Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Teapot Full of Angst

Black tea with almond! For a second there's a note that almost smells like bread, then quickly evaporates. This is mostly calming black tea with a touch of lemon peel. I always underrate tea scents and forget how good they are. This is a keeper.

I am head over heels for this scent. I'm a fan of vetiver, patchouli, and oud to start with, so do with that info what you will. My TL;DR on this is that it's basically Tea, But As A Perfume. 

Sniffing the bottle, there's a punch of sweet almond with strong black tea and lemon.

On application, all the big scent notes pop out in unison: patchouli, tobacco, oud. They're tricky to pick out from each other, but somehow they all underscore the tea so that it isn't lost in the mix. I don't get anything indolic from this oud, but I can tell it's in there for sure. Similarly the patchouli doesn't belt out its patchouliness, but you know it's present. It's an incredibly rich, dark, chewy tea scent.

When dry, almond is no longer clearly discernable on my skin but its sweetness remains to balance the bitter lemon. Vetiver is more apparent on my exposed skin, but when I wear this scent under my shirt it stays huddled in with the other notes. Overall it still smells like Tea Perfume and it's so gorgeous. I can't get over how these bolder scent notes bolster the tea so well, it's alchemy for sure!

Note to fellow slatherers: I always put too much of this on because I love how it smells, and you really don't need much of it because it lasts and lasts. 

Skin chemistry mismatch :cry:.

Teapot Full of Angst is a Big Indolic Oud Mood. My skin took Teapot on a trip to the country village of Barnsmell, & only came back to let me enjoy the other notes after a couple of hours.  Not for me, alas.

Same experience as Teamama. I was hoping since Oud was last in the list, it wouldn't show up in a loud way. Unfortunately, it's directly competing with this lovely tea, along with the vetiver, patch, and tobacco screaming around the edges. I don't get almond at all. I would love to chalk it up to my covid nose. I'll let this hang out for a bit, and see if I can stand it next year.

In the imp I get a beautiful black tea and almond combo, brightened with lemon. Wet it's mostly almond, heading off into pastry territory. As it dries the almond calms down, and I get bits of patch and tobacco peaking through as well. The other notes really support the tea. 

What an incredibly weird and wonderful fragrance! This is a thick, rich, gooey tea-flavored fudge spiked with citrus and which reveals some evocative earthy elements that emerge as it dries. It’s as if a pot of strong tea was boiled down with a teacup full of brown sugar, a goodly glug of molasses, and slivers of bright yellow lemon peel, and then the mixture was stirred together with an entire box of sweet, nutty, whole wheat graham crackers crumbs and left on a counter to cool and set overnight. Fast forward about twenty years, and rather than the treat itself, this fragrance smells of its dusty, stained magazine clipping recipe card and which was secretly buried in the back garden by your eccentric relative because they didn’t want anyone to have their recipe after they died. This is why we dig it up and make the hell out of it and shout the recipe from the rooftops– because we don’t believe in gatekeeping the good stuff.

Vetiver sweet tea! Must love vetiver, and it probably helps a lot if you're good with almond and oud, two other polarizing notes. The lemon peel adds a bitter brightness to a lot of heavier, more grounded notes.

I love this one because it's unapologetically chock full of vibes that you either love or hate, kinda like me.

opens with strong unsweetened black tea.  like, peel the enamel off your teacups and stain your teeth strong.  i find black tea notes to sometimes hint of an anise-type component, and that's especially true here.  there's a bit of lemon to the tea, and i love what the lemon peel is doing, bringing that pithy bitter-ish brightness that is absolutely essential here. that's some stout vetiver too, smoky and earthy. beware to the vetiver-averse!   actually, beware if any of these notes give you pause. the oudh is oudhy.  the patchouli is dank af. i agree with @elissamay, this is 100% unapologetically what it is.  she's angsty! angsty-er than a 16-year old mamamoth scribbling bad poetry on stolen swigs of southern comfort in a black-draped bedroom.  

i only wish i could reach into this and pluck out the almond. it's the one note in this i'm not really enjoying, and it's not shy, especially at first.  eventually it does settle into a middling region of the note hierarchy, and i think i can hang with it. and maybe aging this will do some magic, who knows. and who cares, because i'm buying a bottle of this anyway. it's unique and bold and pretty damn badass. 

I was prepared to dislike this one based on the strong, sweet almond note in the decant, but the full complexity of the scent comes out on my skin. The black tea and lemon peel are light and astringent, but they're grounded by distinctly chewy patch and tobacco notes that complement each other well. The oud is hard to detect and doesn't go noticeably indolic on me, but there is a smooth woodiness going on alongside the patch and tobacco. This is an unusual but really appealing scent -- the interplay of the lighter black tea and lemon with the darker, deeper, sweeter notes makes this feel like a distant cousin of Dorian to me. Haven't ruled out a bottle purchase.