Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Shortbread Diamonds

Ruthlessly minimalist but dense with pleasure: a crumbly dough made with brown sugar and butter,

rolled out and slashed into simple “diamond” shapes before baking.

In the bottle this is quite faint but I’m getting a light butterscotch that’s a bit tangy and just a tad sweet.  Wet on my skin this is pretty realistic cookie dough right down to that vaguely play doh like scent from a homemade sugar cookie or shortbread dough.  It’s definitely a close to the skin scent and not overly sweet.  Then I swear as it dries I get whiffs of powdered sugar. Dry down is sweeter with no play doh or powdered sugar.  I think the initial wet stage is my favorite part of this but turns just a tad perfumey when dry which doesn’t work for me.  This would be a hit for me if it stayed closer to the wet stage.  

Shortbread Diamonds reminds me of 2021’s box of cookies except dryer. Something about it reminds me of a very expensive fragrance, Xerjoff Lira, but without the citrus. 
A sophisticated cookie! 

Edited by Fiam

This scent is faint and sits close to the skin on me. I get more of a cashmere scent, than a baked goods scent. I would describe this as an elevated baked good scented fabric softener/dryer sheet, in the best way. Not for me, but I'm sure someone who wants a simple, cozy scent will like this one.

To me, this is more dough than baked cookie, and it's more of a vanilla-scented dough than the buttery dough I was expecting from a shortbread cookie scent, but not having this be a butter bomb is nice. Unfortunately, it does smell Play-Doh to me, which I think has only happened one other time (wahh, Sprinklecake), although my partner did think it smelled like baked goods, so maybe it's just my nose.

I'm sad that this scent and I aren't good friends, as I love shortbread cookies! I'll just have to make the recipe that Tom was kind enough to share and bask in the scent of freshly baked cookies in my apartment.

Edited by doomsday_disco

starts as a bit of doughy sweetness, with a light trace of an odd, almost clean-smelling buttery creamy type note.  dries down to just a patch of generic sweetness with very little throw. 

You think this is going to be a simple, straightforward scent. You would be wrong. It begins as rich, buttery, generously salted–nearly briny– shortbread crust, but just as you’re imagining it quivering with, say, an eggy black olive and manchego cheese mixture just before entering a 350° oven to quiche-ify, it surprises you. It becomes a lightly caramelized oaky vanilla-orchid floral, the type of thing that wants to catch more flies with honey than it does with vinegar, the thing that softens and sweetens with age and experience and has learned to pick its battles, and sometimes that still just actually means all of the battles because your life and what you’ve made of it–and of yourself, in all of your sweet and salty and quichey and caramel incarnations, in all the tragedy and beauty of being a human–is delicious and gorgeous and worth fighting for. I don’t know why this fucking perfume is making me cry, but here we are.

In the decant: Ooooo, buttery shortbread!

Wet: Very buttery shortbread! But... something bad is happening...

Dry: Oh, hell. I'm discovering that my skin morphs carmelized/brown sugar notes into the smell of that bottle of cheap pancake syrup you've had in your fridge for years. Goodbye, lovely shortbread smell. Hello, EPA-violation-grade, high-octane trash syrup. = (

On me, this is a nice, buttery, warm, vanilla shortbread - exactly as expected! A little bit of that dark rich caramelized brown sugar note as well. It's a skin-close scent but seems to be lasting a while, though I have to get close to smell it! Nice, uncomplicated, exactly what it says. I bet this will be great for cold weather, and also maybe for layering with some fruit/jam or spice or chocolate notes.

Edited by splendidissima

I get the Play-Doh scent that a few other reviewers have mentioned, along with the brown sugar note, and I unfortunately am not a huge fan of brown sugar scents because they just turn too sweet on my skin.  Fades fast on me to a barely there, kind of powdery, nondescript, sweet, warm scent.  

Initially I get a sweet,  caramelized brown sugar scent from Shortbread Diamonds but after the first few minutes this settles into a rich, gourmand vanilla scent. On me this smells more like a vanilla buttercream that is heavy on the vanilla essence. This a sweet, creamy vanilla on me. I see that this doesn't have a vanilla note listed, but to me this is shortbread with alot of vanilla essence. This is the perfect, cozy scent for a dull rainy day.

Edited by becca_s