Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Dead Leaves, Praline, and Sheer Vanilla

This might need some resting, but a couple hours out of the mail box and the only way I can describe it is... dry and musty and not in a good way? I don't get any praline just yet, and the vanilla is sheeeeer, like a whisper or ghost of vanilla on the dry down. The dead leaves aren't sharp or bell peppery, so at least there is that. light/low throw.

I'll report back if this changes with rest.

...4 months later...

Okay, with rest I have changed my opinion. This is predominantly a gentle dead leaves note sweetened slightly by vanilla. I don't get praline per-se but I think it's lingering in the back there taking the edge of the leaves. I think this will be a good layering perfume

Edited by lithie

I had hoped that this would be in a similar family as Dead Leaves, Marshmallow, Pistachio Cream. I wouldn't say it is, though. Initially, the vanilla (and possibly how it's playing with the pecan) was going plasticky on me. After a few days of sitting, its already less plastic so I'm hopeful that it will go away entirely soon enough. 

This is pretty dry, the vanilla is very thin so its not getting too creamy. I primarily get the nutty scent of the praline, but no brown sugar which I expected to be there. It's not as sweet as I expected, and lighter, too. I'm not getting dead leaves as I know it, so I'm not sure how that's playing together here, but it does seem similar to the DL in the horchata blend from this year. It might be adding to the dryness. This smells much nicer as it wafts around than it does when I sniff my wrist directly, which in the past has been a good sign that it will age well. 

I'm on the fence on this blend right now and very curious where it'll go from here. I think there's potential for it to become very pleasant!

This is just amazingly beautiful!

It definitely has "dead leaves", but those are a backdrop to the real beauties of sheer vanilla and pralines

I get that lovely warm, caramel-y nutty scent - which is just the *perfect* amount of sweetness

The vanilla is definitely 'sheer', as it comes and goes as time progresses

The dead leaves are the dry, crispy, aromatic type - not at all like damp & decaying leaves (which would have been disappointing.)

Beth & the Labbies do wonderful work, and this one is another fine example of their expertise!

As I find with most of the Dead Leaves scents (the Marshmallow and Pistachio Cream of a couple of years ago being an exception), in the bottle this smells almost sour to me. Having had this a couple weeks now, that has settled a bit, and when applied, it quickly morphs into a lovely light dead leaf note playing against a soft, very sheer vanilla. I don't really get a lot of the praline yet. Right now, it feels a lot "lighter" than a lot of my DL scents. Quite lovely, overall.

I find this blend to be quite subtle and instantly wearable. The dead leaves are recognizable on application but not screechy or sharp. The vanilla helps bring the leaves and praline together, and the praline is fairly unassuming. I get the "warm, caramel-y nutty" impression mentioned above tossed together with the leaves: whiff of this, whiff of that. Nicely done!

More on a the subtle side. I get the dead leaves note, the vanilla, though I wouldn't describe it as sheer, and something else that's sweet and sugary, but it doesn't smell like praline to me. Neither half of the scent, the dead leaves, nor the sugary vanilla is super in your face and are both evenly matched on me, in terms of intensity.

I don't get any dead leaves here, maybe a whisper of a ghostly vanilla. What i also get is a note akin to white cotton or white suede, a bit smelling like iris and white musk.

As time goes by, there's a bit of a plastic vibe emerging, but it doesn't overwhelm the scent. Clean white sheer cotton/ cloth - that's the visual i'm getting.

This one starts off with an aggressively sweet and nutty praline note that goes a bit plasticky on my skin, with the more wet, cologne-like DL accord intensifying it. Fortunately, it calms down quite a bit on drydown, shifting to a not-too-sweet nutty vanilla blend, with a faint hint of dry leaves in the background.

In the imp I get a soft dead leaves enveloped by a gauzy, lacy vanilla. On my skin the dead leaves go weird for a little bit, thought this was going to be a dud for me but after 10-15 minutes it settled out beautiful. A soft true dead leaves, warmed and sweetened by nutty praline and gauzy vanilla. They are beautifully in balance, and each time I come back to sniff my wrist one of the components shuffles up to the front. One sniff is a slightly more vanilla forward, the next is slightly more dead leaves, etc.

Edited by roseus

A subtler, sweeter version of Dead Leaves and Vanilla Incense. Mostly the dead leaves note, a little warm and dry in this blend (maybe from the nuttiness of the praline), with a veil of lightly sugared vanilla. Very pretty.

Initially, this is a fragrance focusing intently on the dead leaf aspect of this combination of notes, that element of sweet autumnal decay and sour, earthy fungi farts that the Lab does so astonishingly well. Then, without warning, that aspect of the fragrance disappears completely and is replaced by a rich, rich, buttery vanilla custard.

This one is weird on my skin.  I get the clean aquatic cologne dead leaves for a bit and then there's more of a woody nuttiness and plasticy vanilla caramel thing.  I think I expected a stronger caramelized note.  The sheer vanilla comes off a little clean, sharp and white musky on me in the drydown, I think.  Low throw and doesn't last long on me.