Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Knave of Snowflakes - Yule 2022

"Blackcurrant tarts and chilled rose jam"

Review

In the Bottle:

Snowy! not much else...

On my Skin, Wet:

A BURST of what initially smells like BPAL's Snow White perfume, some red notes as well

On my Skin, Dry:

It's still reminding me of BPAL's Snow White - but I can begin to smell some roses and something sweet - like honey, but not honey. Must be the 'Jam' note.

This is a beautiful, sophisticated snowy sweet rose. The snow is most prominent, followed by the rose, and just the occasional whiff of the sweet 'jam' note.

Very elegant & wearable!

10/10! Excellent job BPAL Goblins!

ETA - Also, I adore the artwork for this bottle, it's very "Winter, Old World" with it's very dark, nearly black background and pale parchment colored subject of a maiden in an old, Renaissance - esque neckline and starkly striped tresses.

Edited by Akurarei
Added a comment

These are my impressions fresh from the mail, so I'm sure the scent will stabilize or whatever, but I just had to write a review because this is so swoonworthy. It's the lovely Snow White snow I love so much softly drifting over sweet rose jam and a hint of pastry. So far it's not a bold scent or overly gourmand, just beautiful and fairytale-esque. Love at first sniff.

I had Frostbitten Knave of Hearts and destashed that one because the Knave was buried beneath a snowdrift (seriously, it was all about the snow with very little rose or blackcurrant tart). So I'm glad that the Knave got another frozen incarnation and leapt for a bottle because I love the Knave and I love Snow White!

And Knave of Snowflakes doesn't disappoint! I get the rose jam swirled into the lightly chilled, creamy Snow White, which does have a soft (non-bakery, and non-suntan lotion!) coconut component here that reminds me most of Snow White 2005. The rose is not a bully here and is rather subdued by the Snow White component (whereas with Snow Zombi, the opposite occurs!). I am not really getting the blackcurrant tarts from this, but it's so lovely as it is, that this is not a complaint. Although I am curious to find out if the pastry will emerge after some aging.

I do think you have to enjoy Snow White in order to enjoy this snow-covered Knave. The jammy rose is not as prominent as the pink rose in Pink Snowballs (which also features Snow White's snow), so it's worth a try for those of you who like a little rose in a blend, but don't want a rose party.

A keeper, for sure. :heart: 

ETA: I slathered this on as my scent of the day after reviewing it. With a slather, I could smell the black currant in the beginning, but not the pastry. I also have to add that there's an almost honeyed quality to it that I think is like... the nectar of a honeysuckle-esque (but not honeysuckle, and not heady!) flower from Snow White. And it has some staying power. I didn't wear a sleep scent last night and could still smell this on me when I woke up at noon.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Blackcurrant baked goods during snowfall. On me, it's the usual Lab snow note: cold, atmospheric and I would describe it as 'fluffy.' Paired with blackcurrant pastries. The snow note makes the blackcurrant smell more juicy and fresh. Any rose is blending in the snow note, but I don't get much rose from the regular Knave of Hearts. I enjoy it, but not my favorite, I hoped the rose would come out more in this snow variant.

In the bottle this is a super sweet scent, almost overwhelmingly so.

On me it starts out as watery blackberries with a hint of rose. Still very sweet, but with actual notes as opposed to in the bottle where it's just pure sweetness. As it dries down it gets a little more muted and the backdrop of Snow White becomes more apparent. At this stage it's basically Snow White with watery blackberries. The rose is harder to detect, but lingers in the background. It's a good scent. I had expected it to be more like a pastry, but this really isn't that at all. It brings to mind a tea party in the snow where everything is just a little frozen over.

Short version: it's snow white, the purple berry jam and butter.

Long version: knave of snowflakes lives on that interesting borderland of being ALMOST too foody, but staying just shy of it. The berries and butter of the tarts are strong in the bottle, but are quickly overtaken by Snow White in strength once dry on the skin. Like others, I don't get much rose here (surprising, since rose usually amps on me like no one's business), but I am not made about, since it balances fine without it.

On my skin the Snow White coconut chill overtakes everything. The buttery pastry is trying to crack through the layer of Snow White's chill, but ultimately fails.

On my skin, the black currant, specifically a tart bright black currant, is very much the dominant note of this! It's sweetened by something soft and coconut, along with a buttery sugary scent. Faintly in the very back is a hint of a sweet rose jam note that helps keep the tartness of these black currants under control.

The scent is very close to being too foody for me. I'm very very tempted to chew on my own wrist right now (this is a problem). I may actually try some layering with Knave of Snowflakes to get the foody aspect to back off a bit and give it a little bit more floral punch.

This is so pretty, it’s almost unreal. Sweet, juicy-jammy, ripe blackcurrants cooked to deep purple stickiness, filling an almond pastry, topped with pillowy mounds of coconut vanilla custard, and served with a tiny scoop of wild rose petal ice cream. And somehow, none of this is in the least bit foody– there’s this ghostly bitter-green veil that delivers the whole thing as a luminous, ferny fougère.