Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
radiantfracture

ISO Stone

I'm looking for recommendations of really good stone / rock and dust scents.

I'm interested in stone specifically -- not earth or dirt, which are also wonderful but different. Ideally the overall scent would not be predominantly floral or aquatic.

I feel like BPAL does some great stone scents but I'm not sure which notes are the ones that come together to form the stone smell. (Patchouli? I feel like it's often patchouli?)

Thank you so much!

I'm obsessed with stone notes too!

So far, I've really enjoyed Theoi Nomioi (The Theoi Nomioi are the gods and spirits of the wild: the countryside, the pastures, the forests. Under their auspices, untamed nature thrives, the beasts of the wild feast and multiply, the mountains reach to the heavens with their stony, snow-capped fingers, and the forests grow thick and dark with mystery), though there are a lot of tree smells here too.

I'm also obsessed with the concrete note in Summer Rain (A smidge of coconut milk and lavender mingling with huge droplets of summer rain splashing on wild herbs pushing through hot cement), a recent Lilith that's still in stock.

20 hours ago, feyofthefellwood said:

I'm obsessed with stone notes too!

So far, I've really enjoyed Theoi Nomioi (The Theoi Nomioi are the gods and spirits of the wild: the countryside, the pastures, the forests. Under their auspices, untamed nature thrives, the beasts of the wild feast and multiply, the mountains reach to the heavens with their stony, snow-capped fingers, and the forests grow thick and dark with mystery), though there are a lot of tree smells here too.

I'm also obsessed with the concrete note in Summer Rain (A smidge of coconut milk and lavender mingling with huge droplets of summer rain splashing on wild herbs pushing through hot cement), a recent Lilith that's still in stock. 

Ah! Thank you! Those both sound great. I have added them to my shopping bag...

Wow, just searching stone on the Lab site, there are quite a few LE scents featuring stone right now! Maybe you can find some secondhand decants floating around…

An Enchanted Cellar with Animals

A cacophony of feathers and fur, cracked clay and moist stone, scattered rushes, upturned herbs, red sage, and frankincense smoke.

A Summer Night

Salt-crusted stones, azure moonlight on pale sand, ambergris clinging to cream linen, driftwood, and rose-tinted sandalwood.

Columns of the Temple of Neptune at Paestum

Cypress wood and dry grasses, sun-baked stone, faded incense, and olive leaves.

Night’s Bridge (Stone and darkness) is the one that immediately came to mind, though I haven’t tried it. Should be plenty of reviews to peruse. 

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris is my favorite stone-featuring scent, though might be hard to find. stone and ancient incense, beeswax and lavender smoke

I’ve got a decant of Summer Rain to test, looking forward to see how concrete features! 

Seconding the Lab's Theoi Nomioi! This is my number 1 scent, both for the stone aspect and for the forest atop the stones. Theoi is really incredible and I've had my bottle since 2019. It is still one of my most favourite bpal experiences, because it is so realistic and perfectly captured. The stone note here is A+ and stays present for me for the wear time. Really really love the artistry behind this blend.

I would also have recommended Brimstone, but that can read less stone-like to some as it has a strong-ish smokey note. I personally really enjoy Brimstone but it it out of stock at the moment.

I do have a word of caution with An Enchanted Cellar with Animals, as both my friend and I have tested/worn her bottle -  if your goal is to smell like stones and clay, this will not satisfy you at its current stage of ageing. The clay and stone is very low in the scent/almost absent and doesn't break through the fuzzy animal musk/feathers and the sage/frankincense combo. Enchanted Cellar leans towards a high-end sage shampoo/spa vibe. It is not a bad scent at all but the stone/clay is not the star here.

The Grey Columns and Ice Age Baton have a similar stone dust vibe - like something I would expect to smell in a marble sculptor's workshop. 

Columns of the Temple of Neptune at Paestum supposedly is a really good stone and baked earth scent, but I haven't sniffed it personally. It is still on the forum but will be coming down soon. 

... Oh yes! And as someone mentioned, Cathedral of Notre Dame is really nice too.  More complex, with smoke and lavender also playing a big role with the stone. 

Just bopping in to say that folks who recommended Columns of the Temple of Neptune at Paestum are 100% correct. It is a wonderful sun warmed stone with olive blossom. It is one of the very few scents Inhave a backup bottle of.

Cold Spring, The Alien from this April's releases has cobblestone, and a company called Blood Concept has a really good stone perfume called AB - Top notes are Aluminum and Aldehydes; middle notes are Slate, Pebbles and Water Notes; base notes are Metallic notes and Virginia Cedar.

Nosferatu gave me the impression of being in a cave (with wine). Others have described it as "wet stone (... with wine)." I like it very much. The addition of the wine might ruin it for you if you're mostly going for rocks, though.