Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gray sandalwood, packed earth, hinoki, patchouli root, myrrh resin, and balsam.

This goes on smelling like patchouli & earth, really nice.  

Later as it continues to dry and warm up on my skin, I'm getting aftershave city, the aftershave your uncle wears at Christmas, he hasn't changed his hair style since the 80's.  There are a few notes in Bpal that do this on my skin, I suspect patchouli does it sometimes, especially in combination with other notes (I'm looking at you, gray sandalwood).  I knew gray anything was a risk for me.  But you know what?  I like this.  Whether it has calmed down since I first tried it, or I just decided I was going to like it and that's that, I am not sure. 

Aside from the aftershave I do smell a nice gritty, gray scent that reminds me of Krampus a little bit.  [Edit: it also reminds me a little of Count Dracula]  I do think some other people are going to love this, and I want to love it just based on the art that inspired it.  Right now it's "like", not "love" for me, but like I said I'm not giving up.    

Edit: after several hours the aftershave feeling fades away and I'm left with a really nice myrrh incense scent, it gives me hope that this will just improve with age

Edited by forspecial_plate

dirt! the earth note hits first: dry and crumbly, sweetish. i'm getting zombi feels, with the rose swapped out for sweet myrrh.  but my memory may be off, as it's been a long time since i tried zombi,  and i cannot find hide nor hair of my imp. 

the myrrh gets a little aggressive in the first bit. maybe because my memory called up the zombi association, i'm getting an almost rosy tinge to it. but then this dries down as an earthy sweet-incense smell and i like it much more.

sweet powdery myrrh and dry earth are most prominent to my nose in the early drydown, with that lovely rooty patchouli gaining more traction as it wears on.  it gets sweeter, too, which i love.

oh, this ends up somewhere rather lovely. soft, sweet, earthy, myrrh-patchouli-woods incense. i think i can find a touch of balsam if i look for it.  i say soft because there's no sharp edges at all, not in reference to throw.  it actually has a good strong presence, and i feel like i'm radiating an aura of incense.  (no smoke, just the actual incense.)

i never clocked the sandalwood or hinoki specifically, but there's a lot of magic happening on the back end that speaks of incense and woods,  i simply can't pick it apart.

edit 3/2/23:

the patchouli has really bloomed in this one already! it still starts off as mostly myrrh and dry crumbly earth, but it settles down into this really lovely, softly dry, earthy patchouli incense. there are traces of myrrh that serve to sweeten it up *just enough*. 

gosh, i'm kind of taken aback by how much i'm liking this now.  💜

Edited by MamaMoth

Somehow I get Old Spice from this, which isn't a bad thing but, you know...

Also, this is now the 4th recent bottle that has been filled low, like just barely above the top of the label low. 

I'm unpacking and finding my Halloweenies from last year, but at least they're well aged now.  Farfadets is tons of sweet myrrh and I love anything with a strong myrrh note.  It's dark, reddish gold, a little spicy like cedar wood, and all syrupy sweet resin.  There are hints of warm earthiness and balsam wood and evergreen sap tones, but they melt pretty naturally into the myrrh.  In the drydown, the wafts of powdery, creamy sandalwood incense start to come through as well and just make the whole thing feel pretty and snuggly.  It's a love for me.