Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet black musk, golden amber, cedarwood, catnip, and hay absolute with a shock of carnation, clove, and cinnamon bark.

Picture this specific cat familiar crosses your path, what would they smell like? A mishmash of antique wood, carpet dust, nefarious intentions, love potion spices, poisons and incense? Ding ding ding! Gooped Familiar opens with mischievous black musk, the familiar's fur immersed in the smells surrounding the sorceress. A familiar may witness it all, yet never betray your trust. 

This Weenie is a win! 🖤 It's mysterious and iconically witchy. The catnip adds an herbal flair that doesn't overpower the other notes, playing well with the slight lemon-y sweetness of the hay absolute. The sweet black musk and clove trot on golden amber for the majority of the scent, while the carnation smells almost incense-y in conjunction with the cedarwood and spices. Longevity is around 6 hours, sitting close to the skin for its duration. Gooped Familiar smells foreboding, like deadly secrets trapped safely inside a tiny black cat. 

that kitty got gooped alright, with a big dollop of black musk! 

black musk dominates the opening, and black musk is so hit or miss for me... it's either wonderful or awful.  happy to say that this is a good one: sweet and dry and somewhat powdery.  just behind the musk but loud and clear are a lovely dry cedar and sweet dry hay.  i'm reading the catnip as dry, green, and herbaceous.  it's subtle, but it's definitely there and it gives the whole thing some herbal lift.  it's a really nice touch.  the spices are there, but not aggressive.  the hay, cedar, amber, and spice give this a very labors-of-the-month, hay moon kinda vibe underneath all that musk. 

settles in as musky, cedary hay, which bears a strong family resemblance to bpal cats past (the cat, small brown cat) and does evoke clean, warm fur.

overall this one is dry, sweet, a touch herbaceous, and  musky.  i had wondered beforehand if the musk or hay might throw a lemony note, but i'm getting nothing of the sort.  i like it very muchly!

Gooped Familiar is mostly about the black musk, spices, and hay on me, with some amber cozying up to the musk. I get a blast of carnation with the musk when it is freshly applied, and it is a spicy red variety, but then my skin decides to amp up the spice and I feel like I get a ton of clove for a while, and then cinnamon. The hay and amber add a nice warmth to the scent, and the cedarwood isn't as strong in this as it is in other cat scents like The Cat and The Small Brown Cat (at least, that's the case on me). I wasn't able to pick out the catnip, but I hope that changes as the scent has a little more time to settle. (Otherwise, I'm chalking it up to my skin running away with the spices.)

I think this is a nice, spicy, cuddly cat scent, and I'm curious to see how this ages.

Whoa a TON of perfumey amber and furry musk! This is a great interpretation of a grey furry cat who's been rubbing up on some witchy spices and herbs. (Catnip!) The cinnamon bark and clove is recognizable from some recent duets and trios featuring those two notes. They are dark and dusty, rather than fierce and hot. They dance with an animalistic fur note that is not too funky - this cat has been bathed in the past month? - but a little rough around the edges. This is in rather stark contrast to the elegance of the grey amber - I know it says golden, but this reminds me of The Grey Columns if that scent had teeth - which puffs out in a powdery nimbus around the fur and spices.

I don't specifically get black musk, and I do enjoy a good black musk. Some of my favorite BPALs ever are Streets of Detroit, Dark Lace, and Bewitched. Same thing with hay - one of my favorite notes, but here it is almost more bonfire wood in nature than actual dry straw hay. I can get a bit of dark woody musky vibes coming out in concert with cedar and spicy carnation, a bit of sneezy dusty hay, but altogether this just reads as FUR to my nose. It's amazing how all of these notes combine to translate as a very realistic fur. 

And yet...the finished product is elegant and perfumey. What the heck? Do I like this? Am I uncomfortable with it? Like trying on an antique real fur coat. It's glorious, it's elegant, but would I actually wear it? I'm not sure. I think another month or two of settling - of ME settling into this scent - will tell. Right now, it's chilling like a black cat with googly eyes in my Weenies box.

Right off the bat I get a big goop of black musk backed by amber with a layer of spice on top. As it settles, it becomes less goopy, I think because the hay and catnip are coming out, soaking it up, and adding a layer that is reminiscent of dry fall grass. It doesn't dry out completely, though, and in fact maintains a bit of a duality to it between the rounder, sweeter notes and the dryer notes.

The spices are gorgeous and the way it all plays together gives it a smoky feel. BPAL's cinnamon bark is always a winner for me. I can't pick out cedarwood in particular, but I bet that is also playing a role in creating this woodsmoke vibe. It is in the same family as other cat blends like Small Brown Cat and It Was Just a Cat, but it is darker- definitely a black cat here.

I havent tried a lot of weenies from this year yet, but I think this will be my favorite. Its the kind of atmospheric fall scent that reminds me of a late October evening, always my favorite blends.

Out of the (cat) gate, this is black musk (with that lemon myrtle thing it often has) and hay with fluffy balls of fuzzy brown fur musk. 

After a few minutes, a deep golden amber and cedar creep in, with hints of clove and cinnamon.

This is going to be popular with some (like my friend whose decant this is!), but for me, there's too much fuzzy musk. This definitely evokes the kitty, though, and the art cracks me up.

