Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Crushed pearls, shimmering birch, and pink abalone draped in a thick, velvet mantle of russet musk, peru balsam, tonka bean, labdanum, and oud.

Another sneaky gorgeous blend from the August paintings! It really does smell pearly pink, but it's unexpectedly warm and sweet, in spite of the cool, inorganic* shell quality dancing around the periphery. How does she do that?! The russet musk, labdanum and oud create a soft, stunning base - it's absolutely not a scary oud. Stays close to the skin. Great for date night or anytime you want to feel shell-pink pretty.

*I guess technically shells are made of both organic and inorganic stuff, but hopefully you know what I mean. it smells like shells!

Edited by LavenderCoffee

At first, Shells is pearlescent pink abalone, with whiffs of salt and musk.

The musk creeps in more noticeably during drydown:, at first just salty, then shifting closer to its own russet musk thing.

However, sometimes I amp salt, and this is one of those salts. The salt soon overtakes most of the russet musk and pearly abalone on my skin, and the blend becomes mainly a sea-washed-and-dried salt scent. It's a thin outline of salt crusting a shoreline as the tides ebb, though without much of a salt-crystal granular texture.

I was not sure about this originally, it had a heat note to it that put me off, especially after the opening notes had been pretty and pink and shimmery. A few months later I'm testing again, and whilst that heat is still there at the beginning, it's much softer and fades back. I end up with this beautiful sophisticated 'pink shell' scent, like a mermaid Queen surveying her kingdom. This is warm beaches of an evening, restaurants and fancy drinks along the front.