Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

First Day of High School

Lavender sugar and honeyed mandarin with late summer apples, glittering vanilla musk, red chypre, and benzoin.

First Day of High School is strongest on the apple and mandarin on me, in the bottle and for the first few hours on my skin. I think this features a reddish yellow sort of apple. There's one point where the mandarin tries to overtake the apple, but it does not end up succeeding in that task. After several hours, it's mostly apple backed by some mandarin and some champaca-touched incense. Now... I don't know if that incense is the benzoin combining with something in the chypre, or if the lavender sugar features a Spanish lavender that has veered into that territory on me (it sometimes does). At the moment, I'm not really picking up on the vanilla part of the glittering vanilla musk, but I'm sure the glittering aspect of the musk is adding some brightness to the scent.

I enjoyed the apple and mandarin-dominant phase of this scent, but I did not enjoy the apple and incense nearly as much. I'm hoping that the lavender and vanilla musk emerge more with age, so I'm going to let my bottle sit for a while and come back to it later. In any case, this is one for apple fans.

Sampled my sister's bottle. I really like this one; it starts strong with a gorgeous, hazy lavender sugar note and bright red apple. To my nose, the mandarin adds to the fruitiness of the apple, but I've never been that good at picking mandarin out. The resins, chypre, and vanilla musk take over on the dry down, though the apple remains throughout. Overall, it's a perfumey, sophisticated apple that balances fruity sweetness with sharper notes in a pretty way. 

In the beginning the apple, mandarin, a bit of lavender, then the glittering musk shine. This is my favorite part, in the bottle, and on the skin the first 30-45 minutes or so. Almost if Glittering Apple and Gobo had a baby.

Some citris blends give me a Halloween vibe and this is one of them! If you like Hexennacht's Tiger Tale or Thorn and Moon's Black Cat, this has a similar vibe initially.

The later phase on my skin goes nondescript powdery resin/benzoin with a hint of dry mandarin and apple. It's not bad, but I wish the glittery Halloween bits stuck around. I don't mind reapplying though. This is fresh from the lab, so some aging will help marvelously I think. 

5/5 first phase, 3.5 second phase. 

also forgot there was sugar in this, I don't always gel with the note and had no issues here! ;)

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

Red fruity vanilla goodness! Can't test this on the skin unfortunately, but this is such a happy, rainy day scent!!

Tart, crisp, juicy apples with the honeyed mandarin making them feel all golden and glowy.  There's something almost fizzy and effervescent about this, champagne-like, but minus the actual booze part.  I rarely enjoy apple scents, but I like this one.  It's sweet and so cheerful and makes me want cider and fall weather even though we aren't even really into summer yet.  The lavender and musk start to come through in the drydown and make me think of lavender oil on a soft sweater, slightly powdery-musky.  Over a half hour, it shifts from the gorgeous apple opening to this lavender and powdery musk entirely.  I wish the fruity opening stuck around for longer.