Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
KittyHamilton

Scents with "Victorian scholar studies mysterious grimoire in a haunted manor by candlelight" vibes?

Assume it is night and thunder is crashing ominously. There are definitely ancient paintings of aristocrats on the walls that seem to follow you with their eyes...but it must be a trick of the candlelight.

A list of adjectives that might be more useful:

Gothic, Victorian, antique, diabolical, mysterious, magical, haunted, morbid, decadent, tempting, scholarly, eldritch, decaying...

That's a lot of stuff, but I don't expect any one scent to hit everything. But if I were to put together a small collection to suit the vibe, what might be in it?

I am particularly interested in knowing if any limited edition scents that are currently available come to mind!

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by KittyHamilton

Perhaps PhilologusAncient books, crackled parchment, faded incense, and candle wax. "The Philologi are scholars and philosophers that have dedicated themselves to the pursuit of knowledge, utilizing their extended lifespan to further their research. They are usually reclusive, and some were once Transeo that have rejected the bustle of human society in favor of solitude."

Lurid Library! 

Undead Home of the Vampire King atmo also comes to mind... 

Edited by neptuneanblues
figured I might as well add another scent

Dee:  His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Scholar's Tower: Gleaming amber spheres, polished cedar and mahogany, sweet parchment, inks of frankincense ash, and soft plumes of incense. 

Kit: Mysore sandalwood  a tattered and patched 16th century waistcoat, inkstained, still scented with the marjoram and benzoin dry perfumes of his youth.

These are maybe thematic jumps, but they feel like they fit the vibe too, and would layer nicely with the above:

You Get What Anybody Gets - You Get a Lifetime:  An unimaginably ancient scent, older than time. The gentle, fluttering embrace of oblivion: myrrh and blackened champaca blossom, attar of oudh, black amber, Casmir wood, and dried fig.

Nosferatu: As soft as grave dust and as dry as a breath drawn within a long forgotten crypt, this is Nosferatu: desiccated herbs and gritty earth brought to life with a swell of robust and sanguineous red wines.

Edited by rhonorv

18 hours ago, MonBon said:

Perhaps PhilologusAncient books, crackled parchment, faded incense, and candle wax. "The Philologi are scholars and philosophers that have dedicated themselves to the pursuit of knowledge, utilizing their extended lifespan to further their research. They are usually reclusive, and some were once Transeo that have rejected the bustle of human society in favor of solitude."

2 hours ago, ziggystardust13 said:

Philologus for sure!

Two votes for Philologus. Majority rules, I'll give it a go! thank you!

17 hours ago, Area51Fugitive said:

Endless Corridors.

16 hours ago, neptuneanblues said:

Lurid Library! 

Undead Home of the Vampire King atmo also comes to mind... 

Oh know, it seems these ones are limited edition Halloween ones? It's breaking my heart in particular that I missed out on the Haunted House ones. Thanks for the suggestions though! Maybe I'll hold out until Halloween to make my order and see if there's anything suitable this year...

18 hours ago, scentedbythesun said:

Mary Shelley

I actually have this one already, at least I thought so, but the Imp's Ear seems to have disappeared. Maybe time to grab a full bottle.

2 hours ago, rhonorv said:

Dee:  His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Scholar's Tower: Gleaming amber spheres, polished cedar and mahogany, sweet parchment, inks of frankincense ash, and soft plumes of incense. 

Kit: Mysore sandalwood  a tattered and patched 16th century waistcoat, inkstained, still scented with the marjoram and benzoin dry perfumes of his youth.

These are maybe thematic jumps, but they feel like they fit the vibe too, and would layer nicely with the above:

You Get What Anybody Gets - You Get a Lifetime:  An unimaginably ancient scent, older than time. The gentle, fluttering embrace of oblivion: myrrh and blackened champaca blossom, attar of oudh, black amber, Casmir wood, and dried fig.

Nosferatu: As soft as grave dust and as dry as a breath drawn within a long forgotten crypt, this is Nosferatu: desiccated herbs and gritty earth brought to life with a swell of robust and sanguineous red wines.

Oh wow, this is a lot of great recommendations! You really went above and beyond. Thank you!

Gonna put myself together a new wishlist...

May I recommend The Witch/Strega? She's available on the site and really fits your description, I think: Leatherbound tomes and rose cream, flickering flames of twin ambers, and a cascade of shadows: black oud, teakwood, black beeswax, 13-year aged patchouli, cinnabar, balsam, sweet labdanum, tonka bean, and smoke.

i would say quintessence of dust from the OLLAs. beeswax and smoke, yellowed paper and well-worn leather books, droplets of spilled ink, faded incense, blood-tinged salty tears, and the metal of the knife that skewers that illiterate zombie philistine’s portrait. its the most photo realistic book smell to my nose, in my experience. with a beeswax candle in the corner a tinge of metal. i feel its one of the most cut and clear 'dark academia'-ish bpal scent

Edited by ginfizz

Sign in to follow this