Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Marranitos

Pan dulce, anyone? These pig-shaped gingerbread cookies are a Mexican staple:

molasses, piloncillo, cinnamon, ground ginger, and vanilla, and a squeal of pink peppercorn.

This one was such strong spice at first that all I could really smell was spice, not even anything very distinct, just spice. Once it settled a bit on the skin though it becomes more sweet and mellow.

It reminds me of a mix of gingerbread poppet and sugar cookie. I think I am getting mostly sweet spicy ginger. I think a bit of age will smooth this one out very nicely.

Holy piggies! Gingerbread fans, you NEED this in your life. Not only is it the only gingerbread offering from Yule 2022, it's a fantastic one to add to the collection. Marranitos features one of the most zingy gingers out there. It shimmies and pops right away with its spicy backup dancers, ceylon cinnamon and pink pepper. This combo reminds me of the Cinnamon & Clove duet in the level of darkness and spice that tickles the back of the nose. I can't be sure there IS clove here, but my nose is interpreting the bright ginger and earthy pink pepper and dark cinnamon in a clovey way. 

Balancing out the spice with a bit of sweetness, the molasses stays dark and crunchy, even on skin. I have to avoid syrupy scents because of the explosion of sweetness they cause on my skin, and thankfully Marranitos is not syrupy whatsoever. The piloncillo (raw cane sugar) and vanilla and molasses are all baked down into a softly sweet cookie base for the spices to shine. This is the perfect kind of sweet for me. If you've been looking for a true gingerbread COOKIE scent, and you love spice, Marranitos should be your jam!

I think this is delicious and one of the standout gingerbreads of recent years. I even wonder if possibly this could get better with aging. Am I tempted to back it up? Yes. Even though I have so many gingerbreads I will probably never get through them all in a lifetime, I am a little bit obsessed with these piggies and want to wear it daily now.

I would wear this while: trying to remember what day of the week it is in the no-man's land of time after Christmas.

So VERY spicy OOB and when first applied, but then relaxes into spiced, buttered Graham crackers with that wonderful pepper kick that tingles in your nose.

Agree with other reviews about the spice! But I'm LOVING IT. I can pick up on the cinnamon and pink peppercorn in the bottle and on first application and then it does dry down into a nice gingerbread scent. This is absolutely my all star favorite from the Yules I snagged 😍 I got several compliments about it at work. One of my coworkers said it reminds them of chai spice as a perfume.

Marranitos is a gorgeous christmas cookie scent! I really felt like I walked by a kitchen when the spice cookies were coming out of the oven.  

Not sure how this ended up in my cart as I'm usually leary of spice, (cinnamon is a death note for me) but this blend works in harmony. This is reminiscent of gingerbread but very different than labs gingerbread note. 

I solidly conclude that BPALs gourmands keep evolving and improving! 

Sweet and spicy cookies. There's more going in the scent than just a spicy gingerbread note. While the sweet ginger baked good dominates, I do get a number of other spices, including the cinnamon and pepper. Warm, spicy, still very sweet. Overall a seasonal cookie scent.

such a yummy spice cookie scent, and pretty distinct from the (admittedly limited number of) gingerbread and cookie type blends i've sampled to date.  in fact i would go so far as to say that when i've come away a bit underwhelmed in the past, THIS is more like what i was always looking for! 

starts off strong with the spices, but they're very recognizable as dried spices, which is a neat trick. there's nothing fresh, sharp, or prickly about them.  on the skin, they quiet down pretty quickly, and then just serve to enhance the buttery molasses cookie, baked brown around the edges. 

would not be surprised if i end up with a bottle of this! 

Marranitos smells like a nice, spicy gingerbread with two ginger notes (a fresh, somewhat effervescent one and the deep ginger from scents like Shub) and a bit of a kick from the pink pepper. Texture wise, it's between a gingersnap and a fluffy gingerbread cookie but not full-on bready gingerbread. There's a butteriness to it that I also get from Frosted Pumpkin Spice Cookie. I feel like it's a melted butter note that would leave a bit of greasiness on your fingers upon picking up the pig-shaped cookie.