Fuzzy, herbal, and cuddly! It's definitely a kitty-cat.

This isn't my usual wheelhouse, but I love the art and there weren't any notes I outright can't wear - and we've got a black kitty here at home, so I wanted to try it. It's definitely a soft furry sort of scent: black-brown fur, dried herbs, soft spices. It smells like a witch's...not quite kitchen, but store-room, perhaps, with dried ingredients and a small cat curled up on a chair to keep an eye on anyone coming in. It's a fun autumn scent, I think!

Now I get it. 

When I first got this, and even the first few weeks, it was an Old Spice jumble of a scent. Now, I smell almost all of the listed notes, interestingly in the order they are listed, which is neat with a long list. Mostly I get the black musk and cedar (lovely), with a touch of carnation, amber and cinnamon as an afterthought with the clove as the punctuation. This is really nice.

Edited by HerbGirl

*squints* Voodoo Queen, is that you? This to me smells like Voodoo Queen lite - not as complex or as many spices or intricate, but still that sexy musk with clove and amber. I bought a bottle and consider another. Great throw and wear length.

I love this scent from BPAL’s Witches, Sorceresses, and Sorceries in Art History collection for several reasons. One, because it is inspired by an element within The Love Potion created by Evelyn de Morgan, an artist whose lush mythical and allegorical paintings were associated with the later Pre-Raphaelite movement. This was an artist who defied the expectations of her class and gender to become one of the most impressive artists of a generation, whose canvases conveyed a profound sense of feminism, and spirituality, as well as rejection of war and material wealth, rendering them quite relevant today. She’s pretty fab and I love her. Two, because I love seeing derpy and weird animals in art. Not exactly in the same vein, as this cat, but I think Jamie Wyeth’s A Very Small Dog is my very favorite. And three, because this scent immediately brought to mind a certain cinematic feline. Giallo fans amongst you may conjure the image before I write another word, but Gooped Familiar is a fragrance that smells like opulence through the filter of fur. A perfume of spicy florals and musky amber that adorns the wrists of a beautiful and beguiling stranger with a heavily fluffed cream-colored Persian cat in their lap. When you bury your face in that fancy feline’s neck later in the evening, you catch the phantom of the perfume through the heat of the animal’s skin and its vibrating purrs.

I love black musk, like Execute Confession Module. I think the 'sweet' and clove elements gave this an almost scratchy patchouli feel, and I was sure it was here! I can see how others would describe this as a fur musk. It's nice, and very similar to other favorites - Kobold Barista; Dark-Eyed, Delightful - but a little simpler, closer to Thorns Clove Cigarette, from the herbal and hay elements, I think. If I didn't already have several in this vein, because I do love this mood, I would be thrilled to have this.

Hellooo cinnamon bark! I tested this from a decant closer to when it was released, but today was the first application from the bottle I ordered. I did not hold back applying it to my underarms and ohmigosh it's a bit spicy under there now!

Anywho now that my case of spicy pits is subsiding (sorry/yw), this gooped girl is all deliciously spiced cedar and carnation with a cuddly ambery black musk backdrop. There was more black musk when I first tested it, but not enough to prevent me taking the plunge on the bottle. This is a rare win for me in the black musk column and I will just need to remember to cool my jets on applying it to sensitive skin areas 😅

I like this one! I’ve gotten previous iterations of cat scents before that have similar spice/wood themes, but they usually feel washed out. I think between the carnation and clove the spices here tend to hang on and sweeten a bit. Black musk is a big star here, and the amber makes it warm and smooth. I wanted something that felt like Thorns Clove Cigarette without smelling like an actual cigarette. This does that, along with a sort of New Orleans style herb and incense shop.

I frankly love this. I thought I would just ‘like’ it but I’m probably going to buy a backup. I’m so glad a cat scent (I love cats) worked out for me!!!

First and foremost, I get a lot of dry clove with a backing of cinnamon. I can't really pick out the carnation very well, but that's probably just because the other spices are so loud. The cedar and hay work really well with the spices, supporting them rather than taking over. I think the sweet black musk and amber tie everything together nicely, keeping it from being a dusty spice bomb and adding a layer of soft fur that's just a little mysterious.

This is really nice and I think it evokes the image of an amorphous void cat very well. Seems like it'd be great for cool autumn days.

I quite like this, but my first thought was that it was something I'd smelled before, in Fledgling Raptor Moon 2010. It's not quite the same, but it is similar, a spicy-earthy-warm scent. The black musk and catnip are very soft; I don't really pick them up. The amber, cedar, and hay come together in to a soft, warm, earthy background for the cinnamon-clove-carnation spices. Definitely not "a floral", but the carnation is detectable, with that and maybe the catnip or hay giving it a slightly plantish dimension. I can see comparisons to incense, but without any sort of smoke or char.

I had a pair of other people give it a sniff; they agreed it was similar to but not quite Fledgling Raptor and noted that there was something about it that smelled "fuzzy" after seeing the bottle.

Edited by Ennikar

Gooped Familiar on me is black musk, cedar and hay with some warm amber giving it a perfumey vibe.  After a few hours it's sweeter and fuzzy around the edges with some spices to it, though I never (sadly) get my beloved carnation note emerging.  But it is still a winner on me, warm and comfy like a favorite feline and perfect for early fall.