Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This yellow balsam is interesting: It smells to me like sprigs of balsam pressed and dried against yellow parchment. The leather, which smells a dull grayish-brown and indeed well-worn, adds to the impression I’m getting of an old leather journal, perhaps abandoned with everything else at a rustic explorer’s camp… its mysteries waiting to be solved.

There's a scent of candle wax, too, also a bit yellowed and even cracked with age. It’s a little creamy, still, despite its age and abandonment.

I don’t notice musk or mud, but there is a wan darkness and some dusty wool fallen into disuse.

Without looking at the art at all, this smells to me like a scent of rustic isolation and some manner of wistful departure, whether of an area, or of a life, is unclear.

Does balsam smell like hay?  Because this smells like a golden hay/leather/musk scent.  It's like the last warm breeze of summer before the leaves start changing color.  (I don't smell any leaves, it's just an image that came to mind).  

It's really nice, I just put on a little to test but it ended up being my scent of the day.  There's something kind of sparkly about it, not sure what that's about.  

I think this is a comfortable and uncomplicated scent for late summer/early fall.  Glad I took a chance!  

Bpal has the best leather scents.  This one smells like the peasants are fleeing to the horse stables - warm, well worn saddle leather, the honeyed sweet scent of dry hay, sunwarmed wood and earth, and a cozy riding jacket.  Barn wood always has a particular sweet scent to me, aged in the sun and sort of amber-y, and I get that scent here.  The dark musk isn't the usual black musk note, but something more warm, cuddly, smooth, sweet and kinda like musk stick candy, which gets stronger in the drydown.  I don't think I have anything else in my collection that smells like this and I really like it.

This one is very heavy on the musk on me. I'll second that it doesn't smell like black musk, but it is indeed dark. Somewhere in the musk is an incense note that is also quite strong. I think the yellow balsam is adding some sweetness. It doesn't read as candle wax to me, but my decant is a year old at this point. The leather makes an appearance during the dry-down of this perfume and then fades away into the musk. I don't get much of the mud-splattered wool at all.

I don't really get hay from this, but maybe it's the musk drowning everything else out. I'm not a huge musk fan so this isn't really for me, but it is a nice autumnal musk perfume.