Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Vanilla Cream, Pistachio, and Macadamia

When I first applied this (and without any deathmatching involved), this reminded me of Comparison of Celebrated Beauties, a past Shunga that also features vanilla cream and has almond blossom instead of pistachio of macademia (vanilla cream, mimosa, and almond blossom). The pistachio in this does have a cherry vibe to it that's strongest when applied, but that aspect lasts on my skin for a while, although there is some true pistachio nuttiness beneath it. It's mostly vanilla cream and that cherry plus pistachio combo on me for a while, with the cherry fading with wear and the macademia becoming more prominent with the vanilla cream by the end of the day and no more pistachio to be found. I haven't worn it in a while, but I think I prefer the vanilla cream and macademia here to Ivory Vulva, as there's no coconut.

I'm probably going to have to deathmatch this with Comparison of Celebrated Beauties to see if I really need both once this has more time to settle and age, but it is a nice trio (if you don't mind getting that cherry almond vibe from some nut notes).

Aw man, ever since turning forty, my frequency of Menage a Troising has declined precipitously.

That being said, every now and then, this old, grizzled, gray furred wolf stirs and gets intrigued by the skimpy underpinnings of a delectable and promising trio, so when he, bleary eyed and without a budget, stumbled upon this combo, he was 'huzzah!' and 'stir forth my loins,' as well as 'maybe I'll have ramen this week!' to get this into his paws.

From the bottle sniff, it's an interesting, very pistachio-forward nut smell, with just a bit of that vanilla butteryness.  I detect no macadamia... yet.  This is that moment when you've opened that door and your Grindr trio for the night appears.  Trepidation and definitely a lot of 'not what I was expecting' is the name of the game... as I slather a smear on my back of my hand, it mysteriously smells extremely strong of... butterscotch?  But just for a moment, maybe that's pistachio as he ruffles vanilla's hair a bit.  Macadamia is down the hall, complaining that there's too many stairs and 'is this guy worth it?'  The butterscotch, odd sharpness, fades, and I think there's maybe the smell of a leaf or some kind of greenery.  Maybe pistachio nutmeats.  Nutmeats.  Heh.  

Oh wait, macadamia stumbles into view.  I don't usually encounter macadamia, it's just rare, or maybe I'm just not normally macadamia's type.  At this point it's mostly pistachio and macadamia leaning forwards, the macadamia leaving a sort of... toastiness... aura around him as he sidles up close.  For me, maybe too close?  I am reminded of a very distant memory of that One Christmas Everyone Gave Us Mauna Loa Macadamia Clusters But We Were Too Kind to Not Eat Them For Weeks Afterwards, wherein my childhood was schmears of milk chocolate and pieces of macadamia lodged in my back molars, desperately trying to dislodge the creamy triangles, but instead only amplifying the nutmeats swirling in my mouth.  ... nutmeats.

... heh.

On me, fairly quickly, the two nuts become pretty indistinguishable and vanilla remembers he left ... something... in his car, and has to go.  No!  Don't go!  You're the basic bro I wanted in the first place!  Pistachio looks a bit irritated and resigns himself to just, I guess, putting his hand on my shoulder, while Macadamia leans his bony thigh a bit too sharply onto my crotch.  Ow, bro!  Bruh!  My nutmeats!  (heh)

This has pretty low throw on me and very modest sillage, which I guess is good, since when I'm done, Mr. Nosy Rosey McPeekison has her apartment door cracked wondering what all the hubbub is, but by then, all the guys are gone.

Certainly if you like the smell of nutmeats, fire up this baby, but it's nuttier and less creamy on me than I thought.  And all I really wanted was vanilla playtime, hah hah.  Oh, Grindr.

Edited by Lycanthrope

:sad: something in this smells really soapy on me, in like a public bathroom hand soap kind of way.  maybe the pistachio? i really don’t know. it’s very powdery. smells good in the bottle, terrible on my skin 😭

Edited by kaileycatface

In the bottle and freshly applied, this is straight up pistachio macarons.💓 This magical phase gives way to a strong, perfumey stage that isn't precisely soapy on me, but I can see it reading that way. The perfume calms down after a while to give way to what to me smells exactly as described. It smells like decadent homemade vanilla bean cream and pistachios, with a fairly strong perfume aspect to it. I can smell the macadamia nut if I really seek it out, but the macadamia is merging together with the pistachio at a distance, which I think is why to me this smells firmly pistachio and not cherry. It's a delicious scent with a moderate to strong throw that lasts for hours and hours on me, even through work. You better believe I grabbed a back-up. Also, I am now completely in love with the Lab's pistachio note.

Heads up though, this is a scent stainer so dab and slather at your own risk. 

