Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Santa Doesn’t Need Your Help

A calming, affirming fragrance to help motivate Santa through the daunting tasks

which await him year after year: sugar plum lavender marshmallows.

This is VERY VERY sugar plummy on me, which for me, is a very sweet juicy fruity kind of scent (it really just feels like purple candy - not grape, but purple). I get a hint of lavender underneath (I want moar!) and weirdly I get a little more marshmallow on the throw than close up? It's not as soothing as I'd hoped, mostly because I don't find very sweet fruit very soothing. It's certainly not bad, and it may mellow out a little, but at least so far, it's very strong.

I didn't get any thing out of this but plum just plum hoping  some kind of magic will happen as it ages and I will like it more than I do

Edited by carolsag

I LOVE THIS ONE!

Like other reviewers have noted - this one is LOTS of the sugar plum!

Which, I happen to adore!

At this time, I don't detect either the lavender or the marshmallow, but I suspect aging it for at least a month or two will 'resolve' that issue...

OTOH, I would be totally OK if it stayed "All Sugar Plums, All the Time"

The same gorgeous sugar plum note from Sugar Plum Fairy and Sugar Plum Snow White (which has a candied almost Jolly Rancher vibe). I do detect some sweet lavender and marshmallow poofiness too! 

I'm actually getting more lavender than the other folks here. Candy sweet sugar plum with a strong lavender! They work well together, but barely. It's not poofy and I'm not getting any marshmallow. 

I get equal parts sugar plum + lavender, with a light fluffy marshmallow backdrop.  It's really nice, and seems to fade a lot after a short time (this is after just testing my bottle one time, and I just got it last Friday)..  I will enjoy wearing this but I think I like the plum & marshmallow duo a little better.  I am glad to have both!  

I do think the marshmallow softens the whole thing a bit, and the lavender seems kind of spicy in this combination. 

Sugar Plum and Lavender: They want to not harmonize, but they're harmonizing somehow. This is a more jazzy lavender than the smooth TKO lavender, less medicinal kidney-punch than Aubin Grandpied Bunmanchi. I'm sort of liking this more than I expected, which is weird because I bought it. 🤔 It's that the sugar plum is treating me better than I thought it would. I thought this might be an in spite of but it turns out to be a because of. Neat! 

The voice of dissent? This blend is instantly a knockout dragout fight between herbal lavender and candied plum, and it's happening in my nose. The punching is happening IN my nostrils. It's both, and both are winning, and I am not. There's just such a dissonance between the camphorous lavender and the sweet-and-sour plum. I think the plum by itself is of the sour variety that haunted 2021 (My Immortal) :skull: . That plum, when candied, is already dissonant enough. It just begs to fight with the "but it's GOOD for you!" lavender. Sour + sweet + bitter. It's a lot.

Add to that a discordant muskiness that is not wholly unlike Bordello, which aged in a strange way for me, and Santa Doesn't Need Your Help is not really an instant win for me. I might give it a bit of time but I really don't think these elements are ever NOT going to fight in the house that is my nose. Eep!

very much giving like .. sweet tarts? not necessarily ‘plummy’ to me, at least not at all the same plum in marshmallow and black plum - which was really perfume-y on me. the lavender isn’t super strong on me after dry down, and it’s pretty much just powdery smelling sour-ish candy 🍭 

TootieFruity blast at first. Herbal almost medicinal lavender mixed with candied pink fruit.
I could see a young child enjoying this, but t's way too fruity for me. Fruit lovers NEED this!!! 
Santa wants to be on his own because he's passed out pants down in the lavender field after hard hitting the sugared bonbon plums. 
Damn, I am taking a nibble out of all the bonbons here looking for that marshmallow, but the fruit note is jamjam jamming. 

Putting this one away also to see if time settles some of plum-mash edges and makes Santa-yummy poof magic. 

Edited by Jenjin

I have let my bottle rest in the dark for nearly two weeks, and applied liberally to each wrist this morning. At first I get a blast of sugar plum! Very recognizable as the same note as my Sugar Plum Snake Oil, which I have been wearing a lot this holiday season. This dries down quickly and the lavender shoves it out of the way! It's the TKO kind of lavender, and there is that sweetness to it from the marshmallow. Ok, after 20 minutes this has calmed down drastically and ends up as a sweet lavender plum! I don't know how it works, but damn it works beautifully on my skin. I feel like it will be too sweet for me to wear as a sleep scent, but I'm going to try it out. Sometimes extra sweetness keeps me awake instead of putting me to sleep. However, this would make a great sleep scent for a child! I'm going to try it out on my grandson this afternoon and see what he thinks. He's 7, and has recently been having nightmares caused by playing a Roblox game that scared him. My daughter and I have been talking to him about how to chase away nightmares and I have sprayed some TKO room spray on his pillow. This would be an excellent complementary scent!

