Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Billowing clouds of mallow flower, cream, and peonies, soft blushing amber, corn kernels, budding wheat, and spun sugar.

Just got this today, and I couldn't wait, so this is an out-of-the-mailbox review!

So far Ceres is just lovely - I don't get much peony, which is fine, I was mostly here for the mallow and cream and corn! It's beautifully blended; all the notes swirl together. It's a creamy, sweet, sugared corn pudding, on my arm: homey, autumnal, golden, warm, and rich.

Honestly it's sort of like...a really, really good creamed corn casserole, but I mean that in a good way, I swear - I really love this! It's foody but in that sweet-corn way, not like cake or bread, so if you like the Lab's corn note plus creamy sweetness, you'll want to try this! Pretty good throw, so far, though it's only been about twenty minutes. 🙂

This got to rest for two days before I tried it.

Ceres, my girl. I don't even know what to make of you. :lol:  At first, I get vanilla cream poured over almost popcorn... I say almost popcorn because it's not like straight-up corn but it's also not exactly popcorn, although to me it is closer to that because of the butteriness. There's some wheat in the mix that's along for the ride, and then the peonies join in, but they're pretty subdued here, and eventually the spun sugar pops up for a bit, but it settles down into a buttery vat of cream and (pop)corn with touches of wheat and amber. What a trip.

When I bought this, I was like, well, it might be too similar to Oberon, Titania, and Puck with Fairies Dancing as they share some similar notes, but I should get it because it's just so weird, what if I get a decant and love it and it is sold out? Well, let me tell you, despite some note similarities (Misted mallow flower, orris root, osmanthus, white incense, sandalwood, peonies, and cream), Ceres is NOTHING like Oberon, Titania, and Puck, so you're safe trying this if you are down to smell like buttery corn.

I'll probably let this settle for a month to see if it changes, but Ceres might be too buttery for me. I'm not sure about these corn kernels. :lol: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

This bottle just arrived today but I wanted to say how much I love it. It is so unique - I have nothing like it in my collection - and smells like a creamy, sugary, non fruity cereal in the best way possible. Lovely.

Cap'n Crunch!!!

Edited by HerbGirl

I was also hesitant to bottle both Oberon/Titania/Puck and Ceres, but the label art is very informative. If you wish to smell ethereal/of the other realms, you go with the Fairies, if you wish to smell of the cloud nine goodness of the bounty of this world, you go with Ceres. A rich harvest of the earthly things we love: cream, corn, wheat, and sugar. Much more floral in the fairy blend, much more foodie with our rosy cheeked agricultural goddess. 

I was a little worried about the corn note because I don't think that corn actually smells good in a way where I want to smell like it, lol.  I only get the corn impression for the first minute or two on my skin, though, and then it smells like freshly baked cornbread and not just.. corn. 
Then Ceres goes through a stage where I definitely smell the floral and cream, like flower petals floating in milk, with a perfumey/musky edge to the floral component and a little sourness in the cream, but not like spoiled milk.  I still don't love it for this first half hour or so, but then it shifts into something beautiful.
The spun sugar and warm amber join in after a while and it goes through a stage where I smell like a floral cotton candy with a musky, amber-y perfume underneath the sweetness.  It's wonderful. 
Then, after about an hour, it settles into my favorite stage where it's a soft vanilla cream and puffed cereal scent.  It smells golden, gentle, creamy and lightly sweet.  I've been wearing this to bed since I got it because it's quietly comforting.

popcorn?  cereal in milk? but also perfume?  this is so hard to pin down.  foodie, but not.  sweet, but savory.   very unique and interesting!  i had to try this out of sheer curiosity, and i'm really glad i did!

i can't say it's my scent vibe, so i'd probably never wear it out.  but it's oddly comforting, so i will hang on to my decant for when i want something soft and pretty and weird to wear at home. 

Corn puff cereal, but make it perfume. I love blush amber and sugar notes (the combination here reminds me a little of Round Dance, though they are different on the whole), and the hay-ish wheat note balances with everything else in a very satisfying way. This is unusual, pretty, and cozy. 

