Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Cherry Red

Cherry Red starts off with a blast of cherry (like the cherry outside of a tootsie pop), sweetened by sugar and grounded by the fruity red musk. I amp red musk, so it goes through phases of more cherry! No, more red musk! on me. And by the end of the day, it does end up as more red musk on me, but it still hasn't completely lost the cherry.

My partner loves this because they love cherry and don't mind red musk. I like it, but I don't love it as much as some other cherry scents from the Lab because of the red musk. But I do think that some musk is probably needed, otherwise the cherry would likely disappear. It's a keeper, but it hasn't stopped my search for more of my favorite BPAL cherry scent.

this is lots and lots of musk on my skin - which tends to not work for me, but i wanted to try this one anyways. 

the cherry that is there, smells bright red and sweet and i LOVE it - if only the musk was not there. 😭 i think this will be a major winner for anyone who loves cherry, and musk. i am not a musk gal 💔

I am having the same experience as @doomsday_disco with the red musk, on application I get little and maybe even none (I am wondering if the softness in the background is the musk). I am super excited because I had hoped a scent with multiple cherries would over power the red musk (It seldom works on my skin and tends to dominate other notes in blends for me). If there is red musk on my skin then, it presents itself as a background softness only.

So having declared this scent would appear to be safe for some red musk haters, lets talk cherries.

In bottle this is indeed Luden cough drop like. And I anticipated would go on skin heavy almond since Maraschino cherries have almond extract in the syrup, and it does go on the skin as almond, but not as much almond as Moon When The Cherries Turn Black which was heavy almond on application for me. In the first five to ten minutes the almondish top note disappears on my skin and then I am left with the Bing Cherries and Sugar dominating the fragrance. This phase puts me in mind of F#@k!  And its my favorite phase as F#@k is a cherry winner for me. 

The almond free Bing Cherry and Sugar phase that reminds me of F#@k stays linear through first hour of wear. I am going to come back to this review at the three to four hour mark and report what the last stages of dry down present.

This is a keeper on me, and I am so glad I splurged. I have been “cherry shy” and avoided cherry scents after a sad almond blasting run of  “I do not smell cherries only almonds” in 2017 that left me believing all cherry accords would fail on my skin. Super fun to have Beth prove me wrong! 

TL;DR: Brief disappearing almond, do not fear the red musk, sugary cherry reminds me of F#@k. 

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

Man what an epic time for cherry in BPAL’s! First Moon When the Cherries Turn Black and now this…

Heady, musky, sweet cherry delight! Red Cool Aid & Cherry Tootsie Pops with extra musky sugar! Very evocative of the hair color it’s named after. If you love Cherry, you gotta get this one.

Maraschino cherry is a hard top note to keep in the skin for very long, so I'm not surprised when it fades after an hour. After the bright sweetness of the cherry has faded, you're left with a soft, sugary red musk (a plus if you like the Lab's musk) which is nice. I was hoping for the cherries to stay longer, but I have Marashino cherry and Champagne for that I suppose. It's still a really pretty, smooth blend and it lasts for 4-5 hours on the skin until it fades. I still get little wafts here and there from where I applied it on my neck. 

Edited by jiggahava

Smells just like the way that color makes me feel. It's a playful, bold, happy scent, sweet and very cherry. There's a tinge of marzipan, a twist of musk, and a comforting sweetness. I'm judicious with my bottle purchases but this definitely qualifies. It's so cheery!

Lots of maraschino cherry right off the bat. This lasts for an hour tops as the bing cherry edges its way in. Gorgeous rich dark red cherry. And then that melds seamlessly with a fruity red musk as if it were a cherry musk. This note usually takes over on me, but the cherry pins it down nicely, while the musk gives it some throw and staying power. I love this — I am sure to reach for it during cherry season!

Cannot add more than what has been already reviewed, however I think it will be PERFECT when aged a bit. I'm getting some Jailbait vibes and think Cherry Red has potential to take its place in my heart. Right now the Cherry Tootsie Pop and the Red Musk are competing, so I'll be putting this away to open next year when, hopefully, they will be entwined. 

