Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Carved Wooden Soda Shop

this opens with a deliciously sharp, almost medicinal root beer note, and i love it!  very quickly though, it's gentled and folded into sweet vanilla cream. while it's undeniably yummy, it almost feels like it goes a little flat after that punchy, sassafrasy root beer beginning. 

the cedar is whisper quiet.  i can find it because i know to look for it... without the notes list, i'm not so sure i would.  

i was hoping for something stronger in the cedar and root beer department, and this is more about the vanilla ice cream. i like it, though.  i can see myself reaching for it in the evening when i want something sweet and comfortable. 

This is really addictive to me. I've recently fallen hard for Tombstone, but this one is different enough that I'm glad to have both. The rootbeer is the dominant note at first, and it somehow smells fizzy and candied, with minty and anise-y edges. The vanilla ice cream smells melted to me, very smooth. It's a deep vanilla that makes the overall scent feel "round" or even hollow (if that makes any sense whatsoever). I only detect a hint of cedar, though I think it's offsetting some of the sweetness. This is still a very sweet scent though and heavy on the rootbeer. Compared to Tombstone, it's sweeter, more minty, and less woody. 

I already have several scents in my root beer arsenal, but there was no way I was going to pass up getting this one.

Of course, the immediate question when seeing the list of notes is, "How similar will this be to Tombstone?" The answer? It's not similar at all despite their shared notes! Tombstone is very warm and rugged. It features a warm vanilla, and a bolder, warmer cedar note. But Carved Wooden Soda Shop is a cool root beer. It starts off like root beer barrel candies on me with a hint of cool mint (but not peppermint -- perhaps wintergreen?) and a slight effervescence. There is a bit of a dry aspect to the scent, too, that could be from the cedar (I remember the cedar in the Cedarwood and Smoked Vanilla duet was a dry one), but honestly, if you hadn't told me that there's cedar in this, I wouldn't have guessed it were in here, and I wouldn't have known to go looking for it. Over time, a cool vanilla joins in and swirls with the root beer, and it eventually becomes the dominant aspect of the skin after six hours of wear -- although the vanilla ice cream is nowhere near as strong as the root beer was and stays close to the skin. There's a hint of the root beer in there, but it is definitely more about the float by the end of the day.

As a lover of all things root beer, I'm really glad I grabbed a bottle of this one, and I can't wait to slather it on during the summer months. :cheers: 

This one is fun. I am usually all about the dark, dank, scary, witchy blends and this one is just fun.

Bubbly root beer float at first, all sassafrass-y and vannillic. I get very little wood until drydown, when a dry, resiny cedar appears but stays close to the skin. It's warm, familiar, fun, and something that I would recommend to just about anyone who enjoys a good vanilla blend.

On me, this is a root beer single note. I'm not getting any ice cream float. The cedar is there, but I cannot pick it out on its own. Instead, the cedar adds to the root beer, making it more medicinal and almost bubblegum like. In comparison to other root beer scents, this one is also more fizzy. It's a pleasant scent, but I was hoping for something a little bit more special/unique.

Ever drop root beer on a wooden table? No? Then fear not! This is exactly like root beer on wood. Medium throw and wear length.

Root bear float in a wooden cup lol 😝 

Medium throw and staying power. Tested from a gifted decant. 

Edited by vanilla323

This will be a fairly simplistic first impression… smells like a root beer float with cedar! 

Haha okay to be honest, I did not get any mint notes at first. Reviewers kept saying mint, and I had no clue where that was coming from. Buuuut then my brain did a shift. It’s wintergreen, not peppermint. I don’t know if I’m going to ruin someone’s day, but in the US wintergreen is one of the dominant flavors used to create root beer. In present day, at least. (Seriously, think of this the next time you have it and you won’t be able to “un-taste” it). So after my brain shift, there was no denying the wintergreen note. Wintergreen, root beer, creaminess with a sturdy backdrop of cedar. I am kind of surprised that I enjoy this one. Foodie is not a place I normally gravitate towards for perfume. But the cedar notes bring it out of being too sweet. It’s not my favorite, but I definitely like it more than I thought I would!

Delicious! Creamy vanilla and sweet rootbeer, it's even a touch fizzy to my nose but not sure if my brain is just doing that. The cedar is soft on my skin, most noticeable late into the dry down, but helps keep the sweetness in check. 

This was not really a win for me.  I love sassafras and/or root-beer scents, so I really thought this was a no-brainer for me.  When I first got it, there was a bit of warm herbal sweetness with something funky underneath that smelled like burnt plastic or rubber to me.  Something chemical that clashed with my skin unfortunately, I have no idea where that came from.  

I let it age a few months and the weird burnt chemical note is faintly still there but not nearly as strong now.  I can mostly ignore it now, but somehow this still just isn't working very well for me.  I may let it age a little more but I might have to just take the L with this one. 

As with most oils, this behaves a bit differently depending on whether I wear it on exposed skin or not. On my wrist the punchy cedar and sassafras recede more quickly leaving a creamy vanillic experience, tinted warmly with the aforementioned notes. In the crook of an elbow or under the shirt, the sharper cedar lingers for an extended period. I like the combined effect and the "just right" throw on this (a personal scent cloud) in addition to the holiday sweet treat vibes.