Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

October 33rd

Don’t mind us, we’re just distorting time beyond all recognition to wring the last drop of fun out of the season.

Spiced bourbon apples, pumpkin soufflé, the dregs of your last PSL of the season, and a handful of candy corn.

Oh, this is amazing! The spiced bourbon apples are in the realm of an apple cider but much deeper, a little boozy (not overly) and with a rich pumpkin pie type note. Candy corn floats up delicately and isn't overwhelming. I'd say there's likely cinnamon in this for those that avoid. Spiced apples with spiced pumpkin is one of the best fall combos I've tried... but that shouldn't be a surprise should it?

My skin loves apples, but I don't always love apples on my skin. Lucky for me, even though I'm getting mostly bourbon apples and then pumpkin stuff, I must confess that bourbon apples with pumpkin stuff smells delish. Fully dry there is a suggestion of candy corn in the form of a light vanillic sweetness. Was hoping to get more candy and coffee from this - my two favorite food groups!

In my head this is Prairie Witch goes to Target. I like Prairie Witch on the prairie better, but I still wanna hang onto this one because I also like distorting time and hoarding BPAL. 😅

I have adored the lab's bourbon apple note since first experiencing it in hair gloss form. The moment I saw it in October 33rd, with all those gourmand friends, it jumped into a new order. I'll give you my impressions first of the bottle by itself: BOURBON APPLE. RAWR. This sings like a bourbon apple single-note to me. What does that mean? A sweet, rich, spicy apple that's been thoroughly corrupted into a boozy swirl until it's almost unrecognizable as pure apple, then soaked in an oaken barrel until it takes on a woody, dark heaviness. In other words, heavenly. I can smell something sweet and chewy-vanilla (that slight plasticky candy-corn whiff?), and dribbles of pumpkin spice latte that reminds me of Rite of Passage from 2021 Liliths, foamy and wispy and pumpkin dusty. I don't get much of the pumpkin souffle except in a murmur of faint savory amidst the sweet, like a toasted pumpkin note, but it's so faint that I have to press my arm up to my nose to catch it. The inside of my elbow is burning, suggesting some strong cinnamon, for what it's worth. I don't smell red-hot cinnamon (a note I'm not fond of), but I think some mulling spices cinnamon is here, along with clove and nutmeg and ginger for sure. I'm loving the sweet treats here amid the spices.

Then I had to compare it to my other bourbon apples. First up, Prairie Witch. A permanent fixture for now on the BPAL website, Prairie Witch has the recognizable bourbon apple in a fresher form (this brew is still a-brewing) and surrounded by grasses, hay, twigs, and other green and prickly bits. By comparison, Oct 33 smells so much sweeter and more vanilla-y, and Prairie Witch's vetiver stands out prominently. I feel like I would wear Prairie Witch for outdoorsy things, and Oct 33 for a cozy afternoon crafting session.

And lastly, there's the OG classic, the one that started it all, Bourbon-Soaked Apples Hair Gloss. This one is still straight-up GOOD. Less sweet than the others, and darker, with lots of the oak barrel soaking into the bourbon, and the apple cooked down into a boozy haze, and the perfect sparkle of lemon juice to give it dimension instead of just being all dark all the time. Spraying this just brings me instantly into the fall and winter time. I love it so, and if I wanted a cloud of bourbon apple, I would absolutely layer it with Oct 33 or Prairie Witch oils! 

Ultimately, apple haters are not going to enjoy October 33rd, but everybody else is probably going to find this is very fall and very joyful. If the notes sound good to you, they probably will be good to you! A gourmand's delight.

This is very much spiced apples and pumpkin spice on me, and I'm not complaining! The husband took one sniff and said "that smells like fall," and I agree - like standing next to a cauldron of spiced apple cider while also holding a spiced pumpkin hot beverage in one hand. (I don't want to say PSL because I don't really get coffee at all - just warm pumpkin + more spice!)

As it dries it alllllmost gets to be...too much spice? Hinting at Cinnamon Apple Spice Candle? But in the end it's not quite too much - there's some sweetness from the candy corn and some booze-sweet-darkness from the bourbon that keeps it multilayered and intriguing. Good for autumn nights!

This really is Fall in a bottle! Sniffing, I get the slight boozy apples and spice. On my skin, I smell the pumpkin. Sweet souffle pumpkin! Not sure if I smell the PSL and candy corn, but it possibly adds to the sweetness... which is in no way teeth achingly sweet. It is a wonderful semi sweet apple pumpkin bourbon fall scent!! I am very glad I got this!! ❤️ 

This smells wonderful. Spiced apples, creamy pumpkin and something sweet rounding it out. I usually don't have problems with spices but these left welts on my wrists, fwiw.

Tested again today and the burning was much less than the other day. It smells delicious.

Edited by HerbGirl

My experience (and my partner's experience!) is different than all of the other reviews! We both got cherry from this (well, my partner said almond/cherry), from the bottle and on our skin! So it's like spiced cherry and maybe some apple in the background??? I get no pumpkin souffle, pumpkin spice latte, or candy corn from this, and I don't know if the cherry is like, the Lab reusing some of last year's Spiced Cherry Bourbon in this blend and that's blending with the apple, but we're bringing out the cherry??? Or if there was a bottling mix-up or batch variation. In any case, I'm not mad. I'm down for my spiced cherry fate!

Edited by doomsday_disco

This is lovely! Spiced apples and pumpkin, with a creamy candy corn sweetness upon drydown. I get pumpkin first, but the apples come out right behind it. Just as described, and another wonderful addition to my collection! 

I think this might be The One for me….(& i “only” nabbed 2 bottles!!!! 🥺). Pumpkin, apples, bourbon, candy corn, sweet and spicy and autumnal and for me it’s right up there with 13 (last yr’s), and Cerberusish, in with the most delectable Bpal-ness. Just ordered Prairie Witch hoping to bolster my supply after reading forumites say it’s like oct 33 but outdoorsy. 🤞🏽