Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

This is the Day When Old Friends Meet

The figgiest of figgy puddings, a bundle of patchouli root, a dribble of vetiver,

gooseflesh-white vanilla, and sweet myrrh smoke.

I admit I have never had figgy pudding, so I was not sure what to expect. I do love figs, patchouli, vanilla, vetiver and myrrh, so I took a chance on a decant. Sadly, this smells like potpourri with extra cinnamon and I smell nothing else.

Edited by Madame Mew

I had better luck with this.  It goes on light and sweet with the figgy pudding, and within a couple of minutes the vetiver starts coming out.  The vetiver and patchouli, on me, make this scent a little bit cologney, but it's not a bad thing at all.  I can't really pick out vanilla or myrrh, I think they are just blending with the figgy pudding and contributing some sweetness. 

I think this is kind of a comforting scent, sweet with a bit of earthy rumble.  I like it and I really like the level of throw, which is light but not too light (just right, for me).  This will be great when the holidays come around again but I think it can be worn just about any time of year.

Definately Figgy puddin' in there, beautifully blended with the rest of the notes. All there. The vetiver (usually death note for me) is here juuuuust enough and adds a lovely velvety depth, with the other notes softening, even slightly powdering up into a sweet nostalgic christmassy mix. 

Edited by Cali

I wore This Is the Day on my way to meet an old friend this morning.  It is absolutely lovely.  Without looking at the notes, I thought there must be labdanum in here, as there's something of its slightly spicy sweetness, but that's probably the actual (but not overwhelming) spices from the figgy pudding.  Lots of fig and vanilla, non-gnarly patchouli, and no appreciable smoke or vetiver on me.  I only got about four hours wear length from it, but it's worth reapplying. 

Had high hopes for this one, as I'd heard such good things about it. Gave me an instant headache both of the times that I tried it. I like patchouli, vetiver, and vanilla. And I've liked other scents with myrrh, so maybe it's some combination of those that I can't take.

This almost smells like my old squat bottle of Snake Oil to me, or a sister to it. let's say "old friend" :rofl: Sweet, sugary, resinous but richer with a stir of fuzzy myrrh darkness. I adore sugary deep fragrances and this does not disappoint. I am loving the throw also, sometimes I really want other people to catch a wiff of me without being in a hug. Honestly, I don't get much fig/, or perhaps its so well blended with the other notes that it becomes something else, something better. If anything, the fig is the deep purplebrown variety that is super ripe, almost turned to sugar. To sum it all up, this Friend to me is a syrupy, sticky earthy patchouliroot beer topped with sugary vanilla. I think this might be my favorite '22 Yule. 

i mostly get spicy-spicy figgy pudding from this. deeply sweet, rich, and spicy. much christmas-y.  i keep retesting it, hoping the other notes will have developed more, but so far no luck. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Hmm, yep: there's a bit of spice in the figgy puds. or perhaps the smoke is reading as spicy? Plus the vanilla reads more like a vanilla musk than a gourmand vanilla. A strange combination of the edible and inedible, like the curious anthropomorphized characters on the label. In the end it's mostly smoky spiced figs.

I wore this without checking the notes and wrote down that it smells like cider spice scented potpourri (dry, woody, sharply spicy) and cigarette smoke with a bit of ash.  I'm not really getting any fig or vanilla and the bit of earthiness leans dry, smoky and woody.