Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Spoopy Kid Assaulted by a Sunbeam

California Summergoth: sweet patchouli, sugar cane, cotton candy, golden amber, honeysuckle nectar, and vanilla ice cream.

Spoopy Kid is predominantly a patchouli scent on me. To my nose, it's the same chewy patch found in Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm, but it's not as sweet as that scent as the sugary notes in this aren't as prominent as BB/RR's vanilla on my skin. The honeysuckle nectar is noticeable, but not as heady as some honeysuckle notes can be, and nowhere near as strong as the patch. So it's mostly a lightly sugared, chewy, brown/black patch with just a touch of honeysuckle nectar on my skin.

Now, I don't dislike patchouli -- in fact, BB/RR has my favorite patch of all time -- but I was mostly here for the flormand aspects of this scent. But it's more SPOOPY KID than sunbeam. I'm hoping that, with some age, the honeysuckle nectar and gourmand notes gain some prominence. But it is a lovely patchouli scent that's going to make a lot of people happy (and it's going to sell out again).

I agree this is patchouli forward. It's a gorgeous patch reminiscent of the woody, chewy, almost chocolatey patch in Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm and Silky Bat. The sweeter notes back it up and make it pop. I notice the vanilla ice cream, cotton candy, and honeysuckle as the scent dries down, which are super pretty together. As a honeysuckle fanatic I wish that note was a little more forward, but I'm really happy with this overall. 

thirding the patchouli forward-ness as the others above me said, this is STRONK on the patchouli. i get tons of patchouli, honeysuckle, and some vague/general sweetness. i hoped all the sweet notes and honeysuckle would be the main notes, but it’s pretty much a slightly sweet !!!!!!!patchouli!!!!!! + honeysuckle for me

Fresh from mail tests, interestingly my experience with this one is different! I find myself wanting more of the patchouli, and while it's definitely there, the sweetness is dominating in this blend. Maybe my skin amps it? I smell a pale honeysuckle, cotton candy sugary sweetness, maybe sugar cane too because it kind of has this raw natural sugary-ness as opposed to more processed treats. Even though the patchouli is very detectable, I hope that it gets even stronger with age lol! But so far I really like it, probably my 2nd favorite of the 2022 liliths so far, after Haunt 2021!

Sweet patchouli is prominent right from the start, though it's hard to differentiate the different sweetnesses: we've got sugar cane, cotton candy, and vanilla ice cream thrown into the mix. To my nose, the vanilla ice cream is really the only one I can smell distinctly--and it has a French vanilla flair to it, as it reminds me of the French vanilla from Badgers--in fact, this scent could be Badgers kid sister, so if you liked that one be sure to grab this one! It blends well with the honeysuckle nectar, which adds a different, floral, sweetness that is not overwhelming. The amber provides a soft, warm base for the other notes to rest on.

This is really lovely, especially the 1st few hours. Confession: I put this on last night and reapplied this morning. Before the reapplication, there was a definite perfumey amber left, with a smidge of the patchouli. Not bad, but felt more commercial.

9/10, probable keeper.

this is right on the cusp of being something i could love, jumping out of the gate with oodles of glorious patchouli drowning in sweetness.  i can't differentiate ice cream or cotton candy, but it starts off with a kick of almost-lemony brightness that i clock as sugarcane. there's amber here too, though it is just lurking in the back and giving it a perfume vibe. i'm grooving with ALL that. 

but let's talk about that honeysuckle. oof. i'm not really a floral person in general, so it's no surprise that i find it fairly off-putting here.  i was hoping for a whisper of honeysuckle sweetness, but it's a loud, heady floral.  it  dominates the early stages, and to my sensibilities really clashes with everything else in this. i hoped it might die back on the skin, but no such luck.  she's here to stay it seems. 

i am uncertain if aging will mellow this out any, but i will give it some time.  really i just wish i could reach in and pluck out the honeysuckle. 

ETA:  i woke up having kind of a WELL DUH! moment.  of course the honeysuckle clashes, because it is the sunbeam assaulting the spoopy kid!  10/10 for execution of concept! 

