Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

As you probably expect, the leather is the star here. It's smoky and polished brown leather, maybe the same leather that's in Sherlock Holmes. The leather works so well with the rich, bitter Belgian chocolate. Every now and then I get whiffs of the fir needle, but it's not super prominent. The amber casts a warm glow on the perfume, like the flickering light from a fireplace. I don't get a ton of the vanilla here.

I liked Rogridiss last year, but this is less sweet overall. It's different enough that I'm happy to have both. I looove the chocolate/leather combo here. The art and concept is also quite funny.

Toddler Holster is very much about the brown leather, which is not the smooth, well-worn, and somewhat sweet brown leather found in some other scents from the Lab. It is really strong and dominates the scent for a while, pretty much only letting the fir needle cozy up to it for the first few hours, and refusing to let the other notes shine through. Eventually, the amber and vanilla do emerge, however, and it ends up being a much softer leather scent warmed up by the amber, a bit of vanilla, and a much lighter fir note (although the fir is still a main player). Curiously enough, I never get any of the chocolate, but perhaps that will emerge more with age.

I'm going to let this one settle for a month and come back to it. I think it dries down into something lovely and will be a keeper, although I'm hoping the leather will smooth over a little bit and that the chocolate will come through.

I love this when it's first applied and it's like a mug of really good, thick, rich hot cocoa and a cuddly, warm, smooth, brown leather.  Within a few minutes, however, the scent goes very chemical-y and sharp on my skin, and I think it's the fir that's giving me the pool-chemicals-but-harsher scent.   Sour, sharp, chemical-y evergreen with a hint of cocoa powder.  Lasts about 3 hours on me.

A bit nervous sniffing this is in the imp, as the fresher, polished leather notes can take over on my skin and go screechy. In the imp I get mostly fresh leather and fir. On my skin the leather keeps in the background, and the fir and chocolate come front and center. It's foresty and a bit sweet and homey at the same time. 

I first made a somewhat... offensive noise at first application; sweet dark cacao and tan leather with a soft pine, hmmm. Though this directly reminds me of a really old bottle of Captain Cully that i once had, it dries down slightly different - though something similar for sure is in there, i just can't pinpoint it. It's both a mix of herbal- and motor oil though, if that makes ANY sense. 

On drydown there's still that in the background, and then the strongest note is a powdery dark cocoa, a soft thick brown leather. It's nice, but there's something that's bringing me back to the dentist we went to as very little kids lmao??? It's nice, quite sexy, though the weird dentist thing is sorta putting me off.. 

Sniffing this in the bottle, I get a sharp, herbaly (spelling?) leather. Not bad, but as mentioned, this is not a smooth, worn leather. Sharp black leather to me. On my skin, I instantly get the pine and chocolate. After it dries, the leather comes out again. The chocolate disappears and I get soft pine and leather. After a minute, the vanilla and chocolate show up, but VERY mild. Gotta sniff hard to get them... mild and way in the background. This, to me, is a little masculine. Not too much, but the leather makes it so. Was hoping it would be a little more on the sweet, warm leather/pine scent. It stays close to the skin but kind of sharp overall. :) 

Edited by Numanoid

On me Toddler Holster was mostly sweetish leather. It's more of a raw-edged freshly-tanned leather than the dark, worn, leather I am in love with from Assassin. Not bad at all but not what I was hoping for.

this opens with some chocolate and a plasticy, watery leather note, the likes of which keep me perpetually wary of leather blends. not a very pleasant combo and not a great start.  but it really improves after a half-hour or so on the skin.  it becomes a soft, comfortable, suede-leathery amber, tinged by a hint of dry chocolate and just the barest whiff of fir to give it lift. it actually gets pretty nice and i'm shocked by how much i like this! 

Edited by MamaMoth

I was certain I had reviewed this! I enjoyed it when I first received it, but now a year on it's really come together. The soft brown leather is at the center of the scent, retaining just a hint of the tangy tanning which sits nicely with the accent of fir. The chocolate and vanilla team up with the amber to form a gentle cloud of sweetness. A lovely yule-ified (family friendly!) unisex leather scent.