Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance: shining, moonlit ebony musk

with benzoin, myrrh, smoky vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg, and dried red chili.

This is so different from my other bottles of Raven Moon (2009?) that it's kind of hard to believe they're the same scent! If this is your first go-around with this one, definitely suggest putting it away for a bit. I know I'm going to, and I'll come back to it in a month or so to see how it may have changed.

Letting this version warm on the skin, I'm finding a bit of that delightful nose-tingling chili pepper I love so much in the dark and mature bottles I've hoarded, but I am hopeful a bit of time on this fresh bottle brings it out more.

I remember that when a friend and I first sampled this, it was unexpected for the listed notes... but nothing else about it.

It has rested longer now and flies closer to what one might guess. It goes on my skin downy-quiet at first, a barely there scent that sometimes happens when a blend has lots of notes and mostly of the middle and base variety. Freshly applied, I just catch a breath-soft smoky patch and that's about it.

The smoky patchouli grows and develops a little vanilla as this dries and matures, but it never becomes potent. There are hints of myrrh and dust. Surprisingly, though, I never find a trace of spice or black musk. I'm not sure if further aging will bring them out, and may never know, as this decant will probably go back to my friend tonight.

Raven Moon 2022 is pretty similar to how I remember the 2012 version smelling. Lots of myth and black musk, with a soft vanillaed patch in the background and the spices barely discernible. It’s nice but not a standout on me. 

At first I get mostly myrrh and black musk, a cousin of Haunted. The patch creeps in as it dries roughing up the blend a bit, but then everything is smoothed out again by the vanilla. I struggle to find the nutmeg or chilli on my skin. 

Super cologne/perfume musk. This one smelled very conventional on me. Musk, vanilla, and myrrh. Medium throw and wear length.