Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Summer Rain

A smidge of coconut milk and lavender mingling with huge droplets of summer rain splashing on wild herbs pushing through hot cement.

Waiting 2016 is one of my favorite sleep scents, and there was no way I was going to pass this one up with lavender, rain, and cement notes.

I am happy to report that this is different enough from that scent to warrant owning both. The coconut milk here isn't really coconut-y and not foody whatsoever, it just adds a light, sheer sweetness over the top of the scent. There's a ton of herbs and rain on cement beneath the sheer coconut milk. It's got a clean, herbal, yet atmospheric vibe. The lavender in this, while noticeable, is not as strong as the lavender is in Waiting 2016 because the herbs are pretty loud here, at least on my skin. 

I slathered this on before bed the other night, and the scent was still going strong when I woke up in the morning. The sheer coconut milk was much stronger, along with the Lab's rain note (which I especially enjoy when it's not paired with any oceanic/sea salt notes, like in this scent!).

I'm really happy to have a bottle of this one. :heart: 

Summer Rain has been variable on me day to day. It sometimes sits and dries on me mostly as new-fallen raindrops, sometimes more as herbs and rocky cement.

This morning it's more of the latter, at first appearing with an airy, barely-coconut note that tapers off as quickly as steam rising from hot, rain-wet pavement. The lavender is quiet, even subdued, and blends well into the herbs --- which themselves smell to me like assorted herbs thrown in with a few tenacious cement-crack dandelions.

As a Philly girl, I love this as an idea of the summer storms here.

definitely a rain scent. herby, wet, and blue. slight creaminess from the coconut milk but does not smell like coconut specifically (kind of wish it did but i’ll live). it also doesn’t smell specifically like lavender. just green things in the rain with a little cream behind it. i don’t think it smells like cement but i can see why that would come to mind, there is something stoney in the background. another clean without being soapy scent coming from the Liliths this year! yay! finally clean scents i can wear!

i would totally use this as a body wash (or bath oil, hint hint) low throw, i will probably be using this as a sleep scent.

Lavender and coconut give this fragrance a nice softness that's not foodie. It compliments the rain/herb notes really well and it gives it an almost photorealistic concrete smell. This is a keeper! I suspect it will get even better with age, but it's really lovely just as it is fresh. A decent amount of throw too.

After I first got this, it seemed like a different herb took the spotlight. Summer Rain seems to have settled on lemongrass. It's bright and citrusy, springing up through a crack in pavement wet with a surprise afternoon shower. The other herbs are floral and grassy, not easily identifiable to me. The lavender is more subtle, like a sweet floral haze in the air. The coconut milk also doesn't read as coconut to me here, it's adding a creamy sweetness that brings it all together.

I like this quite a bit. It's definitely atmospheric. I think Summer Rain is more of a spring/summer Lilith, so it's going to hibernate for a while.

I've been loving this more and more as it has rested. At first, I found it a little soapy and hoped for more earthiness, but now all the different notes are blending into this almost rain-like musk? It's not really a musky scent---it smells clean---but it has this aura, like the mist from raindrops striking the pavement. I definitely smell lemongrass and lavender, and maybe a little sage or dandelion? And beneath that, the smell of just rained on cement. It isn't earthy in a dirt like way, but there's certainly that sense of gray stoniness. Maybe there's some ambergris here? The coconut milk is pretty light to me, but probably adds to the smoothness of the scent. 

I bought this because I was strongly craving a coconut scent, but I don't catch any coconut at all. Instead, it's a lavendery, rainy, soft clean scent, kind of what I expected Dirty to smell like. Even more amazing, I keep catching little whiffs of actual clean cement from this--no idea how Beth does it! I love rain scents. I love clean, crisp scents. So this is a definite keeper. But I'll have to get back on the hunt for coconut.

I usually try to stay away from more herbal lavender blends, but im continuously curious about lavender rain scents. This is lavender forward on me with the other notes defining the character of that lavender. Its herbal and lightly mineralic, but its not nearly as sharp or medicinal as some other herbal-leaning lavender blends. I dont get any coconut milk as such, but I think thats probably whats taking the edge off. It is my favorite rain scent so far, aquatic in a way that is reminiscent of the world after a warm rain though I wouldnt say it is a mimic of that smell.

Very pleasant, clean, and soothing!

A bit of context here: I grew up in Northwest Philadelphia, and one of my earliest and most sentimental scent memories is the smell of rain on the pavement outside my grandparents' house in the summer. Specifically, the smell of big, heavy raindrops just starting to fall on hot pavement, with the grass and weeds of the postage-stamp front yard and humid Philly summer air in the backdrop. So when I saw that the Lab was capturing the smell of a Philly summer rainstorm, I was sold. I wasn't sure about the coconut and lavender, but they're relatively minor players -- this is mostly an impressively close approximation of that rain-just-starting-to-fall-on-hot-pavement smell from my childhood, with a touch of greenery.  

This reminds me of Urban Undine, which I love, and I think that's why I grabbed this. But UU is already pretty far on the fringe for me in terms of cold, wet, lavender. This has an added element of lemony fresh to my nose, and I generally don't enjoy lemony fresh. I didn't get any coconut milk, which might have brought this around for me. But this will probably be a big win for folks who like Urban Undine, brisk lemon, or clean laundry smells.

Wet: Soap and fresh lavender.

Dry: Clean, lavender-scented laundry.

This is what I want my clothes to smell like! I think I'll keep my decant.

Smells like a sudden deluge of rain absolutely drowned an herb garden and the tender greens are all waterlogged and giving off an herbal-spicy scent.  The hint of rain on hot cement is there too.  The lavender and coconut don't come out for about an hour on my skin, but they add a really beautiful, super creamy, delicately sweet undertone to the rainwater and herbs in the drydown.  I expected this to turn soapy on me, but it doesn't.  It's very atmospheric and calming.