Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

The Unreturning

When far-gone dead return upon the world: wisps of spectral white musk and ambergris, blackened leather, yew needles, cypress boughs, gnarled patchouli root, and the memory of frankincense smoke.

i'm not even sure how to describe this. it starts with an almost effervescent yew/cypress fizzing up over a lightly rooty, pitchy base... champagne and pine pitch, maybe? a kind of birch beer/cream soda, brewed with some evergreens in the concoction? maybe there's incense burning in the room where you drink it. maybe it's actually a potion. 

i forgot i was wearing it for a while, until i realized that i was catching whiffs of something quite different... now i find ethereal, creamy musk twining with tendrils of the lightest, airiest patchouli and evergreen incense you can imagine. the early stage was an interesting oddball, but this... this is addictive. this may be the first time i've actually clicked with ambergris.  

Wet, I get an odd duality of two scents. One is an effervescent lemon-lime soda, similar to @MamaMoth. This is not my jam, but it's paired with the dark scent of an ancient forest. The frankincense smoke is curling through the branches of the trees, very heavy and mysterious at this phase. As it dries, it turns into a forest smell with that smell that spilled soda leaves behind, sticky and sweet.

I'm not a fan of soda smells so I wasn't thrilled to be surprised by that here. I'm digging the spooky forest aspect of this perfume, though.

It took about a minute after the effervescent crap calmed down to realize this is the frankincense from Totality, and it is strong. I love frankincense and will wear this but I had expected more complexity from this. 

A cosmic floral inkiness, like the atmospheric glitterings of black salamanders in love, like the glowing lunar movements of shadow people in the mica-flecked dreams of an ancient cave, like a dark song in a holy house at the end of time.

My favorite from this set of Halloween scents. The perfect melding of evergreens and magick.

The patchouli keeps it solidly on the forest floor, while the musk and frothy ambergris are a ghostly, clinging fog infused with the whiffs of resins burned at ritual earlier and cooling in the cauldron.

Spooky, dark, a little funky, but freshened by the evergreens. Love!

Resinous powdery calla incense. This smells spooky, dark, and chilly. Medium throw and wear length.