Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Chanukkiyah 2022

Oh, this is pretty!

I'd kept considering and not ever quite trying older versions, so I can't compare. This year (thanks to a gift certificate from the Husband!) I ended up making a big order, and finally went for it!

It goes on as mainly olive oil/blossom and beeswax at first, I think: that tart/fruity note of good olive oil plus a smoother warmer background note. Good initial throw!

As it dries, the amber and suf and fruit emerge - they're all really well blended and nothing outright takes over. The sweet sufganiyot is giving a warm donut (but like the more bready donuts, if that makes sense? not sugary, just fresh warm lightly fried - not oily - dough) backdrop, but that's all. The fruits give it a dark rich note, a little sweet/earthy. But, again, it's really well blended - I wouldn't call it fruity, or foody, exactly. Everything swirls together into a warm golden glowing scent, not overly sweet, but lush and rich, and friendly as a kitchen and a welcome and lit candles, and really comforting somehow. I keep finding myself coming back to sniff my arm, wanting more!

This is so nice. My first impression is a warm olive blossom and beeswax. I haven't tried any of the Sufganiyot perfume oils so I'm not familiar with that note, but I feel like I smell a warm, savory sweet bready note that must be it. And then there's some tartness in there to balance it all out.

It kinda feels like a Lupercalia or Shunga to me. The way the beeswax and amber sit on the skin is kind of sensual. It's got elements of a gourmand and a floral, but it feels sheered out and abstracted in a way that makes it totally wearable for those of us who love gourmand florals, but can't often wear them.

Edit: My partner commented that this smells like a "really expensive candle." And I totally agree! not a holiday or Michael's candle (No shade to those, I love them) but like a very luxe beeswax candle.

Edited by amokslime

Wow, the olive blossom and amber combo really sings out on me at first. Freshly applied, it goes olive oil, beeswax, OLIVE BLOSSOM AND AMBER!!!1! And they're not wrong to be so excited because they are lovely together: very fresh and clean without any citrus, fabric, or soap vibes.

As it dries there is definitely a shift in the scent profile. Olive blossom amber settles down into the beeswax, and the fried sufganiyot begins to waft out around the periphery along with some pomegranate and fig. I usually amp fig, but it takes its time gaining strength here.

The composition is cozy and comforting while retaining a gentle perfume quality. It's lovely and quite impressive, and would be a slam dunk for me without the pom, which creates a grainy/dirty effect more often than not and I don't know why my skin does that! Boo hiss. 

2022 is my first time trying this one. i've been curious about it, but hesitated with this iteration due to the olive blossom, because i don't tend to enjoy many florals. and the olive blossom... is there, but melded so sweetly with the olive oil, beeswax, and amber that i can't even begrudge its presence. the pom doesn't come out for me much, perhaps just a whisper of tartness lifting everything up. fig, which can weigh down a scent for me, is just gently intermingling with a lower-register sweetness.  i'm surprised to find that, while there are many gourmand elements in chanukkiyah's dna, it doesn't ping me as overtly foody on the whole.

this feels soft and solemn, but not reticent in throw as it sings a sweet, warmly glowing song for practically the entire day.  beeswax scents always hit me in the feels. gorgeous, just gorgeous. 

Edited by MamaMoth

In the decant: Olive oil and a syrupy sweetness. Is that the fig?

Wet: Oooo, a bit of fig, the sweet sufganiyot, and amber.

Dry, Stage 1: Low throw, subtly sweet sufganiyot, some amber, but the fig is gone. No pomegranate, no beeswax, invisible olive products. Still, this is nice.

Dry, Stage 2: Channukiya dropkicks "low throw" to the curb after 30 minutes, at which point it becomes a medium throw SUGAR scent that threatens to become cloying. Thankfully after another hour, it stays where it is and the amber comes out a bit more.

Kinda funny that my skin chemistry takes the "sweet" from "sweet sufganiyot" and runs with it. I'm glad the amber showed up, but I'm bummed to lose out on the other notes. Not sure if time will make this better seeing as how no matter how many times my skin chemistry shifts, I continue to amp sugar. We'll see!

First impression, this is so pretty.  Olive oil, amber and beeswax.  Pretty heavy throw on application.  Hour in, much less throw, not super strong on my skin either.  It’s morphed into something less ambery, lots of very unique and pretty olive blossom, the sweet cookie-ish scent is more obvious, and hints of fruit way in the background.  It's still really pretty and I look forward to seeing what it becomes with age.