not a foody scent.

I went into this remembering mandarin, peppery brown musk, amber, and tonka, so when I put it on, I was like, goddamn, why is this so sweet!? :lol: It's really strong on the hazelnut and saffron cream on me throughout wear. It's a very rich, syrup-y sort of hazelnut, not a warm nuttiness that smells more like the actual nut like in Who's Afraid?, and the saffron cream really just amps up its sweetness and richness. It's swirled with some mandarin, a bit of peppery brown musk, and amber, but it never stops being a predominantly hazelnut and saffron cream party on me.

I like the mandarin in this, and I wish it had gotten more of a chance to shine on my skin! Alas, the hazelnut and saffron cream combo is just too rich for me.

Bat Jockeys is very warm, powdery, and musky on my skin.  There's the woody, maple-y, nutty hazelnut, powdery and warm amber, and lots of the brown musk that conjures up images of fuzzy sweaters and fur.  My partner mentioned that it smelled like maple syrup and baby powder.

This starts out as a warm, brown scent between the musk and tonka (a la Judgmental Longhorn), but there's something weirdly sharp and overpowering about this blend on my skin. It might be the amber and mandarin along with the other notes, but this was more sharp, intense musk on me than warm and cozy.

This starts out wonderfully foodie, softly spiced cream and hazelnuts. The brown musk and mandarin come out on my skin, and overall a touch earthier. Very snuggly.