I don't usually get cherries from nuts, but this one goes there with bags packed.

After a few minutes, the cherries settle down and I can focus on the other friends. Pistachio (I can only see him with a mustachio), dapper fellow, is both a little nutty and a little like melted green pistachio ice cream when arm-in-arm with his associate Vanilla Cream. They skip together in perfect sync, in sepia, twin moustaches and Victorian carpet bags.

But later Macadamia shows up and turns the scene toward a more tropical thing... time for vacation, boys. I try to pull away from these associations and just think of nuts, not tropical nuts versus dapper nuts, just nuts, because it's getting a little disjointed.

Nuts. This is very nutty, and also creamy, and I'm good with it.

Wet, this is super pistachio. It does have that cherry-like quality of a nut extract at this stage, but that fades for me. The vanilla cream comes in strong as the scent dries. I do get the macadamia nut as a background player, adding a deeper nuttiness than the light and playful pistachio.

There's depth in the simplicity of these three notes. I get notes of lemony sweetness at some points of the dry down. The vanilla is thick and sweet at the wet stage and eventually becomes a fluffy cloud as I wear this.

I really like this trio. All the notes are winners for me and they go together very well.

the pistachio pulls a bit cherryish to start, but that fades pretty quickly.  then it's melted pistachio ice cream! creamy, sweet, and nutty. 

Wet: Pistachio! Heavy on that cherry-like pistachio scent mentioned by previous reviewers. 

Dry: The cherry scent is totally gone now. This is... a sugar-free pistachio ice cream? I can't pick out the macadamia at all, but I can get the vanilla cream now. It's not very sweet on me, at all - an understated vanilla/pistachio scent. In a good way!

Starts off strong on the cherry and vanilla, but turns into something very, very soapy on me. Have to echo other who said this smells like bathroom hand soap on my skin. There is a little nuttiness if I search for it. I've never had pistachio or vanilla cream go soapy like this, so I guess the macadamia is to blame. Now I know, and this decant is off to a better home!

I do get the impression of the classic cherry-almond scent briefly on initial application, but that subsides for me. Weirdly I think I'm getting the macadamia during that part. Then it goes very vanilla cream for a bit, and finally I get some pistachio nuttiness. I'm not getting soap or powder in the drydown, but I prefer the pistachio cream in the 2020 Dead Leaves blend.

Tried a decant of this.  In the imp it is heavy pistachio with cherryish undertones.  In the imp, I really like it.  It's definately pistachio ice cream.  Unfortunately, on me the pistachio disappearred and left me with a vanilla cream.  I have tried pistachio scents from another house and the same thing happenned.  I wish the pistachio stayed strong through the dry down.  It makes me hungry to sniff it.

I thought I got "Vanilla Cream and Almond" by mistake when I first applied it.  It has that cherry vibe. As doomsday_disco said, even when you can recognize it as pistachio rather than almond, it’s still a pistachio that’s heavily cherry-accented! Pistachio extract rather than the experience of eating actual pistachios, you got me? The vanilla cream is heavy and super-sweet, while the macadamias’ presence is only felt in a very slight buttery richness.  Let’s call this cherry-vanilla ice cream studded with pistachios, that’s how it feels to me. Which is nice.

In the bottle: Pistachio extract.

Wet: A quiet vanilla and a loud pistachio extract.

Dry: Still a whole lotta pistachio extract. There's a subtle vanilla and something kinda fatty. Not sure if that's the cream of "vanilla cream" or if it's the macadamia. I get why people are getting "cherry" from this. That's extract for you. Not exactly cherry, but cherry adjascent. Anyway, this is really nice and makes a great sleep scent.

In the bottle and once on, this is a big, creamy gourmand, with the vanilla cream out front. At this stage, it's sharp (more like nut extract than nuts), more than a little plasticky, and generally Too Much. It does calm down a lot as it dries down, and the scent gets more realistically nutty, with a slightly creamy backdrop. Not quite pistachio ice cream, but adjacent. I can see myself reaching for this when I'm in a gourmand mood (and have the time/inclination to let it calm down after application), but I don't need more than a decant.

This smells like a pistacho macaron. So pistacho, creamy, and delicious. Medium throw and wear length.

Nutty scents are so iffy on me and this one is going really weird on my skin.  It starts off with cherry almond extract and sweet vanilla and then shifts into an awful, weird, bitter mid-stage that smells like.. burnt nuts and rusty metal?  Then, right when I was about to try to scrub this off of my wrist, the vanilla takes over again and smells like a rich, buttery, sweet vanilla cream with some powdery undertones.  It smells sort of like a sweeter Love's Philosophy at that point.