This is the best gingerbread scent that actually smells like gingerbread (I mean, Gingerbread and Lavender Sugar is more lavender sugar with gingersnap crumbs) that the Lab has released since 2013, and I'm highly considering a bottle before it goes away. (Plus, the label is cute!)

Delicious spicy pastry, syrupy sweet. On my skin the ginger really blooms and I agree it is very reminiscent of Shub, but there's a butteriness underneath. 

Delicious, spicy cookie goodness! Sickeningly sweet, though my teeth are more of the salt-lubber-kind. Still, hunger-inducing realistic cookies, gingerbread-ish. I'd say that, but make it slightly toasted with perhaps another red spice in there, the vanilla and cinnamon tying it together beautifully.  

Oh my word this is my fav of the Yules this year. I love a good gingerbread - sweet, spicy, ginger cookie, yes please! - and this is beautifully exactly that.

It's very reminiscent of Shub, as others have observed - it's that deep dark ginger, molasses and ginger and rich spice. But here it's also got a buttery cookie layer underneath - more a fluffy cake-y kind of cookie, a fresh baked good that you want to eat right now but it's just out of the oven and still hot. Love love love.

If there's a down-side, it doesn't last as long as Shub does on me - it's got a gorgeous initial throw, so I end up not putting too much on, but then it fades, and I have to reapply. Not that that's a hardship! But I might go through this quickly. Wondering if I need a second bottle while this is here, or if my beloved Shub is enough...

Wet:  SHHUUUGGGAAAAARRRRRUH, cinnamon, and vanilla.  I smell like I've been baking again. 

Semidry: The spices are out and it's warm, comforting...but the pink peppercorn is simultaneously screechy and smoky on my skin.  I don't like this note in the mix.  It's got a weird tang.

Dry:  

L wrist - inoffensive gingerbread cookie

R wrist - cinammon sugar with chewy molasses 

This is a foodie gourmand smell for late fall/winter baked good connoisseurs.

#reviewathon2023

As much as I adore these at the Panifica, the ginger pig in perfume form doesn't work on me. I'm getting a yummy ginger spice and cinnamon note, but also something greasy. I was liking it okay, talking myself into it, but then I had my dude take a whiff and he absolutely hated it. Mostly I think it's a personality clash...

Edited by Jenjin

I thought I would love this since I love gingerbread scents but unfortunately something isn't getting along with my skin either. I can smell the delicious ginger and cinnamon but there is a greasy buttered bread smell which I am not personally digging. I'm not a big foodie/gourmand lover so if you are you will probably love it!

Marranitos excels at capturing the traditional Mexican pan dulce classic that is a "marranito." I remember being sent to the panadería as a kid in Mexico to pick up conchas & bolillos for supper and without fail someone would ALWAYS request a piggie-shaped pan dulce. It was generally like an uncle or grandma, because the bready cookie itself isn't super sweet or fluffy or crispy or colorful. There was always something a little too wholesome about the marranito for it to be my top choice as a wild sweet-toothed kid, I preferred rainbow sprinkles and chocolate chips and fluffy pink conchas. In every bag of pan dulce there was ALWAYS a marranito, so I'm very familiar with the smell which now recalls warm memories. 🐷 

This perfume captures the smell of the raw brown sugar (piloncillo) and molasses elements without adding excess syrupy sweetness to the perfume. It is punchy and heavy on the ginger and pink peppercorn spice.The cinnamon reads as the drier sort (not the sweet one) which contributes to the overall dry baked vibe of the scent. It isn't buttery or sugary either, it almost has a weight to it, it's dense. This does not smell like your classic Christmas gingerbread, to me it is an authentic rendition of a marranito: thick n' bready, ready to be dipped in chocolate Abuelita as the novela or soccer game plays in the background. 

I personally cannot slather this, it's strong, a dot will do. Longevity ~6 hrs.