Edited by MamaMoth

In the bottle: me to the patchouli 'don't start nothin' won't be nothin'

Wet: damn. This goes on particularly aggressive, high-toned patch with a thin layer of honeysuckle. Dries down a little bit calmer, but it might be too cool for this spoop. 

Wet: My power to give people diabetes at 30 paces remains undefeated.  SUGAR unrelenting.

Semidry:  Patchouli and slightly discordant bright/green smell have arrived.  

Dry: Patchouli and sugar notes are playing well together.  I can actually pick out vanilla now. Honeysuckle comes out late.  I kinda have to huff myself to the bottom of the test area to get it.  It's not as in your face as the honeysuckle/patchouli duet.

This gives me big Silky Bat vibes when first applied, but later it opens up to Silky Bat wearing a crown of flowers. I'm enjoying the honeysuckle, which I wasn't totally sure about, but having grown up in California with plenty of honeysuckle bushes, it conjures my youth. The vanilla in Final Girl is closer to "ice cream" to my nose.

Mine is amping the sweet and not as patchouli forward as the first comments, but I bought from after it restocked! A light, sweet patchouli absolutely drowning in ice cream and squirts of honeysuckle nectar. I'm not a floral person at all but thought maybe with patchouli and gourmand notes that usually love me I'd be safe- I was right! More than safe, it's a scent I want to keep going back to my arm to sniff. I do have to say it's strong and loud and slightly perfumey but the ice cream helps it not go into headache floral territory. Not getting much of the other notes, and it seems I'm the only one getting such strong ice cream. No complaints! Ice cream patchouli is something I'd love more of..

first test fresh from the mail: sweet patchouli and honeysuckle. i can't really pick out other notes but it’s sweet in a non gourmand way. i might be getting a bit of the amber, maybe sugar cane. it someone how takes on a bubblegum quality. i really can't decide how i feel about it. this reminds me of a Lush style scent but more sophisticated. has the best throw of the bunch of Liliths I got and after some dry time i think i really like this one. approachable, non offensive patchouli. this is definitely growing on me as it's becoming cleaner, softer, and more balanced.

now that it's been 2 weeks i can firmly say that i LOVE Spoopy Kid! It's one of those scents that smells better the longer it sits on you. I also really love how it smells on my clothes (all the sweetness comes out). I wasn't sure if I liked patchouli before but this has inspired me to try more patchouli scents and it's really becoming a favorite note. I almost want a back up bottle but one dot or swipe of oil usually does the trick so i think this will last and age beautifully!

I'm a patch fan but was afraid of the honeysuckle ... but I took a chance and yay!  The honeysuckle stays in the background for me and the patch comes forward.  And it's my lovely "goblin" patchouli (which is also in revenant rhythm and silky bat I believe!)

it's quite lovely and I'm happy I snagged a bottle from the restock!

Edited by twilighteyes

Silkybat got all dressed up to take Honeysuckle out on an date to the local ice cream parlour! That's it, that's the review, lol. I was hoping for more prominent vanilla ice cream and cotton candy, but I'm not too sad about it. Ageing will likely bring different aspects of this scent out, as I've only had it about two weeks.

I'm really enjoying this! I love all of the listed notes, and was very curious how honeysuckle and patch would play together. But I don't get much honeysuckle at all here, just patch wrapped in a very thin veil of fluffy cotton candy sugar. It's sweeter and less punchy than Silky Bat to my nose, and within about 30 minutes it's fairly light and there's a sort of smokiness to it? I'm hoping the honeysuckle will come up as it ages, but I'm also happy with this as it is!

Sweet patchouli, reminiscent of Banshee Beat/RR but sweeter. The patch is the same. Then HELLO HONEYSUCKLE! Lovely scent, and I'm glad I got to test this, but fortunately I have a lot of other patchouli scents in my arsenal and won't have to stalk for this. 

Classic headshop patchouli from my teens, with a general sweetness (sugar cane?) and syrupy honeysuckle. I’m not picking out distinct cotton candy or vanilla ice cream notes but suffice to say it’s a nostalgic, sweet, fun patchouli blend that I’m gonna want more of.

