Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hungarian pine needles, oak wood, black mosses, smoldering pitch, and bonfire smoke.

I first tried this really soon after I got it and it was scorch city.  I thought I had made a mistake.  Well, it just needed to rest.  

In the bottle, and first on my skin, this is a little funky and weird.  But I was brave today and put some on to test again.  It calms down really quickly and smells like clean, piney woods, with a little bit of smoke.  It makes me think of serene white incense smoke.  

Moss can turn on me sometimes but I don't smell much moss here, if any. 

I love Djinn, and that's why I took a chance on this, but this doesn't really smell like Djinn at all.  It's closer to Dead Leaves On Fire but not really like that either (I compared them).  Turns out I really like this and it's different from anything else I have.  I can imagine wearing this when there's a chill in the air outside and I'm in more of a serious mood.  It's moody. 

In the bottle: Dark, smoky pine pitch. 

Wet on my skin: Scorched, dark wood, pine pitch, and bonfire embers.

Dry: For years, I've been looking for a really true-to-life "bonfire in the woods at night" sort of scent, and I do believe this is it. This isn't a roaring bonfire, though - it's in the hours after the bonfire has peaked and begun to burn low, when the air is filled with smoke and ash and the air around you starts to get chilly now that the night breeze can cut through the fire's warmth. The pine and oak logs in the heart of the fire have burnt to charred husks, and clumps of gooey pitch blacken and then explode into sparks as new logs are added to keep the flames from dying. There's a little bit of spicy greenness from the pine needles and moss, but mostly, this is a dark, heavy, smoky-burnt wood scent. Very very atmospheric and scene-setting. This isn't gonna be something you want to wear to smell pretty, but if your aesthetic is "that creepy lady who just walked out of the creepy, dark forest and started floating above a group of terrified villagers," this might be your thing. It smells like this photo (plus more fire):

Concept boss: magar witch of the dark forest[ not my art but I thought it  looked amazing just had to share] : r/Eldenring

i was expecting perhaps some big scorchy, smoky, pitchy thing here.  what i'm actually getting is... leather? not aggressively leathery, but soft.  not shiny new chemical-laden leather, but not well-worn old leather either.  the leather jacket you bought last year, maybe.  you wore it a few times, last time being to a bonfire, then packed it away for the summer.  when the temperature drops this year, you pull it out, catching faint whiffs of woodsmoke and the forest. 

The image up there says it all.

Atmospheric, smoky pine pitch, and whiffs of greener pine needles and oak. 

Nocturnal Witches is mood.

The first three minutes is unbearable liquid smoke in a smokehouse. I feel some panic as it is very much not my thing and reminds me slightly of my favorite trader Joe's smoked trout. 

Miraculously the intense onset subsides and I am left with a pleasant bonfire plus some interesting soft incensey woodsy edges. 

I absolutely agree with zankoku zen's lapsang souchong assessment. 

Elegant scent version of a day after sitting next to a bonfire clothing smell.

Edited by Supertrooper Omni