Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

October 34th

For those remaining defiantly spooky even though the stores are full of Christmas junk: a jolly endcap of cinnamon pine cones and ribbon candy next to a clearance bin full of pumpkin sugar cookies.

There is a LOT going on in this blend. I had to order it just to see how it would all pan out. Which weird note would win? Cinnamon bark is the ultimate winner, since it's in all three of the holiday doodads represented in this scent picture, but a close second is something thick and heavy like anise from the ribbon candy, twined with mentholic peppermint and woody pine. This reminds me of last year's Marshmallow Gumdrops Peppermint Candies but without the floofy/fruity elements. The ribbon candy is a very serious, grownup kind of candy. That dense spice from the Cinnamon and Clove duet (or the trio with tobacco) is present here with what I swear is some hidden anise (I was unsuccessful in nailing down exactly what flavors are in ribbon candy, but got anything from fruit to cinnamon to clove to peppermint).

I think what is helping to make this denser is the type of pumpkin used here. It's that really thick syrupy dark pumpkin from Pumpkin Latte and Pumpkin Sugar etc. That style doesn't always read as pumpkin to my nose, more like a really chewy and cinnamony pumpkin coffee syrup. I'm not picking up sugar cookie at all. Cookie would be way too frivolous in this blend. I was surprised at just how serious October 34th's scent profile ends up! I was expecting something cheeky and maybe a little bit sparkly-holiday? This is the exact opposite. Heavy, chewy, old-fashioned.

(If you're worried about pine, this does not read as pinesol to me! The pinecone has more bark/wood than the crisp bite of pine needle that can so easily tip into pinesol land.)

I think I will learn to love October 34th, but it is not an immediately charming blend for me. You learn to love it. Like blending Halloween and Christmas. An acquired taste, weird and wonderful.

I would wear this while: admiring my blend of spook and christmas spirit. In January.

I get cinnamon broom-swept sugar cookies inside a spent jack-o-lantern, and as it develops, it's all sitting under a fir tree. It smells absolutely like Halloween and Yuletide had a child and fed it cookies. 

I ordered a bottle to go with my Oct 32 and 33, because *of course!* My bottle has rested in the dark for a full two weeks, so it's time for a full wear test. 

Ok, why do I smell apple? That's the initial take... cinnamon apples, the kind I order as a side at Cracker Barrel. Rather than pumpkin, I get apple from this. Even after drydown, this wears on me like warmed soft cinnamon apples. More cinnamon than in cinnamon applesauce, and sweeter too! 

I'm not mad about it, just surprised. It dries down to a soft cinnamon apple scent. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I will wear this all autumn and winter!

I bought this because I LOVED oct 33rd. And dang is this a great scent. Sweet from the ribbon candy, spices from the cinnamon, with the same fruity sweet pumpkin from pumpkin chai latte. 

Like mentioned above, I have Oct. 33rd, and when I saw this, I HAD to get it. Sniffing in the bottle, I get very faint pine cones with a hint of what seems like cinnamon tea. On my skin, the ribbon candy shows up, with that mild cinnamon scent. This isn't a red hot cinnamon and it isn't a baking cinnamon. But cinnamon tea is the best description I can think of. As it dries, I get a whiff of the pumpkin cookies. I love this!! It isn't a heavy scent, close to the skin and not a lot of throw. It is a wonderful festive scent, Fall or Winter. I am always afraid of any pine scents, and if you are too, not to worry!! 

Smells like a big fall festival. I get a number of things in this scent, but the cinnamon pinecones are the strongest. Fall spices are not far beyond. I do not get the candy note, though I could swear there's apple in here. The pinecone overall makes the scent feel more outdoors and foresty to me. I get the general sense of an open air celebration, one last party to get all the autumn goodness in before the winter.

I get a lot of the pine with the cinnamon of the pinecones at first, backed by creamy pumpkin (which is more fleshy pumpkin than pumpkin spice, to my nose). It gets creamier over time (I think the pumpkin sugar cookie is one of those Lofthouse types with a thick layer of frosting, and I don't smell any actual cookie to it, more the frosting and fleshy pumpkin). The pine part of the pinecones calms down with wear, and it ends up being a light, creamy scent infused with the cinnamon and the wood of the pinecones (sans any pine needles). The ribbon candy may be combining with the cookie's frosting and adding sweetness to the scent, but it is not distinct to my nose.

I'm glad this wasn't a cinnabomb, and I actually like that I get some pine needles with the pinecone note early on, but it's not my favorite Weenie-turned-Yule sort of scent from this update, so I don't need more of it.

ETA: I retested this last night by slathering it on the back of my hand, so it didn't smell light to me anymore, and I think the hard candy note is more discernable after having more time to settle. However, I really wasn't enjoying the sweet cinnamon smell wafting up at me last night and decided to destash the decant.

Edited by doomsday_disco

first applied, it's cinnamon brooms. then it's sweet cinnamon candy. once the cinnamon decides to chill, i get some (verrry slightly pumpkiny) baked goods on the back end. agree with @starbrow that there's probably some anise in that ribbon candy. it takes a while to really come out for me, but i've been wearing portrait of an unidentified man dressed as a skeleton a lot lately so my nose finds it here too. it's a soft candified licorice, and much less prominent in this one than it is in man dressed as a skeleton. (so potentially not a deal-breaker if you dislike that note.) 

at first i thought this was pleasant enough, if a touch generic. but given a bit of time to develop, i find a really lovely kind of sweet n spicy cookie-type scent that i keep coming back in to sniff. 

Edited by MamaMoth