Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vase of cut flowers, a leather journal, a dribble of ink, and salty sea air.

This is a light, kinda airy atmospheric with new notebook pages and a tiny amount of ink being the most prominent things i smell (heavier on the notebook pages). I am also getting a whiff of green freshness in the background from the cut flowers, but I don't really pick up on any saltiness in the air right now. I think it matches the artwork quite nicely, it has like a cool breeze feeling to it, peaceful! I don't think I'd need a full bottle though as this type of scent is a bit too clean for my tastes.

Airy and floral aquatic-blue musk with a brush of warm leather and, at first, only a lil pinch of salt.

At first, this is quite floral, refreshing, and blue. As time passes, it grows some powder on my skin --- still blue, but becoming blue-powdery, like the dust of sea fairies on coastal blooms.

After it has dried, it grows a lot more salt on me, and it starts to remind me of the salty residue on skin after the seawater has evaporated.

This clearly evokes its art.

I love writing and pen ink and I have this fantasy of one day writing novels from the comfort of my beachfront home with the windows and doors thrown open and the sound of waves and the scent of salty air all around me.  I'm currently trying to find a new home in Florida for this very purpose.  One of my life's greatest pleasures is being on the ocean during a moody, cloudy day.  It has such a specific and awe inspiring energy.  Today is a little too moody, but hopefully everyone makes it through this hurricane unscathed 💝.

The Blue Door starts off all about the "vase of cut flowers."  It makes me think of a vase full of puffy pink peonies and a couple lilies, giving off a sweet and creamy, realistic floral scent with crisp, clean (but not soapy), green stem, like the scent of walking into a florist's fridge.  The floral part is soft like true flowers, not musky/perfumey or sour.  I can kind of smell notebook paper, but if I didn't know that this was supposed to be a writer's scent, then I would have just attributed that crisp, clean edge to being a part of the floral.   Around 45 minutes, the salty, refreshing ocean breeze starts to come in and gain strength and I can't get over how well BPAL captured these scents in this fragrance.  Around the one hour mark, I can smell tiny hints of a mineral ink and masculine, black leather, but they're underneath the creamy floral and salty air.  This perfume is so evocative of sitting down to write with the windows open, your space filling with the scent of the ocean on a stormy day, hints of pen ink and leather, and a big vase of flowers next to you on your desk, a gift from someone who loves you and supports your writing endeavors.  It's so moody in the best ways and I will probably get at least one backup bottle of this beauty.

I've been so thrilled with my last few bpal orders.  I usually have a couple misses in my orders, but the latest updates have just been full of hits for me.  The Blue Door really speaks to part of my soul and makes me very happy.

In the decant and on application, this one leads with fresh, stemmy florals and polished black leather. The combination of the two is a little too sharp for my liking at first, but as it dries down, the florals and leather soften and the salty air note comes to the fore. I wasn't a fan of the wet stages, but the end result is clean and atmospheric.

That is a lot of salt air and flowers. It's a nice mix of flowers, with no one kind standing out. I did get some ink for a bit, but, sadly, no leather. It's definitely an aquatic scent.