Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Peach Glazed Donut with Mango Chunks

I really hoped someone else would chime in on this first. We'll just have to hope that everyone who comments after me has a different experience than I did.

Because I get no peach-glazed donut with mango chunks whatsoever. Instead, what I get is Indian food. Specifically, basmati rice with cardamom pods in it, but there's also some cumin for some reason. There is a light fruitiness (more peach than mango) accompanying it, but they do not go well together at all. I wish I could say it's skin chemistry, but it smelled this way in the bottle, too, so maybe it's just my sniffer that's cursed.

Donut, why hath thou forsaken me? 😭

Edited by doomsday_disco

hmmm okay, well, this is not indian food for me, thankfully - but it’s definitely not what i was expecting. 

this smells LOUDLYYYYY of very tropical dried mango. like ~deeeeeeeeeeeeply~ mango. and a little bit of syrupy canned peaches. but mostly mango. no donut, at all. 

this is a no for me, but glad i tried it. 

I've been resting and rolling this one, hoping to give it a fair shake, since I am also not getting the donut. I read Kailey's review and sniffed my bottle and said "what mango? where?!" But alas, this is still not playing well with my skin chemistry. It's yeasty and vaguely peachy and slightly off putting, like the donut was undercooked. Someone somewhere has the magic touch for this and will get all the donut glory.

I had a similar experience to @doomsday_disco but the cardamom pods and cumin are more balanced with the fruit notes on my skin. Wet, the spices are very strong and bitter, overwhelming everything else. Thankfully, this evens out as the perfume dries and I end up with a cumin and cardamom-spiced mango donut. There's something crispy and fried in here that makes it read as donut and not mango curry. The peach doesn't really make an appearance, but it could pretty easily blend in with the mango.

I had a similar experience with Cafe de Olla Fried Ice Cream Jammed into a Coconut Cream Pie, which ended up being a cumin party. The spices are behaving themselves here and it's an interesting effect. I might have to wear this more to decide how I feel about it.

In the bottle: ... Uh, a watery floral? Like the inside of the skin of a mango.

Wet: Ok, that floral is now turning into a peachy smell. But not the usual BPAL peach note that smells like sweaty armpits on me. This smells like overripe Saturn peaches with a bit of spice.

Dry: Cinnamon sugar with just a hint of fried dough and the memory of peaches. Alas, no mango. I am a fan of the cinnamon suger though. Normally, perfumes with cinnamon are very loud and overpowering on my skin, so this makes for a nice change. It's like being just outside a donut shop right when they open and the donuts are fresh. Glad I took the gamble! This will make for a nice layering note for my cloyingly sweet foodies.