Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

L.A. River Pumpkin

An offering of sun-warmed pumpkin flesh anointed with slithering green musks, sun-dried grasses, pineapple juice, and squished prickly pear fruit.

Oh this is fun! It's those pineapple hard candies first and always. Prickly pear might be adding to the fruitiness;  if so, it's subtle. Pumpkin peeks out on the drydown, but it's overwhelmed but the fruit candy. Green musks? Dry grasses? They lend a slight greenish vibe, like a pineapple with the green leaves still attached (visual reference).

It becomes a liiiiiittle darker/ more autumnal once it dries, but that takes a while. And until then? Pineapple candy for *miles*. The throw is outrageous! Definitely a fun early summer scent.

this seemed like such a kooky collection of notes that i snagged a decant of this out of sheer curiosity. i've also been wanting to try blue or green musk in a non-aquatic setting, and this seemed like an interesting candidate. 

it starts as an intensely sweet and tangy pineapple candy. then the green musk takes over, which smells cleanly musky and exactly what i was hoping for from that. it's supported by the subdued but still candy-like fruit, which keeps a bit of its tartness. i don't get pumpkin or grass specifically, but there's a warmth underneath that keeps things in check.  

as it dries down further, the candy sweetness and the musk actually back off, and i'm able to pick up more of the grass note, which reads as somewhat hay-like to me. still no pumpkin to speak of, but there's some rich fullness underneath it all and that's probably where it's coming from. 

this actually ends up as a nice balance of light musk, sweet tangy fruit, and autumnal hay warmth. i think it'll have some fans! 

ETA:  i had to come back and add that late in the day, the haylike grass note really came to the fore.  this became a slightly sweetened, slightly musky hay on me, and i liked this late-stage development a lot!

Edited by MamaMoth

Bright, jooooocy pineapple floating in a sugar-syrupy Dole can. You know the stuff I mean?

That remains the dominant impression throughout wear. Before long, though, a little opened-up prickly pear joins in, along with something vibrantly green. It's not immediately musky, but the musk emerges with time.

Pumpkin is more of a background warmth than a distinct note at this river, and the grasses are an eventual hint. This is mostly about the fruits, with a little quirky edge of green and whiffs of musk.

This is lovely! It's a sweet fleshy pumpkin - no spices just the pure flesh of a pumpkin - warmed by light pear and pineapple. The musk is hiding in the background keeping it all from being too sweet or too candy-like. I also really do get a "sunny" vibe, as if all the ingredients were sitting out in warm fall sun. I got a decant of this but will upgrade to a bottle, that's how much I like it!

I get like... grasses and musk and some fruit from this? It hits a strong "new england fall" vibe, but I can't pick out the pumpkin or anything else specific. I think it smells a lot like something I wore in college, but heck if I can remember which bpal it's hearkening back to. Nice, but definitely not strong on the pumpkin.

Big bold perfectly ripe pineapple up front with a hint of dried grass. I don't know what prickly pear smells like, but the fruity elements of the scent have decent staying power. I don't particularly smell anything vegetal like pumpkin, and there's no spice to be found. The green musk is pretty tame - this does not seem to be the Irish Spring green musk from Frog Moon.

L.A. River Pumpkin is not nearly as weird as it sounds. It is primarily a pineapple scent with a realistic, juicy pineapple note for the first few hours of wear that becomes slightly more perfume-y when the dried grasses and a little green musk join in in the background. I do not detect any pumpkin and am not familiar enough with prickly pear to be able to isolate that, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were cozying up to the pineapple early on when the scent is at its juiciest.

I'm not big on tropical or fruity scents (aside from apple or citrus fruits), so this isn't really in my wheelhouse, but I am glad I got a chance to try it. If you're a fan of pineapple, don't let the other notes in this scare you away!

My partner does enjoy some fruity scents and likes the pineapple in this.

Watermelon pumpkin. The pineapple and prickly pear come out as fruity and juicy and I swear it smells like watermelon. So yeah, watermelon and a gourdy note of pumpkin. More summery than anticipated. Medium throw and wear length.

I am not a fan of this one, but I have never been a fan of sickly sweet fruity fragrances.  I get mostly pineapple, but it smells like mushy, syrupy, overly sugared, canned pineapple, and something that turns powdery and tart like crushed up sweet tarts candies thrown into canned pineapple.  The other notes all sounded interesting to me, but I can't smell any of them.  Not even any pumpkin or pumpkin spice.