I've been letting this one settle for the past couple of months, because it was a very shrill beast when it first arrived. Now? Just lovely. It starts strongest on a sugared, earthy patchouli, and over time the cotton candy comes out, followed by the vanilla ice cream on full drydown. I'm always amazed when the Lab pulls off notes like that, because you see vanilla ice cream listed and you think, oh it'll be vanilla and creamy--nope, it actually smells like vanilla ice cream, which is so cool. And as far as the honeysuckle, I get an odd sort of floral as well that I'm thinking must be it, but having grown up around honeysuckle, it doesn't really smell like it to me--but then, a lot of things don't smell the same in perfume oil form. What it does do is attach itself to the patchouli, seeming to sort of amp up it's earthy qualities, which I think contrasts all the sugary, vanilla elements nicely. My only gripe is that after settling, it's much more quiet and becomes close to skin very quickly, and doesn't seem to last very long, requiring frequent reapplication. But it's so good that I don't mind much, it just means I'm really going to get through this one. I'd highly recommend giving it another sniff, it ages very well, especially if you like sugared patch.

Edited by Beary Strange

I FOMOed myself into getting this because I love sweet patchouli. I initially passed because I don't enjoy honeysuckle. So after a good long rest, of course I get a whisper of yummy patch, and then vanilla honeysuckle is doing a big old "nyah nyah" right in my face. Maybe I will put this in a drawer and forget about it and it will turn into something more pleasing, or maybe I will rehome it. 

I was curious about this, because i couldn't imagine what this... would be like. But, straight in the imp this was an ‘ew’, something gritty-greenish amongst overly sweet mix of sum’n.

However, on my skin this morphs into something closer to sunscreen.

...I can’t explain it, it doesn’t make sense. But this is a weirdly sweet sunscreen.

With my skin chemistry, the sweetness of the warm, sugary patchouli, gentle honeysuckle, and soothing ice cream make for a comforting cool weather blend.

The patchouli in this is so lovely, starting off like a smooth and chocolatey variety and then turning into more of a dry and spicy patch as it sits on my skin.  I was worried about the golden amber being musky or powdery, but it isn't at all; it's a warm, resinous amber undertone that melds into the earthy patchouli and makes it feel well rounded and cozy.  The cotton candy/sugar and honeysuckle nectar smell like a golden honeysuckle syrup poured over everything and the vanilla ice cream adds a beautiful, creamy, smooth vanilla to the drydown.

I love this and am considering a backup bottle.  It's like if Banshee Beat and Arcana's Titania had a baby.  I like that I can pick out the patchouli, amber, sweetened up honeysuckle, and the vanilla for most of the day before it starts to fade, with the vanilla coming out more over time.  It's a blend that really works for me.

Yep, its that classic happy-hempy headshop BPAL patchouli from Banshee Beat and Revenant Rhythm. I love it so much. I daydream about glowing jars of this patch oil tucked into dark corners of the lab. It's magical for certain. Spoopy Kid isn't complete love for me like BB & RR even though it is beautifully blended. I'm regrettably getting the coppertone sunscreen thing mentioned above, but hopefully after a bit of aging, the patchouli will deepen some of the amber and floral notes. I can see this being beloved if the "sunbeam" behaves on your skin. Going to give this one some time...

Edited by Jenjin

In the bottle: Powdered sugar and something floral.

Wet: Hello, patchouli! Then comes a hit of sweet floral that unfurls into something recognizably honeysuckle and actual vanilla ice cream? No way!

Dry: An earthy sweet patchouli haze with wafts of honeysuckle and a subtle artisinal vanilla ice cream smell. Have mercy! This is gorgeous. This is a perfume to wear when you're really feeling yourself cuz I cannot help but sniff my arms and bask in the self-gratification of smelling awesome. Bonus points for a little going a loooong way.

Hello! I've been out of BPAL forums for ages (though still a big fan and occasional buyer), but had to leave a review of this one. 

This is my fave of my recent big order. On me, it starts with about 60% Banshee Beat patchouli+sweetness, and 40% honeysuckle nectar - and by nectar, it smells almost like honey. I don't usually play very nicely with BPAL's usual honey note, but this is working really well on me. Definitely getting the "flormand" vibe. After about 10-15 minutes it becomes more patch-and-sweet-vanilla. As a big fan of BB I adore this one. VERY glad I got a bottle, might try and find backups!