Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Lightning Strikes Literature

The incendiary moment when a human hand snatches fire from the gods of creativity and channels it onto the page: a lightning storm stirred with beeswax candle smoke, yellowing notebooks, and pools of India ink.

Lightning Strikes Literature is primarily rain-touched ozone, sweet beeswax, and notebooks on me. The notebook pages really do smell like the yellowed pages of an old notebook. The ink isn't distinct on me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were lurking in the background, adding to this whole atmospheric mood. The ozone is the strongest note on me throughout wear, and it does threaten to go dryer sheet at one point, although I get more rain with the ozone over time. I really enjoy how the beeswax keeps it in check and adds a welcome sweetness to the scent. And I love that the notebooks don't have any leather!

If you don't like ozone, this probably won't be your thing, but if you like beeswax and bookish scents and aren't averse to ozone, you should definitely give this one a try. I think the scent really fits the name, and I think it would be fun to wear on a stormy night, or as a sleep scent. :) 

Edited by doomsday_disco

This blind-bottle was risky, since I don't know if I've ever tried the Lab's lightning scents or had much experience with the ozone note, but I really wanted to try it for the story inspiration, and the gamble paid off!

On my skin, this one started out very light and subtle, then deepened as it dried. At first, just a light, bright flash that I can't really describe, maybe a slight citrusy feeling with a hint of freshly washed fabric in the background. Then, soft thunder rolls in as I pick up the sweet beeswax and the ink, which always reads as a subtle white floral to my nose. The dry warm paper note is lovely as always and rounds out a beautiful light scent. It truly evokes writing a horror story longhand during an evening storm, I absolutely love this one!

This is a pretty, semi-powdery ozone with a mild, natural beeswax and aged yellow paper.

The ozone begins fresh but fairly quickly shifts more and more powdery --- and dryer sheety --- as the blend dries.

Lovely atmospheric blend that just unfortunately becomes too particulate on my skin.

Beeswax honey sweet deliciousness. A light citrus hint? I’m not sure what ozone smells like so I can’t comment on that, but there’s almost an atmospheric bitterness? 

This blend starts off with noticeable ozone, but accompanied by a beeswax note that keeps the ozone from getting harsh or high-pitched. This scent is a weird but lovely interplay between cool and warm notes, with fresh, cool ozone contrasting the sweet beeswax and slightly vanillic old-paper notes. This one's a likely bottle purchase for me.

Really have been enjoying this one! As others have stated, it's very ozone-heavy—it starts off very cool, blue, and kind of aquatic on me at first, and I only really start to appreciate the warm beeswaxy notebook-y base of the fragrance with wear. All in all, it's a very pleasant and fun morph, and I think I'll get a lot of use out of this one!

The other reviewers got it right. This is a light citrus beeswax mellowed with old paper. I'd wanted a beeswax Frankenstein scent forever and here it is.

While it's not not dryer sheets, the beeswax helps with that considerably. There's a faint bitterness from the paper and ink.

This seems appropriate for a cool spring day. Throw is slight to moderate.

Books, ink, and a whiff of a floral. But yeah, mainly smells like books and book ink. For those of you who remember India Ink, yeah, its that but with more book. Medium throw and wear length.

Oh, I do like this! But I don’t know that I am getting most of the notes. To my nose, it’s the electric peach and ozone-y vanilla that I envision this dream of a dress smells like, with maybe the tiniest, almost indetectable dribble of camphorous ink smeared on the skirts. A note that begins with “Dearest Mother,” and a foggy sense that one has slept too long in the moonlight.

This scent reminds me of the art room in high school specifically right after or during a lesson where calligraphy ink has been used. It's a very visceral scent for me and makes me feel more productive than any other scent I've tried, including Blockbuster. I got a decant from a friend and knew I immediately wanted to get a bottle of it for myself before it went away.

I gave in and grabbed this because I'm teaching Frankenstein this semester in my Monsters class! It's fascinating; I don't have anything else like it! I'm not super-familiar with most of these notes, but I love the whole idea and atmosphere.

First, I get...a cool white note, a little floral but very cool-floral, if that makes sense? White and pale and maybe a little misty? It's very pretty, though I'm a little surprised by the floral - maybe that's something about the ink? Florals aren't as much my thing (I like fruit, usually, or ginger spice, or sweet mint) but the coolness is making it interesting!

As it warms, there's a very neat soft vanilla-adjacent scent - it really is very reminiscent of breathing in the scent of old books, warm and dry and papery! Which is a scent I like - I've happily sniffed some of my old-book collection on occasion! - so I'm really enjoying that. It's not very sweet, just...warm? Almost-but-not-exactly-sort-of like some of the Lab's hay-vanilla combos? And then that warms up the cool floral on top.

I really do think of stormy nights and old books - this will be great in autumn, or to create a cool chilly feeling on a hot summer night!