The bottle is STRAIGHT lavender so I was a little worried what it would smell like on, but on my skin it’s a sweet sugar plum with a little bit of lavender! A much sweeter sugar plum than the sugar plum in sugar plum SO I have in my opinion, though that may just be me smelling the sugar plum in combination with the marshmallow! 

I agree with the other reviewer that said it smells a little like sweet tarts! Which I'm really enjoying. I don't get a lot of lavender even after several hours and there is a bare hint of marshmallow. Overall a very enjoyable scent.

Santa Doesn't Need Your Help is a KEEPER! 

I did buy it because of the book, the hysterical name and because of the above reviews.  I usually have to find homes for all my lavender "stab in the dark blind buys", but this bottle is going in my high prioirty drawer! Here's what I found...

Lavender and Sugar Plum are a most surprising match! Forget what you know about each of them, because they are a different joy when they meld together.

Scent memories of Plush Viscera came wooshing back, but SDNYH is not the morpher Viscera is...well, was. 

The Marshmallow is just enough to sweeten and support. It's not the main player. 

I may need a back up before they Yules float away. 

Sweet purple candy! It's more sugar plum than lavender on me, but the lavender is also there, and it's also a sweet kind. It's all backed by the marshmallow, which I think is really just reading as...more sweetness, soft and fluffy and sugared.

If you like combinations of sweet purple fruit, sweet lavender, and marshmallow, definitely grab this one!

On me, the marshmallow is prominent and wonderfully floofy. I do get quite a bit of the sweet sugar plum, but it isn't cloying on me. The lavender is also pretty strong, balancing out the sweet notes.

I originally got a decant of this because I wasn't sure if it would be a sugar plum bomb. I'm going to have to retest this and see how I feel about it. The marshmallow is really good.

I ultimately love it - it’s beautiful skin scent, but a terrible locket scent for me! On skin it’s a gorgeous sugar plum candy with the lavender adding a bright/tart edge. Everyone in my office is complimenting how good I smell using words like “sweet tarts” and “delicious candy!” In the locket, though, the lavender is adding a sourness to the sugar plum that sits wrong with me. It really needs my skin to blossom. Which is fine anyway because I really love the lab’s sugar plum on my skin! 

Like lavender candy. Sweet and soothing. I immediately ordered a bottle! There’s the cool lavender, the sparkling fruitiness of the sugar plums, and the vanilla coziness of marshmallow. This will be such a happy, cheerful yet calming addition to my army of lavender sleep blends in the triumph against insomnia!

comes out swinging with the same sugar plum note that i loved in sugar plum snake oil, and a healthy whallop of herbal lavender not far behind. on the skin, the lavender recedes and then it's all sugar plum, all the time.  while i really loved it blended with snake oil, it's not working for me in this one. i think it needs the balance of all that earthy musky spice that snake oil brings to the table, to temper its artificial candy-like nature.  and while there's plenty of sweetness here, i never tracked marshmallow specifically. 

to me this smells like the more-potent version of a little girls first perfume, that she might carry around in her pink plastic purse. 

Super fluffy lavender marshmallows! It reminds me of TKO but super sweet and with a candied fruitiness. The sweetness settles down a smidge as it dries but still a super fun, delicious scent. 

I got this despite the lavender listed because of all the reviews saying it’s pure plum.  Sadly, that is not the case with me.  It went on with a massive blast of lavender, strong enough that it was the only thing I could smell.  It did, over the next hour, calm down, with a lot of sugar plum showing up, but it didn’t kill the lavender, just blended with it.  If there was a version without the lavender, it would probably be in my top 3 favorites.  Sigh.

All sugar plums and the faintest floof of marshmallow. I was really hoping for some lavender. Fruity candy, very sweet, and just not my thing. I feel like I've gone back 25 years and am wearing the Lip Smackers Santa left in my stocking.

Oooh, this is absolutely delicious. It's fluffy sugary plums, with the herbalness of lavender cutting down on what would be toothaching sweetness. I ordered this because I am absolutely in love with my sugar plum hair gloss, and this scent does not disappoint. I'm sincerely considering a second bottle.