OK, been wearing this for the past 4 days solid, and it gets better and better with time.  It's a perfect balance between "little kid/candy cherry" and "just starting to do grown up red musk as a teen."  The sweeter side, as others have noted, really is like the red licorice Twizzlers and the cherry Free Bank Lollipops from my childhood, and the red musk just kind of hangs back in the background grounding everything but is definitely there.  This is a great gateway scent if you're afraid of red musk.  I LOVE red musk and therefore had to have this one, but it's a lot less potent than in other blends.  Also getting pops of the Lab's maraschino cherry blend; reminds me of some of the cherry HGs from a few Lupers ago (which I may pull out later for layering purposes). 

In the bottle: Light cherries. It reminds me of the cherry note in Hollywood Babylon.

Wet: Bright candided cherries. Not cherry candy, but not quite the almond extractness of maraschino cherries. Crystalized cherries along with a blast of red musk. A dash of spice? Cinammon? Clove? I can't tell, it's shy and possibly some sort of olfactory hallucination.

Dry: A beautiful blend of crystalized cherries and red musk with just a hint of that something spicy that is probably just my skin chemsitry doing weird things. 

This was a very loud red musk with a faint cherry jolly rancher when I first got it, but the scent notes promised me cherries and sugar and I banked on time bringing these qualities out. Time has done its work and the red musk has calmed down enough to give the cherries and sugar their rightful place. Very strange to get the spice note on my last test. It's never shown itself before. Another unexpected thing is that the bottle is a little cloudy. It still smells great so it hasn't gone bad, but I've never had a bottle turn cloudy on me before. Odd.

In the bottle - Cherries, cherries, and more cherries - sweet and red. Can actually detect the difference between the bing and marashino. Very sugary. Hint of red musk.Very luscious and juicy - could almost drink the bottle. Syrupy in the best way.

Wet - T
hat red musk comes out immediately, very strong. But the cherries don't fade. The bing and the marashino start to blend. But I'm living in a sweet, juicy, cherry cloud. The musk is only really apparent when I put nose to wrist. But the syrupy cherries stay juicy and sweet. Still nice and sugary.

Dry Fades down to red musk with just a hint of cherries. Still very sweet and sugary.

I have a couple cherry forward scents from bpal, and this is by far the sweetest. Sugary sweet cherry with a background note of musk. The bright maraschino cherry note is the first to fade on my skin, but it is definitely front and center upon first application. What’s left is generalized sugar cherry with musk. The sugar plus musk combo is slightly reminiscent of Smut, but in an extremely toned down way, and obviously with cherry.

Finally got my hands on this one and it did not disappoint! I have a bad sinus infection but had to test anyway. From the bottle it’s a yummy tootsie pop cherry which is what I wanted! I was scared of cough syrup and thank goodness this never goes that way. On the skin it was a sugary candy cherry. So yummy! Had decent throw and staying power considering I could smell it at all so I assume it’ll be stronger when my nose gets better. This is definitely the best cherry scent I’ve gotten so far from BPAL. 🍒

i'm not a cherry person so i avoided this scent when it was released. i recently saw it for sale on a secondhand post and picked it up out of burning curiosity/FOMO because i really love red musk. sniffing straight out of the mailbox because i couldn't wait.

this is really like the perfect cherry for no-cherry people like myself. i don't mind the scent of that almond extract/maraschino note that i typically associate with "cherry" notes, however once on me it tends to go full bathroom cleaner/urinal cake. despite all the cherriness of the note list, this scent does not smell like almond extract to me either in the bottle or freshly applied. i agree with some above reviewers- cherry lollipop is the perfect description for this scent in the bottle. freshly applied it's still very candy sweet. as it dries the musk comes out more, becoming a seamlessly blended, almost boozy sweet, cherry red musk. still no almond extract in the drydown, and definitely not fresh fruit, this is all about the cherry candy. 

really nice addition to my collection of red musks and def agree with other reviews that this seems like it will age beautifully. one sad part for me is that my skin ate up the small test patch

ETA def seems to wear quickly, after 2+ hours on me this is a sweetish musk with much less cherry and then quickly dissipated not long after. decent throw

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

Wet: CHERRY. This reminds me of a Luden's cough drop and cherry kool aid. (To me, that's a good thing!)

Dry: Not as punchy of a cherry anymore, but it's still a fairly sweet cherry scent on me. A little bit of musk. A whole lot of yum.