I love so many of the notes in this- mallowflower, peonies, cream but I had never tried the corn note before so wasn't sure what to expect.

When first applied Ceres is dominated by the mallowflower, cream and spun sugar. I don't even notice the corn at first but after about 10 minutes it becomes more dominant along with the wheat. At this stage I'm reminded of some kind of cereal that has small marshmallows in it or marshmallow and cornflakes. As someone else mentioned above, if I put my wrist to my nose I do smell creamed corn ... with sugar and marshmallows.... a very unique scent which is fitting for this time of year. I also think it suits this goddess, I can remember reading somewhere that the word cereal comes from Ceres.

Edited by becca_s

Ceres is a soft, creamy sweet floral and IMHO about a 2 on the Big Frag meter. Gentle and stays close to the skin. 

I DO get the Lab's Peony that is featured in Little Flora except Ceres is sweeter and gooeyer. 

The corn and wheat are present but in this bottle (after months of aging) they blend well and support the other notes. 

This scent is so unique and FUN! Love it! 

I don't really get corn, which I'm %100 okay with. I get more of a husky, musk, cream of wheat smell, loaded with lots of butter and sugar, sitting next to a vase of fresh peonies.  Ceres reminds me a bit of a foodier "In Omnibus Caritas," but the peony and amber are quite present and keep this from being just a straight up gourmand.  I feel like a sexy Miss Muffet would wear this. I think I can resist getting a bottle, but I'm very happy to keep my imp, and highly recommend anyone who likes these kinds of creamy grains scents to check this one out.  It's very nice.

P.S. I would slather the heck out of this if it was a lotion.  Mmmmmm....

Can’t believe I forgot to review this one. It’s a delicious corn cereal scent but not at all too corny. Like Pops cereal. It’s got sweetness and not too much peony for me. I don’t do florals usually and this is lovely. The label is pretty too which is a bonus. Medium throw and wear length. 🌽

I get cereal milk with a bit of very soft florals. Its sweet and rounded out by the cream but not too thick. I think I expected the amber, florals, and maybe the wheat from keeping it from going too foodie, but that's not the case for me. My partner also took one sniff and said "cereal!", its been hard to pick out much else. That being said, it's been sitting for a while and is less foodie than when I first got it, the peony (I think?) is coming out more.

As someone who wouldnt go for something described as cereal milk, it is oddly pleasant especially as the floral starts to peek through. It feels very dreamy and feminine to me.

Ooof! From the bottle this is SO in your face kinda strong!! And it's that way on the skin too; to me it's this very expensive, very sugary sweet thick, but fluffy cookie? Maybe with some pink sprinkles on top. Agreeing with the corn cereal mentioned a few times before, but it's one of those American cereals, like. SUPER sweet. I personally don't want to smell like this, but i sure want to eat it!! :yum:

Buttery popcorn and sweet marshmallow. This smells like kettle corn to me. Medium throw and wear length. 

On me this is primarily corn that leans a bit creamed or casserole-y, creamed wheat, and peonies with sugar. I can pick up the mallow close up, but it's those notes that lead the throw. Corn and wheat don't sound like something you'd want to smell like (or at least they didn't to me), but turns out they smell great all sugared up. After a while,  it dries down to sugared cream with peonies and the amber comes a bit more forward, rendering the whole thing more perfumey that it starts out, but I can still pick up the corn in wafts. Love this one. 💕

Like corn pudding with plenty of butter and brown sugar…rich and sweet and corn-y! It’s not a completely foodie blend, the mallow flower, peony and amber do elevate it to something even prettier, although they’re all very soft, faint notes.  I love the lab’s oat blends and this is the first corn one that I remember. Love it. This will go on my bottle wishlist.

This is strong on the corn and wheat, and is what I imagine a fairy cereal would smell like. Puffed corn dotted with tiny marshmallows and peony infused cream. The mallow note is much more pronounced on my skin than the peony. 

Unique and comforting, but too corny for my personal taste.