Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Snake Oil Sufganiyot

So excited to get this... anything S.O. I usually HAVE to have. Got this today so can't wait to test it. In the bottle, sniffing, there is that lovely Snake Oil. I do get a little bit of pastry like the other other sufganiyots. On my skin oh my!!! I get the lovely S.O and that yummy pastry. It is a wonderful S.O. pastry smoky thing, if that makes sense! This is good right off the bat and I think this will age into something super amazing!

predominant, recognizable snake oil, with the familiar sufganiyot pastry note giving it an almost-savory grounding.  but this has been dusted with powdered sugar, so the net effect is a little sweeter than regular snake oil.  that pastry note really keeps it from being too sweet though.  there's a nice sweet/savory balance happening.

i've heard a some speculating as to whether or not this might have a jammy/fruity note to it... so i'm throwing it out there that it doesn't. 

it does put me in mind of please scream inside your snake oil a bit.  that one seemed to turn everything up to 11 though, especially the musk. i love the screamy snek, but sometimes it can be too much. in my opinion, this is more subtle and well-blended. 

this is a really lovely addition to the snake oil pantheon that i have no doubt i will reach for frequently. 

Wet, there's an amazing buttery pastry note. It's mouth-wateringly good. As it dries, the Snake Oil takes over and it is musky. The sufganiyot notes go a bit play-doh at this stage, too.

My skin chemistry is doing some weird stuff to this one. Still, I'm hoping some aging will bring the glorious initial pastry stage of this one out more and mellow out the Snake Oil.

I don't know why Snake Oil blends sometimes don't agree with me, but while I will say the throw on this one is lovely, sweet, dark, doughy, and magically Snake Oily, when I sniff my arm up close, there is a distinct twinge of body odor while the oil is wet. I'm still keeping it, though. 😂

ETA: The BO phenomenon on my skin disappears when it's completely dried down. It's just some truly musky musk!

ETA x2: Since Tom essentially went there in 15 Minutes of 'Fume, I'm going to fully own what I originally meant by "body odor" and say that for me, while it's drying down, this smells like a pleasantly musky and very fancy vagina with doughnuts. I dunno why I was so modest the first time around, but it isn't body odor, it's body musk, and it's of the sex variety. I almost kind of assumed the decision to turn this into a Suf was a very clever euphemism, lol.

And, in closing, it's awesome and I have worn it now several times! The sex musk with doughnuts is mainly up close and mainly for the early wet into drydown phase, so if anybody else doesn't appreciate it, they can avoid me during those moments. ❤️ I, for one, am here for it! Lasts all day into the next for me; ymmv.

Edited by elissamay

How interesting. In the bottle and when freshly applied, I smell a sweet jammy BERRY folded into thick gooey dough. Like almost a realistic strawberry. Isn't that WILD? It's as if red musk was in berry form. Kind of delicious! I want this stage to stick!

However, once it starts drying down on skin, the fruit aspect evaporates, and the doughy side predominates. I wouldn't be able to blindly guess that this was Snake Oil. Sugared dough, yes. Characteristic BPAL quality of sultry musk, yes. But similar to Sugar Cookie Snake Oil from last year, this is lacking the exact magic of Snake Oil where "you know it when you smell it." 

Over time, the dough takes on an oddly floral quality. Mallow flower? I can't say for sure, I haven't smelled that trio. Magnolia? It's a very gentle, sweet, creamy floral. Nothing too overpowering or heady. But I wasn't expecting it to be in something named Snake Oil Sufganiyot, and it just sits oddly in the mix for me.

This is not yet a slam dunk like I thought it would be. I will certainly let it rest and morph, perhaps until next year's Yuletime! I'll be curious to see if I still feel the same way about it then, and will update with any changes.

On me I get grocery store vanilla pudding cups, snake oil, and a touch of donut. No fruit jelly to be found.

Over time, the snake oil becomes more prominent but I can still smell the pudding and the donut.

Interesting! Whew, loud, proud perfumey mess at first, i'm getting alot of powdered sugar flomp also. 
Thou'st slathering Snake Oil all over whilst binging on an enormous funnel cake at the rodeo. 
It's finishing by smelling a bit like a high-school perm sex romp? huh? 
Something about this reminds me of Halloween Las Vegas which is an afterparty mess on me. 
Absolutely no fruit or jam....nothing like SOJD to me. 
Okay, so i'm wishing it was gooier, and darker with more spice, but perhaps that will come in time.
So many of my oldest bpals are thick and rich like syrup. 
Damn, I just rehomed my snake milk, it might be really good layered here. 
Laissez-vous faire. Into the cavern it goest for a few ages. 

Edited by Jenjin

Snake Oil with buttery pastry and a hint of powdered sugar. Exactly what it says on the tin. The Snake Oil is recognizable and well-blended -- it doesn't smell like two smells rolled into one bottle, but like a true SO variant that reframes the vanilla of the original scent in a new (gourmand) light. Lighter on the patchouli -- this isn't a dark-toned blend. It's like a sweeter/fluffier cover of a familiar song.

