Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Silvertree

The Desolate, Deserted Trees

Trees opens with the beloved ho wood from Foot Warmer blended with a sheer oak, giving an impression of gently toasted sandalwood. The black pepper, despite being described as burnt, is neither obtrusive nor all that spicy, in fact I barely register it. Tobacco leaf really makes this sing, with the same ephemeral intensity of Vision of a Courtesan. White oud acts as an adhesive and amplifier more than an actual presence on its own, so if you have issues with oud generally (as I do) I would not stress about it here. I could not tell you what costus smells like, but I get a vaguely white-floral something-or-other that might be it. 

The woodiness is very gentle, buttery, and mostly on the wet phase; as it dries the whole baby blends into some real top-tier Coco Chanel vibes. There are a lot of similarities to Faster, Kittycat -- they don't smell the same but I had a similar "whoa this smells expensive AF" response to it.

This has the complexity of the best of the Shunga line, and it is definitely hard to describe, but this feels ** special ** in the same way that Vision did, and I wouldn't sleep on it if you are into any of the listed notes. Just lovely.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Sweet toasted sandalwood. If sandalwood could behave as a marshmallow does when toasted over a fire, it would smell like this.

Oak and tobacco blend in well with this first impression --- interesting how I notice oak more in the front of the inhale, and tobacco on the back end --- and there's a soft, complex woodiness even behind all these leaves and wood. Yet there is nothing wild or forested about this blend; it's entirely cultivated, sophisticated, and intentional.

Well-crafted.

Bought a full bottle off a forum member because of the two above reviews, lol. I really love the ho wood note, because I feel it's really outstanding in Under the Foot Warmer, but the white oud and costus made me nervous.

This is exactly as supreme_cOrt describes: classy, elegant and expensive smelling. A very posh, refined and sophisticated blend here. Truly lovely, and like nothing else I have. Very much a Coco Chanel vibe here, wide brimmed black hat and white silk gloves et al. This perfume wears pearls only, and would never be caught dead leaving the house without a complete face of makeup and perfectly styled hair.

A gauzy scent, rimmed in a cool floral ring. Warm woodiness underneath it all. Hard to pick out the notes, but this isn't a forest in a bottle, or even a barren tree.  This is a unique expression of the art and I'm really glad I took a gamble on this one.  I have been having a lot of troubles blind bottling in 2022, but this one is really lovely and I'm glad to have it. I have nothing else like it.

Sheer oak sandalwood, pepper and a touch of oudh. Dark. Masculine. Medium throw and great wear length. 

totally agree with the other reviews, this smells like straight sandalwood when freshly applied! reminds me of al azif or challenege of the ascetic. 

this does not change much through the drydown, still staying very reminiscent of sandalwood.

low throw on this one. up close to the skin it’s an elegant blend of resins. the throw and what sticks to my clothing is more reminiscent of the “blackened, burnt” qualities but in a gentle charry way, no bonfire smoke here