ETA: Gets increasingly doughnutty as time goes on -- first few hours were pastry-sweetened SO, now 4 hours in we are at lightly-SO-scented pastry. If it's not foody enough for you at start, give it time; if it's too foody for you at start, give this one a miss.

ETA 2: didn't think I'd like this one as much as I do, but I've reached for it nearly every day since I received it. At this rate I'll need multiple backup bottles.

ETA 3: I have... 9 bottles.

Edited by myoubi

This is mostly powdered sugar and dark musk on me, sadly. I dig the powdered sugar, but I was really hoping for some of Snake Oil's vanilla and spices from this, not to mention a pastry note! I get no jam from this, and it is nothing like Snake Oil Jelly Donut to my nose.

I'm going to set this aside for a month and see if I'm able to get more from this after it has had more time to settle. 

ETA: I slathered this on as my scent of the day yesterday, after it had two weeks to settle. While it's still mostly musky powdered sugar, I do get some pastry now and the Snake Oil spices are noticeable once the scent has been dry for a few hours. I have faith that this will age into something wonderful.

Edited by doomsday_disco

It's Snake Oil alright,  only sweeter... sweeter in a chewy, round manner. In other words...there are no edges to this perfume, radiates perfectly blended. 

It seems to get stronger as it wears, treating me to a very grown up doughnut scent. (must be the musk...but I cannot be sure as I really don't like musk and I LOVE this)

Sexy, sophisticated and best for cold days. (When I tested it on a South Fla 80 degree spell,  it didn't express the same "magic". 

It's a BIG scent with great longevity, I think it will only stregnthen as it ages -  going to be dynamite! 

Edited by Fiam

OK, I am a total SO fan...and this may be one of my favorite variations yet.  In the bottle:  A strong, almost boozy blast of caramel/burnt sugar with a blob of vanilla.  On, wet:  The vanilla angle of the SO really takes off, along with sort of a fresh brown sugar cookie-ish kind of thing.  Dries down to a really sexy, sweet-musk kind of thing that straddles the line of being a gourmand but not quite.  Not getting any yeasty/oily notes but there is a slight cream note (but very different from the cream that I get from St. Brigid or other "cream" blends).  Need backups for sure on this one, especially since I blorped some out on my workstation by mistake whilst sniffing the bottle during a boring (off camera) Zoom meeting today....

The Snake Oil musk is absolutely there along with flaky sugar icing and some pastry. I'm a little reminded of Snake Oil and honey blends I've tried before, except this isn't honey. This is straddling the foody-nonfoody line as other reviews noted. No noticeable jelly

Oof. Okay. It's amazing, it does what it says on the tin. The musk is kind of screaming now but it should mellow with age.

The musky, spicy, sweet vanilla of Snake Oil, and then every so often a hint of buttery pastry. Really faint pastry. It’s mostly straight Snake Oil on me. Very good throw, strong scent. I’m not getting any jam or berry as some reviewers noted.

Even after several minutes it’s the same – strong, sweet Snake Oil and just a hint of buttery pastry.

This smells great, like an amped up Snake Oil on me, I never get much pastry out of it but it's a lot of musk and vanilla.  One time when I wore it, I kept smelling a cannabis note but that hasn't happened again.  I get the "sexy" vibe that other people have mentioned.  To me it's a strong vanilla incense scent and I like it but it also kind of wears me instead of me wearing it.  Still, there are definitely occasions where this will be perfect, and I'm sure it will age beautifully. 

Edit: You know, this doesn't JUST smell like stronger Snake Oil.....it's like Snake Oil punched up with a strong dark musk.  It's almost cola or root-beer flavored, in my opinion.

Edited by forspecial_plate

I don’t have too many snake oil variants, but this one is the most snake oil forward (to me). It’s snake oil, plus yeasty/bready & warm/fresh baked goods. The scent straight outta the bottle smells more sugary sweet (almost almondy, but not quite). But I don’t get a crazy amount of sweetness on application. This one is my first sufganiyot, so I can’t compare it to anything else. I’m not a typical foodie/gourmand lover, but this one is soooo good since it’s snake oil dominant.

Thick, musky Snake Oil injected into dense pastry dough and deep fried, babyyyyy. Considering the gourmand leanings of this Snake variant, the vanilla isn't as prominent as I envisioned. Upon application there's a dark, oleaginous vibe my skin/nose isn't playing well with. However, the same thing happened last year with Sugar Cookie Snake Oil, it was too butter/pastry for my taste and then aged really well!! I have faith this Sufganiyot snek will be delightful by next Christmas, but for now it's taking an extended vacation in the dark. 🐍 

continuing down the path of reviewing last year's yules: this is fun and I love it. the snake oil aspect is not as recognizably snakey early in the wear for me, but it still delivers in terms of waking up the next day smelling like snake oil. the up front experience is sugary and donutty and musky in a magical way, and one that works for me in a way that Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil did not. throw is more muted than other SO blends but still enough throw to waft around and make me smile all day. 

An extra musky, powdered sugar Snake Oil. I'm not getting any pastry (or fruit, like some others) and it does wear closer to the skin than most other Snake Oil blends I've tested. I like it, but I prefer Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil since it has a noticeable pastry aspect and much stronger throw.